Solovar is a telepathic albino gorilla from Earth Two and the leader of Gorilla City, a position he briefly lost after being defeated by the Flash and Grodd took over. However, he ultimately reclaimed his title as the gorillas' leader after defeating Grodd in a fight.
After the Flash, Vibe, Caitlin Snow and Julian Albert walked into the outskirts of Gorilla City, they were captured and placed in cells. Solovar came to see them, hitting Grodd for having not told him of their capture. Brokering a deal with Solovar, Barry offered to fight Solovar one-on-one, so long as he let all of them go if Barry won. Agreeing to this, they fought in the city's arena. Solovar got a number of strikes in, even striking the ground to shake it, but Barry ultimately won, knocking Solovar down with a single hit to the stomach with his vibrating hand. However, Barry spared his life, showing him mercy. Solovar was succeeded as ruler by Grodd.
Sometime later, Solovar was recruited by Vibe and Gypsy to stop Grodd and the other gorillas from destroying Central City. He came with them to Earth One through a breach, where he challenged Grodd for a fight to the death. They fought on a building, but at the end, Grodd fell from the building and Solovar won. Because of that, he became the leader of Gorilla City once again. Solovar was about to kill Grodd with his spear, but Barry convinced him not to. Solovar agreed, before asking Barry to take him and the other gorillas back to Earth Two. Barry agreed, and Solovar, along with the other gorillas, returned to their universe.
Overall, Solovar is a gruff and antisocial individual, at least to humans. Despite this, he appears to care for the overall prosperity of Gorilla City. He is being of conviction and duty, adhering sternly to the rules and regulations of his kingdom. While having an outspoken distain to humans, he has no actual desire to fight them, content with keeping his city isolated from humans. At the same time, he is not without reason. While desiring to kill Grodd after defeating him as punishment for his treachery, Solovar accepted Barry Allen's request to simply have Grodd imprisoned in A.R.G.U.S. and peacefully return with his subjects back to Earth-Two.
Powers and abilities
- Super strength: Solovar has tremendous strength, able to launch Grodd with a single backhanded slap. In his fight against Barry Allen, he was also shown to create a crater impact, spewing dust around the arena ring and knocking Barry from running in a circle. Able to effectively combine his strength with melee and barehanded combat, Solovar was able to subdue Grodd with few strikes.
- Telepathy: Solovar can telepathically communicate with other humans in English. Like Grodd, he is able to overshadow another person's mind to speak through them.
- High-level intellect/Leader: As noted by Jesse Wells, all gorillas of the evolved-ape domain are super intelligent, including Solovar. As the unquestioned leader of Gorilla City, it stands to reason that Solovar is a very capable leader, able to keep his followers organized and in line.
- Multilingual: It can be assumed that Solovar can speak in both English and animal languages.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant: While overall crude in appearance do to his bulky stature, Solovar is a highly effective fighter. Showing noticeable reflexes, he was able to counter Barry's speed punch by knocking him in the air. His overall might is the main reason why Gorilla City acknowledges him as it's leader. To which, the vengeful Grodd admitted he couldn't defeat Solovar himself, instead needing Barry to do it. This was later proven to be true when Solovar subdued Grodd within minutes, reclaiming his full command of Gorilla City.
- "Luck Be a Lady" (indirectly mentioned)
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Solovar is the benevolent king of Gorilla City. He is an ally of the Flash and company, as well as the archenemy of Grodd. After being assassinated by gorillas manipulated by Grodd, his son Nnamdi succeeded him.