- "My name is Benatu Eshu. As of this message, I am no longer a representative of the Zambesi government."
- —Benatu Eshu[src]
When Mari McCabe was still an unnamed baby, the Zambesi Village was attacked by the forces of General Benatu Eshu, a local warlord. He tried to kill Mari McCabe's mother and take the Anansi Totem, but was overpowered by the totem's magical powers. In anger, Eshu burned down the village.
At some point, Eshu left his military career to become an ambassador of the Zambesi government in the United States (Earth One). In reality, he used his position to hunt for the rest of the Zambesi Totems. After gaining the fire totem and using its powers to threaten Detroit, Eshu denounced his affiliation with the Zambesi government.
- Mari McCabe's father (deceased)
- Benatu Eshu (moved to Detroit, United States (Earth One))
- Kuasa (moved to Detroit, United States (Earth One))
- Mari McCabe (moved to Detroit, United States (Earth One))
- Mari McCabe's mother (moved to Detroit, United States (Earth One))
- "Taken" (mentioned)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- "Abominations" (mentioned)
- "Raiders of the Lost Art" (mentioned)
- "Turncoat" (mentioned)
- "Land of the Lost" (mentioned)
- "Moonshot" (photograph)
- "Fellowship of the Spear" (mentioned)
- "Aruba" (mentioned)