- For other uses of "The Flash", see The Flash (disambiguation).
Originally, the twentieth episode of Arrow's second season was going to act as a backdoor pilot, and were it popular enough the series would be greenlit. However, after executives from The CW Network saw "The Scientist" and "Three Ghosts", Barry's premiere episodes on Arrow, they made the call to order the series straight to pilot. On May 8, 2014, The Flash was picked up to series. On October 21, 2014, The Flash was green lighted for a full season by the CW, extending from 13 episodes to 23. The Flash was renewed for a second season on January 11, 2015. On March 11, 2016, The CW renewed The Flash for a third season.
Barry Allen was 11 years old when his mother was killed in a bizarre, terrifying incident and his father was falsely convicted of murder. With his life changed forever by the tragedy, Barry was taken in and raised by Detective Joe West, the father of Barry’s best friend, Iris. Now, Barry has become a brilliant, driven, and endearing CSI assistant, whose determination to uncover the truth about his mother’s strange death leads him to follow up on every unexplained urban legend and scientific advancement that comes along. Barry's latest obsession is a cutting edge particle accelerator, created by visionary physicist Harrison Wells and his S.T.A.R. Labs team, who claim that this invention will bring about unimaginable advancements in power and medicine. However, something goes horribly wrong during the public unveiling, and when the devastating explosion causes a freak storm, many lives are lost and Barry is struck by lightning. After nine months in a coma, Barry awakens to find his life has changed once again - the accident has given him the power of super speed, granting him the ability to move through Central City like an unseen guardian angel. Though initially excited by his newfound powers, Barry is shocked to discover he is not the only meta-human" who was created in the wake of the accelerator explosion - and not everyone is using their new powers for good. In the months since the accident, the city has seen a sharp increase in missing people, unexplained deaths and other strange phenomena. Barry now has a renewed purpose - using his gift of speed to protect the innocent, while never giving up on his quest to solve his mother’s murder and clear his father’s name. For now, only a few close friends and associates know that Barry is literally the fastest man alive, but it won’t be long before the world learns what Barry Allen has become The Flash.
At the beginning of each episode, a voice of Barry Allen describes briefly the hardships that he faced in the past. Barry states that he will use his new powers to fight crime and find the one who killed his mother to bring justice for his father in season one. In season two, Barry states how he must now use his powers to stop the new threats that he accidentally brought into the world after finding his mother's murderer.
- "My name is Barry Allen, and I am the fastest man alive. When I was a child I saw my mother killed by something impossible, my father went to prison for her murder, then an accident made me the impossible. To the outside world I'm an ordinary forensic scientist, but secretly I use my speed to fight crime and find others like me, and one day, I'll find who killed my mother and get justice for my father. I am the Flash!"
"Fast Enough" variant
- "My name is Barry Allen, and I am the fastest man alive. When I was a child I saw my mother killed by something impossible, my father went to prison for her murder, then an accident made me the impossible. To the outside world I am an ordinary forensic scientist, but secretly I use my speed to fight crime and find others like me, and one day, I'll find who killed my mother and get justice for my father. That day is today."
- "My name is Barry Allen and I am the fastest man alive. To the outside world I am an ordinary forensic scientist, but secretly with the help of my friends at S.T.A.R. Labs, I fight crime and find other meta-humans like me. I hunted down the man who killed my mother but in doing so I opened up our world to new threats and I am the only one fast enough to stop them. I am the Flash!"
"The Man Who Saved Central City" variant
- "My name is Barry Allen and I am the fastest man alive. When I was a child I saw my mother killed by something impossible, my father went to prison for her murder, then an accident made me the impossible, and I became The Flash. I used my powers to find the man responsible for my mother's death. I thought I would finally get justice for my family, but I failed. It's been six months since the singularity, I'm on my own now. Decided it's better that way, it keeps the people I care about safe. There's only one thing I can do now. I run."
- Grant Gustin as Barry Allen/The Flash (season 1–present) and Barry Allen (Earth Two) (season 2)
- Candice Patton as Iris West (season 1–present) and Iris West (Earth Two) (season 2)
- Danielle Panabaker as Caitlin Snow (season 1–present) and Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost (season 2)
- Rick Cosnett as Eddie Thawne (season 1; special guest season 2)
- Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon/Vibe (season 1–present) and Cisco Ramon/Reverb (season 2)
- Tom Cavanagh as Eobard Thawne/Reverse-Flash (season 1), Harrison Wells (Earth One) (season 1) and Harrison Wells (Earth Two) (season 2)
- Jesse L. Martin as Joe West (season 1–present) and Joe West (Earth Two) (season 2)
- Keiynan Lonsdale as Wally West (season 2)
- Grant says that the image Barry saw of himself in jail in the Speed Force was not from an alternate timeline, and that the writers might heavily draw from "The Trial of The Flash" comic, where Barry is incarcerated for manslaughter when he accidentally kills one of his enemies, but will probably get its own season.
- ↑ Laura Prudom (@LauInLA) - Twitter
- ↑ UPDATE: CW Eyes ‘Flash’ Series With ‘Arrow’s Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg & David Nutter - Deadline
- ↑ The Flash To Get His Own Pilot Episode, Separate From Arrow - FlashTVNews
- ↑ It’s Official: The Flash Is Picked Up To Series! - FlashTVNews
- ↑ The Flash Gets A Full Season Order! - FlashTVNews
- ↑ The CW Renews Arrow, Supernatural, The 100, Reign, Jane and 3 Others - TVLine
- ↑ The CW Renews The Flash, Vampire Diaries, The 100, Reign (!) and 7 Others - TVLine
- ↑ An Official Description For The CW’s Flash Series! - FlashTVNews
- ↑ ‘The Flash’ Season 2 Spoilers: Barry In Jail? Caitlin Snow Starts Killer Frost Transformation - Fashion & Style
- ↑ The Flash Season 2 Spoilers: Grant Gustin teases what’s next as Carlos Valdes talks Cisco - Unreality TV