|Family||Yao Fei (father; deceased)|
Shado (小冬) is a former prisoner of Edward Fyers on Lian Yu and a Chinese lawyer. She is the daughter of the late Yao Fei and is also one of the former mentors and friends of Oliver Queen. She has a tattoo of a dragon on the top left of her back, sharing this with Oliver. She was used as leverage by Edward towards Yao Fei in order to make him join his cause until Oliver and Slade Wilson rescued her. She is the one who taught Oliver archery and Mandarin Chinese.
Shado is the daughter of the former general of People's Liberation Army of China, Yao Fei. During her childhood, her father taught her how to fight and defend herself. Shado told Slade that the reason her father taught her was because he had wanted a son, which led to Slade retorting "He got one." As she reached adulthood, she became a lawyer while retaining her skills in martial arts that she had trained in during childhood, honing them further.
After her father went missing, Shado spent many years looking for him until some men came to her house claiming that they had information about her father's whereabouts. She was caught off-guard as the men were actually employed by Edward Fyers' employer and was brought to the island where her father was located, being used as Edward's prisoner and leverage against her father.
Shado made her first appearance at the end of the "The Odyssey", being kept alive by Edward as leverage against Yao Fei. Fyers awarded Yao Fei for remaining loyal and let him see her for 5 minutes.
In "Salvation", she was used again by Edward to threaten Oliver and Slade into giving him the guidance chips. The meeting broke into a fire fight, and Shado managed to free herself, taking down several of her captors and quickly dispatching Edward. As they made their escape, Yao Fei was shot in the leg. He then volunteered to stay behind and cover their escape. She joined Oliver and Slade's group.
In "Unfinished Business", she started training Oliver to use her father's bow by making him hit the water inside the bowl with his palms repeatedly.
In "Home Invasion", Shado began to train Oliver in archery. Oliver made numerous attempts in shooting his target but each attempt ended in failure. In the course of their training together, she and Oliver shared a kiss. They stopped each other from going farther, with Oliver reasoning that there is someone (Laurel Lance) waiting for him back home. Back at their base, Yao Fei revealed himself after having been presumed to be captured by Edward again. However, several of Edward's men burst in afterwards with Yao Fei claiming that he led them to their base. Oliver, Slade and Shado were recaptured.
In "Darkness on the Edge of Town", Shado, Oliver, and Slade were brought before Edward. After Yao Fei started to disobey Edward's commands, he proceeded to shoot Slade in the leg, punch Oliver on the face, and shoot Shado in the shoulder to force Yao Fei to follow his orders. After recording the footage of Yao Fei taking the blame for being the man who led the Ferris Air bombing, Edward shot Yao Fei in the head, killing him and leaving Shado in despair.
In "Sacrifice," Oliver managed to free himself using the knife given to him by Yao Fei and attacked Edward, proceeding to free Slade and Shado. After taking down several soldiers, Shado and Oliver made their way towards the missile launcher in order to stop it from hitting the plane. Shado managed to find the control panel only to be distracted by a soldier. Both leaped out of the missile launcher, leaving Oliver to dismantle the missile's guidance device. He was successful in diverting the missile, but it landed on Edward's base of operations and destroyed it. In the aftermath of the destruction, she was recaptured by a supposedly deceased Edward who used her as a bargaining chip for Oliver's freedom. With his bow notched with an arrow pointing directly at Edward, Shado gave him an assuring nod and Oliver fired, hitting Edward in the neck and killing him for good.
In "City of Heroes", she wears the hood her father wore as a way to honor him. Five months after Fyers's death, she and Oliver are shown to be in an intimate releationship. They split up when going to look for intruders that their proximity device did not detect, where Shado was quickly taken captive. She was later rescued by Oliver and Slade, but not before seeing Oliver pummel the leader of the group with a rock. After the event, the three realized that they are no longer alone on the island.
In "Identity," Slade convinced her that she needs to talk to Oliver, after he appeared to be suffering serverely from the guilt of killing the mercenary. She talked to him alone, trying to comfort him and refering to some eastern philosophy to help him overcome his guilt. They kissed passionately and promptly made love by the river. Slade spotted them in the river, calling them back to continue following the track. The three of them used the map and images, leading them to find a small cave with the corpses of Japanese soldiers from WWII.
In "Broken Dolls", Shado investigated the corpses while Slade and Oliver got to higher ground for a vantage point. When Oliver and Slade finally got a view, they saw a ship firing towards their shelter and rushed back to save Shado. While the two were running towards the plane, they see that it was still under-fire and in flames. The explosions eventually knocked them unconcious. In "League of Assassins," Shado was mentioned by Sarah Lance, allowing for the assumption that she had somehow survived.
