- "Guess I should be flattered. To think you've held out a candle for me after all these years. What are you waiting for?"
- —Sean to Dinah Drake[src]
Sean Sonus (died January 2017) was a drug dealer who murdered Central City Police Department officer Vincent Sobel, boyfriend and partner of Dinah Drake. Following the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator he became a meta-human, and he used his powers to further his criminal enterprise. Sean was hunted across the country by Dinah until she finally caught up with him in Hub City.
At the night of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion, Sean and his accomplices were torturing Dinah Drake, threatening to hurt her and kill her boyfriend Vincent, holding her for two weeks. As the dark matter wave erupted throughout Central City, Sean ended up shooting Vincent, to Dinah's horrible screaming. Dinah's scream influenced a mutation of her own, as well as that of Sean, giving them both sonic-related powers.
In January of 2017, Dinah tracked Sean's criminal contacts, eventually targeting him. She arrived at the premises, defeating Sonus's bodyguards, followed by Team Arrow. As Dinah prepared to attack her enemy, Sean used a meta-human power of his own, rendering her sonic scream a liability. As the other vigilantes came at him, Sean used his power to stop them at their tracks and escape. Team Arrow and Dinah eventually targeted him once again at a gathering of his gang and managed to take them on. After destroying a helicopter, Oliver tried to argue with Dinah to let Sean live, to no avail.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Sean was struck by the energy of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion, his DNA and cells were altered to augment his sonic-related abilities.
- Skilled marksman/Firearms: As a gangster, Sean was proficient with firearms.
- Indomitable will/High pain tolerance: Despite his meta-human powers being sonic-based, Sean seemed to have some inherent high pain tolerance, which allowed him to take out Oliver Queen's arrow out of his shoulder with ease and, seemingly, little to no negative effects for his health.
- Sonic dampener: Just like Black Siren and Dinah Drake, Sean Sonus was affected by Curtis Holt's sonic dampener, causing him to temporarily lose his powers.
Behind the scenes
- In DC Comics, Sean Sonus was an enemy of Green Arrow and the Black Canary known as Discord. Humorously, in Arrow Sean was nicknamed "Dirtbag" by Wild Dog, a word starting with the same letter and having the same number of letters.
- His vertigo based powers are very similar to that of Count Vertigo.
- This is the second meta-human introduced in the shared multiverse to have vertigo-related powers, after Rosa Dillon, and the fifth character overall to be related to the vertigo effect m.o. (after Count Vertigo, Webb and Werner Zytle).