- "I've had 20 years to come up with the perfect trick. It's going to be my masterpiece. My Mona Lisa. My Breaking Bad season five."
- —The Trickster
"Tricksters" is the seventeenth episode of The Flash and the seventeenth episode overall. It aired on March 31, 2015.
A copycat killer who goes by the name “The Trickster” starts setting off bombs in Central City. In order to stop the villain, Barry and Joe meet with the original Trickster, a criminal mastermind named James Jesse, who has been imprisoned for 20 years. Things quickly go from bad to worse when the Tricksters unite and take Henry Allen prisoner. Meanwhile, Iris asks Eddie for help with a case, and flashbacks show how Harrison Wells came up with the idea for the particle accelerator.
15 years ago, Harrison Wells and his girlfriend speed home, talking flirtily with one another. The car hits a speed trap and flies end over end, killing the girlfriend. Wells tries to get a man who leans down to help, but He says the girl has been dead for centuries before introducing himself as Eobard Thawne. He connects a tube between himself and wells, killing Wells and giving Thawne the appearance of Wells. Thawne hides the body and pretends to be Wells when the police arrive.
In the present day
Preparation began January 9, 2015 and ran until January 19, 2015. Shooting began January 20, 2015 and ran until January 30, 2015.
- The situation when Eobard Thawne asked Gideon for help, after getting his powers depleted, bears some some resemblance to a scene from the TV show Smallville, featuring another DC character from the future, Booster Gold, also asking an artificial intelligence (called Skeets) for help.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Matt Letscher as Eobard Thawne/Reverse-Flash. He will later portray the character in a main role on season two of DC's Legends of Tomorrow.
- James Jesse references some famous films and TV shows.
- While describing his latest trick to a work of art, he compares it to "Breaking Bad Season 5".
- The scene where James Jesse told Axel "I am your father." is taken from Mark Hamill's most famous role as Luke Skywalker. In which, Darth Vader revealed he is Luke's father in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
- When the Flash has a bomb placed on his wrist, James Jesse compares his predicament to the film Speed.
- Axel placing a bomb on Flash's wrist and saying it will explode if he stops running is similar to the 2012 animated film Justice League: Doom where Mirror Master did the same thing under the same threat. Similar to how Barry gets rid of it in the episode by vibrating through a truck, in the film he gets rid of the explosive by vibrating through an iceberg.
- ↑ Flash Episode 17 “Tricksters” Description – Mark Hamill Guest Stars! - FlashTVNews
- ↑ Andrew Kresiberg (@AJKreisberg) - Twitter
|The Flash season 1|
|"Pilot" • "Fastest Man Alive" • "Things You Can't Outrun" • "Going Rogue" • "Plastique" • "The Flash Is Born" • "Power Outage" • "Flash vs. Arrow" • "The Man in the Yellow Suit" • "Revenge of the Rogues" • "The Sound and the Fury" • "Crazy for You" • "The Nuclear Man" • "Fallout" • "Out of Time" • "Rogue Time" • "Tricksters" • "All Star Team Up" • "Who is Harrison Wells?" • "The Trap" • "Grodd Lives" • "Rogue Air" • "Fast Enough"|