In "Keep Your Enemies Closer", Shado and Slade were alive in the remains of the base where Shado was tending to the facial burns that Slade had endured due to the bombing. She is happy to hear Oliver's voice again after having a heart-to-heart conversation with Slade, holding onto him to help cool him down due to the fever he was fight.
In "State v. Queen", Shado and Slade were under attack by Anthony Ivo and the crew of the Amazo after they held Oliver at gunpoint, with him yelling for them to run. She then disarmed the bomb they had tossed into the plane. When they were about to execute Oliver after he had refused to them where they fled, Shado and Slade got the jump on them and told them to release Oliver or they would kill them. Ivo agreed but Oliver punched The Captain in the face, grabbing his friend Sarah Lance and running away with his friends. Though the crew were in pursuit, Shado had armed the bomb and let it detonate on them. Once they had reached cover, Shado revealed that she had the hōzen due to the Buddist inscription on the one side which reminded her of her father, discovering the other set of coordinates to a World War II Japanese submarine that housed something capable of saving the human race. Oliver asked if the cure could save Slade who was feeling the pain of his injuries.
In "The Scientist", Shado is heart broken when she discovered Oliver really was before the island as he was on the Gambit with Sara and had Laurel back in Starling City waiting for him when she questioned who Sara was to him. They arrived on the submarine and went with Oliver and Sara to find The Miracle that could help Slade who was dying quickly. Right before they injected him, Slade revealed that he had developed feelings for her which caused Oliver to feel heartbroken as he had realized earlier they had gotten closer while he was being held captive. He was soon injected by Oliver and Slade screamed out in pain, blood coming out of his eyes and his pulse was gone, she was soon held by Oliver as she cried for their friend but their mourning was cut short as the crew of the Amazo and Ivo had burst through the door and captured them at gunpoint.
In "Three Ghosts",
Shado is shown to be kind and mature for her age, often giving Oliver wisdom and guidance during his training with her. She does not refrain herself from hurting or killing anyone if the need arises, such as when she was rescued by Oliver and Slade; she quickly took down several of her captors, including Edward, and killed the soldier that was attacking Oliver by snapping his neck.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: Shado has proven to be a very skilled combatant. During her first escape, she took out several soldiers and easily disarmed and knocked out Edward. During her sparring session with Slade, she stated that Yao Fei taught her how to fight. Judging from that sparring session, she seems to be evenly matched with him. She mirrored her father's fighting style, which appears to consist of Wing Chun, Jujitsu an Muay Thai.
- Master archer: Shado is a skilled archer, having been trained by her father. She starts training Oliver after he finds her, continuing to train him after her father's death. She was skilled enough to take out the thin branches of a tree without taking time to aim. Her skill may not be with the same caliber of Oliver's current abilities or her father.
- Exceptional durability: In "Darkness on the Edge of Town," she was shot by Edward in the shoulder, coercing Yao Fei to follow his orders. In "Sacrifice," after being freed by Oliver, she proceeded to take down several of Edward's henchmen as if she hadn't been injured.
- "The Odyssey"
- "Unfinished Business"
- "Home Invasion"
- "Darkness on the Edge of Town"
- "City of Heroes"
- "Broken Dolls"
- "League of Assassins" (mentioned)
- "Keep Your Enemies Closer"
- "State v. Queen"
- "The Scientist"
- "Three Ghosts" (as a ghost and on the island)
- Both she and Laurel Lance have been directly influenced by their fathers to learn how to defend themselves.
- In the comics, Shado is Japanese and is the daughter of a Yakuza agent sent to America prior to World War II with a large cache of gold that was needed to to establish Yakuza operations in America.
- She shares jumping takedown and neck breaking techniques with Oliver, implying that her teachings might have heavily inspired Oliver in his way of combat.
- Shado had an intimate relationship with Oliver while on the island.
- Shado was Oliver Queen's third mentor.
- In contrast to Slade's more pragmatic style of training, she appears to have a more philosophical approach towards training.
- On the Island, she is seen practicing advanced forms of yoga.
- Coincidentally, Celina Jade, the actress who portrays Shado, is also a martial artist and the daughter of a former American Kung Fu star, Roy Horan.
- Sarah Lance appears to know of Shado based on knowledge about Shado wearing Oliver's Arrow hood while they were on Lian Yu.
- She mentioned in "Broken Dolls" that she was pre-med before being abducted and coming to the island.
- Shado will be appearing in Starling City as a ghost alongside Slade and in Three Ghosts.