Tor is an underling of General Astra.
Powers and abilities
- Kryptonian physiology: Normally, like all Kryptonians, Tor's capabilities are no greater than a normal human of his physical conditioning. However, once charged by the energy of a blue or yellow sun and metabolized into his body, he becomes able to perform various inhuman feats.
- Longevity: As a Kryptonian, Tor's life span is considerably longer than a normal human and likewise ages far slower.
- Solar energy absorption: Tor is able to absorb and metabolize solar energy from a blue or yellow sun to obtain his powers.
- Super strength: Tor is far stronger than a normal human, as well as some aliens, when exposed to a blue or yellow sun.
- Super speed: Tor is able to move at super-sonic speeds, both through flight and on foot.
- Flight: Tor is able to fly by manipulating gravity.
- Invulnerability: Tor is essentially invulnerable to all Earthly weapons, with bullets simply ricocheting whenever they come in to contact with his skin, Tor has nearly impenetrable flesh and bones, allowing him to take far more damage than a normal human.
- Accelerated healing factor: Tor is able to heal and recover far more faster than a normal human. His higher metabolism allows his body to process and burn calories far more faster than any other normal human, allowing him to not gain weight and remain physically healthy with little to no maintaining.
- Super hearing: Tor can hear perfectly across several miles and through structures.
- Super breath: Tor is able to exhale powerful gusts of wind from his mouth, as well as causing the temperature of his breath to drop below subzero cold, therefore allowing him to freeze nearly anything.
- X-ray vision: Tor is able to see through all solid objects; except for lead.
- Heat vision: Tor is able to shoot concentrated heat beams of variable intensity and temperature out of his eyes when exposed to a blue or yellow sun.
- Contaminant immunity: Tor has an immunity to all forms of disease and contaminants on Earth.
- Telepathy immunity: Tor is immune to all forms of telepathy.
- Multilingual: Tor is capable of fluently speaking English and Kryptonese.
- Kryptonite: Like all Kryptonians, even while empowered, Tor is vulnerable to the exposure of Kryptonite, a radioactive mineral from his home planet Krypton. Depending on the nature of the said Kryptonite, it will cause a different adverse affect on him;
- Green Kryptonite: Green Kryptonite not only physically hurts Tor and weakens his physical attributes, leaving him vulnerable to weapons and anything in general that can kill a normal human, but if he is exposed to it for too long, it will kill him.
- Red Kryptonite: If exposed to Red Kryptonite, it gradually destroys Tor's inhibitions and turns him into a corrupt version of himself. Left without morality, compassion, rationality, or any cares whatsoever, Tor will become malevolent and prone to hostility and aggression, making him a danger to everyone around him.
- Silver Kryptonite: If exposed to Silver Kryptonite, it will cause Tor to go in a deep and frightful hallucination where nothing from the outside world can stir him out of it until it leaves his system.
- Lead: Tor can not see through lead, even with his X-ray vision.
- Red sun energy: Like all Kryptonians, exposure to the Red Sun will make Tor the equivalent of a human being on Earth.
- Extreme energy: Extreme amounts of energy, can be enough to kill Tor.
- Solar energy depletion: Using his powers to its maximum for an extended period can significantly drain his solar energy to the point where Tor loses all of his powers and is rendered more human like for at least a day. This renders him as weak as a human, allowing Tor to get injured and killed as easy as killing a human.
Behind the scenes
- In the comics, the character's full name is Tor-An. He first appeared in Action Comics #875 (May, 2009) and was created by Greg Rucka and Eddy Barrows.
- This Kryptonian character is not to be confused with any of the other three unrelated characters in the DC universe, who also use the name "Tor": a robotic adversary of Martian Manhunter with his only appearance being in Detective Comics #243 (1957), a prehistoric-human protagonist of the series with the same title (1975-1976, 2008) and the magician known as "Tor, the Magic Master", Jim Slade.