Cult member (in secret)
|Family||Maya Resik (mother; deceased)|
Sebastian Sangre (father; deceased)
Sebastian Blood, also known as Brother Blood, is an alderman and undercover cult member who rose to power following The Undertaking. He supposedly blames the Queen family for the destruction of the east sector of the Glades. However it is revealed in "Crucible" that he heads an evil cult hell-bent on taking over Starling City. In "Three Ghosts" it is revealed that Sebastian's superior is Slade Wilson. He is one of the two main antagonists of Season 2.
Sebastian was raised by his mother and an abusive father. One day, his father came home drunk and had attacked his wife and child. Sebastian had taken his father's gun and killed him. When the police arrived, he blamed his mother for the murder, having her committed to an asylum and leaving himself as an orphan. Growing up in an orphanage, Sebastian encountered a preacher named Cyrus Gold who promptly became like a father-figure to him.
In "Crucible", Sebastian helps Oliver to set up a "guns for money" fundraiser for people affected by both the earthquake, and gun violence in The Glades, to reduce the increased gang activity (due to "The Mayor" rising to power as a gang leader), but is shot at, along with the crowd during the event by "The Mayor"s' men.
After The Mayor is arrested, a corrupt police officer takes him to Sebastian, who wears a mask and administers the unwilling Mayor with a serum he calls "The Miracle". The precise effects of The Miracle are unknown, as are Sebastian's true intentions, but the serum caused The Mayor's eyes to bleed before possibly killing him. After injecting The Mayor, he instructs the officer to find him "another". The officer addresses him as "Brother Blood".
In "State v. Queen", it is revealed that he provided Count Vertigo with a means to redistribute his product, as he knew that it would flush out The Arrow so that Count Vertigo would kill him. Upon finding that The Arrow killed Count Vertigo rather than the other way round, he is initially angry, until he is informed that the first test subject has survived (or possibly awakened from) his exposure to the Miracle.
In "The Scientist", Sebastian was getting regular reports from Daily about movements conducted by three people looking into one of his test subjects, Maxwell Stanton's death. Sebastian gave Cyrus Gold locations of where to strike; Queen Consolidated's applied sciences division and a blood bank which were necessary for making more Miracle.
In "Three Ghosts", Sebastian learns from Daily that the police are planning to go after Cyrus Gold and sends Cyrus to confront them. Meanwhile, in his civilian guise, he romances Laurel Lance, taking her Christmas shopping, and announces his campaign for mayor of Starling.
Sebastian has his subordinate inject a captured Roy Harper with The Miracle. When The Arrow appears, Sebastian orders Cyrus to kill him; Cyrus is defeated and Sebastian flees. He meets with Slade Wilson, who is revealed to be Sebastian's employer and the true mastermind behind the Blood Cult.
In "Blast Radius", Laurel comes to his office, questioning him about his past. Sebastian reveals that his father came back home drunk and his mother killed him, promptly abandoning Sebastian as the police were coming. Cyrus became a father-figure to Sebastian when he became orphaned. As Laurel continues to investigate Sebastian, she visits his aunt, Maya Resik, who is locked up in an insane asylum that Sebastian is paying to be cared for. As Laurel asks her about her nephew, Maya reveals that she is actually Sebastian's mother. She says he killed his father and blamed her. She then begins to refer to him as the devil.
In "Blind Spot", he visits his mother Maya in the psychiatric institution, and kills her after discovering she told Laurel Lance the truth about his father's murder. After Laurel and the Arrow try to steal the police file on Sebastian's father's death, Slade threatens him and tells him to deal with Laurel, whose investigation is becoming a problem for them. He then sends Officer Daily to search and ransack Laurel's apartment and arrest her for possession of drugs. Afterwards, he has Daily kidnap Laurel and pose as the "Masked Man" in order to draw out the Arrow and remove suspicion. After Daily is killed, Sebastian is scolded for causing the death of four followers with his sloppiness by Slade. He is also warned that if he slips up one more time, he will the fifth casualty.
In "Heir to the Demon", Sebastian is contacted by Oliver and was told he was withdrawing his support for him and is now supporting his mother Moira Queen. He is okay with it stating that blood of family is more important and tells Oliver it will not jeopardize their friendship. Immediately after he meets with Moira in Queen Consolidated and demands she withdraw from her campaign, and Moira challenges him not to underestimate her after Blood asking which side of Moira will people would see, the strong leader, or the one manipulated by Malcolm Merlyn.
Afterwards he meets with Slade and is informed Slade will be handling Moira Queen personally.
As an alderman, Sebastian has shown himself to be charismatic, thus able to win crowds and win support to the point where Starling City wants him to become mayor.
As a cult "leader," he kidnaps victims and injects them with Mirakuru, and if they survive, forces them to work for him. He is also evil and ruthless.
As an agent of Slade Wilson, Sebastian is shown as cowardly and weak by comparison. His superior is constantly criticising and threatening him for this behavior, as well as his failures against The Arrow. Yet despite acting as an underling of Deathstroke, Sebastian is very willful and could very well have his own agenda concerning the Mirakuru experimentations. In "Three Ghosts", he claims that he intends to use the Mirakuru for the betterment of Starling City. Interestingly, his anger was aroused at the death of Brother Daily, to the extent that he took four bodyguards with him to personally confront Slade (who subsequently killed the bodyguards and threatened Sebastian's life should he fail again). Although this might indicate that Sebastian possesses a level of attachment for his devoted cultists, it should be remembered that he gave orders to Daily to impersonate "the man in the skull mask", knowing well that it would result in Daily's death. Consequently, it is very possible that Sebastian considers his crusade as Brother Blood to be not only justified, but righteous as well.
- Popularity: On Sebastian's alderman side, he is popular, as Starling City wants him to become mayor. He has shown to be capable of winning positive attention.
- Commanding: As a secret cult member, Sebastian is more evil and ruthless, as he captures criminals and injects them with The Miracle. If they survive initial injection, he forces them to work for him. This could be a vigilante type thing, as he believes he is saving the city with Miracle.
- Brother Blood Mask: Sebastian wears a skull mask as his villain alter-ego Brother Blood, to hide his identity from his victims.
- Voice Filter: Sebastian uses this device to change his voice regardless of who he spoke to as Brother Blood.
- "State v. Queen"
- "The Scientist"
- "Three Ghosts"
- "Blast Radius"
- "Blind Spot"
- "Tremors" (mentioned)
- "Heir to the Demon"
- In the comics, Brother Blood is the leader of the "Church of Blood", a cult that worships the demon warlord Trigon. He is a recurring enemy of Trigon's daughter Raven, and her friends, the teen hero group The Teen Titans.
- There have been multiple men who have carried the name "Brother Blood". However, Arrow's version of the character carries the name of the last Brother Blood prior to the New 52, named Sebastian.
- Sebastian is revealed to be allies with Slade Wilson who gives him blood samples to make Mirakuru.
- It has been implied that since how much his campaign involves blood, Sebastian's surname is an alias. He does not share his surname with his mother, Maya Resik, or his father, Sebastian Sangre, giving credibility to this idea. However, it may also be an English translation of his father's surname.
- In "Blind Spot", it was revealed that Sebastian was ordered to get closer to Laurel Lance as part of Slade's plan to avenge himself on Oliver Queen.
- Sebastian is responsible for the deaths of both his parents. He shot and killed his father when he was a child, and he was repsonsible for his mother's heart attack.