- "My name is Benatu Eshu. As of this message, I am no longer a representative of the Zambesi government."
- —Benatu Eshu[src]
When Mari McCabe was still an unnamed baby, the Zambesi Village was attacked by the forces of General Benatu Eshu, a local warlord. He tried to kill Mari McCabe's mother and take the Anansi Totem, but was overpowered by the totem's magical powers. In anger, Eshu burned down the village.
At some point, Eshu left his military career to become an ambassador of the Zambesi government in the United States (Earth One). In reality, he used his position to hunt for the rest of the Zambesi Totems. After gaining the fire totem and using its powers to threaten Detroit, Eshu denounced his affiliation with the Zambesi government.
- M'Changa Province
- Zambesi Village
- Amaya Jiwe (relocated to the United States; joined the Legends in the Temporal zone)
- Benatu Eshu (moved to Detroit, United States)
- Kuasa (moved to Detroit, United States)
- Mari McCabe (moved to Detroit, United States)
- Mari McCabe's mother (moved to Detroit, United States)
- "Taken" (mentioned)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow