- "Hold my hand. You feel that?"
"It's you. You are my heart."
- —Samantha Arias to Ruby Arias[src]
Samantha "Sam" Arias (born 1979) is a former Kryptonian Worldkiller known as Reign, who was sent to Earth prior to Krypton's destruction and found by Patricia Arias, who raised her as her daughter. As an adult, she briefly became the acting CEO of L-Corp before transitioning to a position as the CFO, though she still partly holds the former position on the behalf of her employer, Lena Luthor. Samantha is the single mother of Ruby Arias and a good friend of Lena, Alex Danvers and Kara Danvers. Samantha remained unaware of her origins until her powers started to manifest, leading to the emergence of one of the strongest adversaries Supergirl has ever had to face.
After defeating Reign, Samantha and Ruby have moved to Metropolis, where Samantha is the CEO of the city's L-Corp division.
According to a Kryptonian hologram, she is the culmination of centuries of Kryptonian research. The same hologram appeared as an apparition and stated that she was born from Rao's fire. On the day of Krypton's destruction in 1979, a group of hooded figures placed her, as a baby, in a Kryptonian escape pod and sent her to Earth, saying that she would grow strong there and that she would then reign. According to Thomas Coville, the Worldkiller Reign's legend/prophecy existed long before the book of Rao. She was sent along with two others, who would awaken and join her once she was ready.
When she was 16, Samantha became pregnant and was subsequently kicked out of the house by her adoptive mother. Her pregnancy also delayed her manifestation into the Worldkiller, "Reign". Upon the birth of her daughter, Ruby, Samantha was awed by the new life she brought from within herself and into the world. She vowed to always be there for her newborn child, no matter the odds. Experiencing ups and downs after having Ruby and raising her without a father, Samantha nevertheless pulled through by herself as a single mother from one job and city to the next to ensure that she and and her daughter would have a future together.
Samantha would later be acquainted with Lena Luthor when LutherCorp acquired the company the former worked for as a Junior VP. Lena found Samantha working hard at 3:00 am, practically alone, and was impressed at once with her unshakeable resolve and dedication to her occupation. This lead to an exclusively professional, but friendly working relationship between the two of them and Samantha subsequently ascended positions at L-Corp. Samantha and Lena wouldn't regard each other as legitimate friends until much later on when Samantha was introduced to Kara Danvers.
The unveiling and working at L-Corp
Samantha attended the Supergirl statue unveiling by Lena Luthor at the waterfront with her daughter, Ruby. She encountered Alex Danvers when Ruby ran into her and Samantha made Ruby apologize for it. She and Alex then briefly discussed the former's daughter. During the attack on the waterfront, Samantha and Ruby were separated in the confusion and a metal bar fell, pinning Ruby to the ground. Samantha, frantic and desperate to save her daughter, lifted the enormous, heavy beam, much to her shock. That night, Samantha experienced a nightmare of Alura Zor-El turning into a hideous monster.
A week later, Samantha drove Ruby to school and while they waited in the car, Sam reminded her daughter that Mrs. Queller would pick her up; she had meetings all afternoon, as it was her first day at her new job. Ruby then questioned her about what happened at the waterfront and Samantha explained that it was nothing more than an adrenaline rush caused by seeing her daughter in danger, which happened to a lot of mothers. Ruby didn't seem to believe her but Samantha insisted her daughter would understand when she has kids of her own.
Later that day, moments before entering a meeting, Samantha was called by the principal of Ruby's school and was informed that Ruby had been in a fight with another girl, Stephanie Harrison. When the principal asked about her home situation and Ruby's father, Samantha pointedly stated that Ruby's father isn't in the picture. At home over lunch, Samantha asked her daughter what happened. Ruby revealed that she punched Stephanie because the latter called her a liar for claiming that her mother had superpowers. Samantha, in disbelief, protested that she didn't have powers. Ruby refused to accept that her mother was able to lift a heavy metal tower due to adrenaline, which caused Samantha to yell and Ruby to run off. That evening, Samantha was seen talking to her boss over the phone about business and thanking that person for their patience. She received delivery pizza and went to Ruby's room to get her for dinner, but found her daughter gone.
Concerned, Samantha messaged Ruby, asking where she was. Eventually, Ruby told her mom her location. Samantha drove there and found Ruby in the midst of an attack by Psi, and moments before they were crushed by a wrecking ball, Supergirl saved them. As they recovered in an ambulance, they met and talked with Alex again, who left soon afterwards so she could be at the side of her fiancée. After Samantha gently scolded Ruby for her reckless actions, her daughter inquired if she thinks that Supergirl has a job as a normal person outside of heroism. Samantha realized that Ruby wanted her to have superpowers so that she wouldn't have to work, and could just save people and spend time with her. Samantha assured her daughter that she would always spend time with her, no matter what.
Later, Samantha arrived at CatCo to meet up with Lena, thanking the latter for understanding her domestic plight. She also met Kara Danvers, unknowingly (and very ironically) meeting Supergirl herself in her civilian persona at that very workplace where the two of them shared the same boss, Lena herself. Lena reveals that she hired Samantha to be the acting CEO of L-Corp while she adjusted to her new business in editorial. Before Lena, the two Kryptonians (each completely ignorant of the other’s true alien nature) shook hands in welcoming gesture, completely unaware that this friendship forged between the three of them at that point would be one fraught with many extraordinary and unexpected challenges worth remembering, from within as well as beyond.
At home, Samantha watched Ruby sleep, safe and sound, before unwinding from the eventful day with some wine and late night reading. When one of the lamps went out, Samantha searched for a light bulb at her house’s garage and found a crowbar. Remembering what her daughter said, she tried to bend it but was unsuccessful. Dismissing the thought, she grabbed a bulb and returned to the house.Samantha attended one of Ruby's soccer games and proudly cheered her daughter on from the sidelines. She took a call during the game regarding a merger that would be carried out between L-Corp and JQB. As she was talking, Ruby scored a goal and asked her mom if she saw it, and Sam covered by shouting that she did and that Ruby did a great job. A woman walked up to her and asked which child was Sam's. Sam pointed her daughter out, briefly joking that Ruby didn't receive her coordination from her. Sam asked the woman which child was hers, but the woman suddenly preached that Ruby and Sam were special and chosen before handing Sam a pamphlet for a meeting. Confused, Sam asked for the lady's name, and the woman stated that she was a follower and asked her to come to the community. Sam forced a smile and thanked the woman.
Lena and Kara arrived at L-Corp moments before Samantha walked in, explaining her late arrival due to attending Ruby's soccer game and taking her team for victory ice cream afterwards. She then told Lena that the JQB merger should be finalized any minute and handed her the papers to sign. Lena and Kara invited Sam to girls night at Kara's home to celebrate her first merger. She initially declined but after being pressed a little more by both Lena and Kara, she agreed to attend. Kara found the flyer the woman from Ruby's soccer game gave Sam and asked her about it. Sam told Kara what happened and agreed to let her take it.That night at girls' night with Lena, Kara, Alex and Maggie Sawyer, Samantha drank some wine as she listened to Lena recount how her date rejected her when he found out she wasn't Catholic. Sam then asked Kara about her relationship status, and was saddened to hear that Kara's boyfriend had "moved away". Alex asked if Ruby's father was still in the picture, and Sam quickly stated that it was just her and Ruby. Alex was impressed with Sam's ability to raise a daughter on her own and Sam stated that it wasn't easy, which Alex and Maggie would see when they have kids. Alex informed her that they weren't going to have children and were just going to be the cool aunts. Kara and Lena also volunteered to be cool aunts for Ruby, which made Sam really happy.
The next day at L-Corp, Ruby asked her mom to help her practice her school recital song. Samantha asked about Ruby's French extra credit project and was surprised to learn that her daughter finished it as well and apologized for being so busy. A man entered the office and informed Sam of a problem with the merger and she started to deal with it, much to her daughter's disappointment.Later that night, Samantha entered her office to find Ruby asleep on the couch, and placed her own jacket over her daughter as a blanket. Lena entered and Samantha confirmed the merger was finalized, and Lena congratulated her on it. Sam smiled lightly before she broke down in tears, apologizing for being unprofessional. She confided to Lena about messing up with Ruby, being too busy with work to help her daughter practice her song and feels like the worst mother. Lena told her that she actually had the worst mother and assured Sam she's doing just fine by a mile from Lillian. Lena pointed out that Ruby fell asleep watching her mom work hard, knowing that it was only Sam who could be relied upon to meet L-Corp's corporate expectations (which will serve the company and its employees well in the long run), and that is how you raise a girl to be a badass — by letting her understand the world at her own pace while always being there to make sure that she makes the right choices in terms of decisions and perspective. Sam smiled in appreciation.
At Ruby's recital that night, Samantha was pleasantly surprised to see that Lena, Kara, and Alex came to support her daughter. Sam proudly watched as her daughter beautifully sang her song and took pictures as she performed.At the end of that night, Samantha ran a bath and took some medicine. When she looked in the mirror, she was horrified to see herself covered in strange symbols. She heard whispering and turned around to see a sinister, cloaked woman standing behind her. The woman stated that Sam was born from Rao's fire and would soon reign as Sam cowered on the bathroom floor in fear. Ruby entered the bathroom and worriedly asked her mother what was wrong. Sam saw that the woman and symbols were gone.
A few days later, Samantha dropped her daughter off at school, and Ruby was worried about what happened in the bathroom that night. Sam insisted that it was just a bad dream but Ruby retorted that she was awake. Sam told her that it was a migraine and that it was time for school. After Ruby got out, Sam was preparing to pull away when Ruby's friend Luke collapsed on the ground and started seizing. Ruby shouted to her mother, who quickly ran over to help while calling 911. At the Luthor Family Children Hospital, Samantha was seen hugging Luke's mother and looked worried. Moments later, Lena and Kara arrived and asked why she was there. Sam told them what had happened, and that the boy was diagnosed with lead poisoning. She also remarks that Morgan Edge's stunt to pin this on Lena was awful and watched from a distance as Lena and Kara confronted Morgan Edge.
Samantha then joined Lena and Kara at CatCo to discuss the issue and whether or not Lena's lead bomb could have been responsible for the children getting sick. Sam refused to believe Lena was guilty but the latter wasn't so sure. James Olsen joined the room and recommended that Lena step down from CatCo, which Lena agreed to, and went further to say that she was stepping down from L-Corp as well. Sam disagreed but Lena stated it was the best decision for the company. At a press conference, Samantha stood off to the side and showed her support for Lena. A shooter open fired at Lena, which caused panic throughout the crowd. Sam jumped out of the way and laid on the ground until the shooter was apprehended by security.
After the conference, Lena stayed at Samantha's house for the time being. Lena expressed that she didn't want to put Sam and Ruby in danger, but Sam assured her that it was fine and that the woman was in custody. Lena pressed that Sam could have been shot and she shouldn't be hiding her, but Sam stated that Lena gave her a break when she needed one the most and that she wanted to return the favor. Ruby walked out with pillows and blankets, making a bed for Lena and packing to spend the night at a friend's house. Lena agreed to stay for one night, much to Sam's satisfaction. Lena wondered if Sam would still be her friend if Ruby was sick. Sam didn't answer.That night, Samantha returned home from work to find Lena passed out on the couch and Kara still there, having arrived there earlier to check up on Lena. She thanked Kara for staying and the two reflected on how the situation is taking a toll on Lena. Offhandedly veering the subject to the restless nights that they have both been having and sensing kinship within one another (oh, they have no idea...), the two women then banded together to try and figure out if there was a pattern with the lead poisoning, but all the affected kids were scattered. Sam decided to follow a lead on finances for the children's parents, pulling them up from on laptop in a matter of minutes, impressing Kara. The two noticed that everyone went to a food truck located at the park for Oktoberfest on the same day, and wondered if the food the children ate made them sick. Samantha and Kara went to the park but all the trucks were gone, so they investigated a building in the park. Suggesting that whatever afflicted the children was something indoors, Sam tried the door but found that it was locked. When she wasn't looking, Kara broke door open and covered it up by saying it was just a sticky hinge. They entered and discovered the building housed public swimming pools and Kara remarked that Eliza, her adoptive mother used to bring her somewhere similar every Tuesday and Thursday. Sam was surprised and stated that she was adopted as well and would go swimming on Mondays and Wednesdays. As they walked past the pool Sam remarked that Ruby, like nearly every kid, loves swimming. Kara took a water sample and and electronically sent it to her friend Winn for analysis. Sam was impressed, believing Winn to just be a friend of Kara's at the FBI. Both were relieved to hear that Lena's wasn't responsible, but were horrified to learn that the pool was contaminated with a chemical that mimicked the symptoms of lead poisoning. They then found several barrels of the said compound being kept in a storage cabinet.
After Lena was saved by Supergirl and her name was cleared, Samantha, Lena and Kara returned to Sam's house for a mini-celebration. Sam confirmed that the antidote L-Corp synthesized for the ill children was working and she and Kara were proud of their teamwork. Lena thanked Sam and Kara for believing in and standing by her throughout this ordeal and the three women embraced.
Later that night after Lena and Kara left, Sam tucked Ruby into bed, assuring her that Luke was going to be fine, and they expressed admiration for the Sam's new friends. Ruby pointed out a hole in her mom's shirt, much to Sam's confusion. She bid her daughter goodnight and headed downstairs to the kitchen. Sam shook out her jacket and a crushed bullet fell out. To her shock, Sam realized that she had indeed been shot and checked her side. However, she wasn't wounded and the bullet had been flattened after hitting her.
Discovering her true identitySome weeks later, Samantha was at her kitchen preparing dinner and immersed in the doubt of whether she had powers or not. In order to test her suspicion, she put her hand in the boiling water without Ruby noticing. Much to her suprise, Samantha's hand wasn't even phased by the water's temperature. Sam then claimed she had to go back to work and asked Ruby to go to her friend Tess's house for dinner. Ruby tried to protest, but Sam snapped at her, saying it wasn't up for debate.
Samantha then drove to her adoptive mother, Patricia's home. Patricia was surprised to see her, as they hadn't spoken for 12 years, but warmly welcomed her in. As she got tea, Patricia tried to make conversation with her adoptive daughter, but they ended up having an argument. Sam was angry at her adoptive mother for kicking her out when she had Ruby whilst Patricia maintained that she did what was best for Sam. When asked why she had even come, Sam asked if she did anything strange growing up, such as lifting heavy objects or not sustaining injuries from bad falls, which Patricia denied. Sam then asked for information on her birth mother, but Patricia dodged the question. Upset, Sam started to leave, but ended up telling her adoptive mother what happened at Lena's press conference and tearfully revealed how she wasn't hurt by a bullet that hit her.
Samantha demanded answers, terrified about what was happening. Shocked at this, Patricia led Sam outside to a shed and showed her an extraterrestrial pod. She revealed that she found Sam, helpless and scared as a baby in the pod, but didn't know who left her in there or why. Patricia planned to tell Sam the truth when she turned 18, but the latter had left by then due to the pregnancy. Confirming that she was an alien, Sam examined the side panel of the ship, which caused the pod to turn on and a beacon emerged on the front.
Samantha prepared to go on a road trip to get some answers. She arranged for Mrs. Queller to stay with Ruby and left money for takeout. Sensing her daughter's worry, Sam explained she needed to take this trip to get some answers about herself and promised to tell Ruby everything once she returned. Sam excitedly stated that something wonderful is coming their way.Samantha took the beacon she found from the ship and followed its light out and into the middle of the desert. However, when her car broke down after a long while of driving, she was forced to go on foot. Beginning to doubt this endeavor, Sam nevertheless followed the beacon's signal to the middle of a clearing leading to a vast and eroding desert. All of a sudden, the ground shook and spikes of crystalline rock emerged to form a huge structure.
Samantha cautiously entered the structure and placed the beacon into a console panel that caused the panel to activate. A holographic projection emerged and welcomed her. Sam, recognizing the projection as the same figure she had seen her in her dreams, asked who she was. The projection responded by saying it was science, magic, information, and a friend. Sam wondered what this place was, and the projection explained it's the Fortress of Sanctuary, a piece of Sam's home, the dead planet Krypton. Familiar with the tale of the destroyed planet, from what was commonly known concerning both Superman and Supergirl's extra-terrestrial origins, Sam was shocked to discover that she indeed had powers and was a Kryptonian like Supergirl. The hologram stated she was more than that; Sam is a genetically-engineered being designed on Krypton to "execute justice". Feeling her hopes rising, Sam thought this meant that she was destined to become a hero, but the hologram stated that mankind would not see her as a hero. She was a Worldkiller, one who would would dispense justice without mercy, and cause Earth to burn.
Horrified, Sam rejected this instantly, saying she was a good person and had a daughter. The hologram coldly stated that Ruby was an error which delayed the full manifestation of Sam's powers, much to the latter's anger. The hologram promised that Sam would eventually forget about Ruby and all of her other "mortal trappings", as it was time for her to fulfill her true purpose as Reign. Sam screamed and doubled over in agony, her powers forcefully awakening. She suddenly stopped, opened her eyes and raised her head in a calm, almost peaceful manner as she stood up. When Sam looked forth, her eyes they turned a bright red and she eerily stated, "I have awoken" in ancient Kryptonese.
The Rise of Reign
The next morning, Samantha awoke from a "nightmare" in her bedroom and Ruby entered, worried. Ruby asked about her trip, but Sam had no memories of the day before, much to the former's confusion. Sam realized it was 11:00 am and she had slept in. Realizing it was "pancake o'clock", Sam and Ruby rushed downstairs to the kitchen to make chocolate chip and banana pancakes.That night, Samantha and Ruby attended Kara's Christmas party, for which Sam brought cookies. She arrived late and frazzled due to being held up with Christmas shopping and an L-Corp conference call with Germany. Sam thanked Alex for entertaining Ruby before she had a drink and talked with Kara and Lena. Sam and Kara started teasing Lena about the connection between her and James, which she denied. Kara then expressed how she was happy to have them as her best friends, to which Lena and Sam return the sentiment.
The next night on Christmas Eve, Samantha was working when she saw the news reporting a fatal shooting at a store that was carried out by the One-Seven Gang, which angered her and began to trigger Reign. Ruby then came in, asking when they could go for dinner. Sam sadly explained she still had work to catch up on and called Mrs. Queller to pick Ruby up. Her daughter was upset by this, but Sam cheered her up by recalling a previous Christmas that she and Ruby had spent on the road on the way to Central City, which turned out to be a fun day, as they had each other. She then gave Ruby her Christmas present: a necklace with the Supergirl symbol. Stating that the symbol means “stronger together”, Sam tells Ruby that was how they are together as mother and daughter — stronger.
Later, after Ruby left, Samantha was taken over by Reign, who brutally murdered the members of the One-Seven Gang.Samantha heard about an assassination attempt on Lena and went to CatCo to check on her friend. Lena assured that she was fine and stated she knew Morgan Edge was behind it but had no proof. Sam looked at the picture of Edge, coldly stating that he should be dead for what he tried to do as Reign took over and tried to kill Edge, which later led to a battle with Supergirl.Reign won the battle and Samantha arrived home.
The next morning on Christmas day, Ruby came downstairs calling for her mother, happily announcing that that it was Christmas. Samantha, who was staring outside the window, dressed all in black, with fingers twitching on one hand, whirled around.
Two days later, Samantha and Ruby are seen having a nerf-gun battle inside their house with the former, due to her lack of coordination (and perhaps still rearing from her strife with Supergirl), sending a picture crashing down. As Ruby prepared to go hang out with a friend, Sam’s eyes fell upon the printed news, seeing the battle between Supergirl and a rogue Kryptonian (herself). After Ruby left, Sam's eyes flashed red and Reign took over, beginning to wreck havoc on National City. Sam presumably returned home in time for dinner with Ruby.
Samantha, Ruby and Kara visit Alex, who is recovering from a leg injury (inflicted by Reign), in her apartment to drop off comfort food. Sam, who had to go out of town for a business trip on L-Corp’s behalf, found out that Mrs. Queller cancelled on watching Ruby for the day. Alex volunteered to do so instead, which Sam happily agreed to. She was next seen talking to Lena at L-Corp in the CEO’s office, with the latter giving her some last minute instructions. As soon as Lena left, Samantha heard a menacing voice whispering Kryptonese before her eyes flashed red and Reign emerged.When Reign was attacked by Psi's psychic wave, the resulting effect comes into a clashing conflict with Reign's dictated programming and Samantha's worst fear surfaced: visions of herself losing grip of a crying and distressed Ruby, who vanishes into eternal darkness. This forced manifestation causes Sam to briefly emerge back into control, panicked and sobbing. Looking around, Sam was unsure as to how she got to where she was (or what she’s wearing). Her gaze fell on Kara, whom she recognizes in her alter-ego persona. Kara in turn expresses concern for her, but Reign quickly regained control and fled. Later, Samantha returned to Alex’s place to collect Ruby. As her daughter waited outside at the elevator, Alex inquired about Sam's work trip, perplexing the later, who did not leave for such. Recalling having said earlier that she did indeed have a business trip, Sam checked her phone and saw multiple texts, emails and missed calls from Lena regarding the fact that she failed to show up for it. Distressed, Sam reveals to Alex that since around Christmas, she's been sporadically having blackouts with no memory of where she went or what she did when she comes to, much to Alex's worry.
After Alex's leg healed, Samantha and Alex headed to one of L-Corp's medical research labs; Sam used her company clearance to allow Alex to medically examine her there, as she doesn't fancy doing so at a hospital. As Sam prepares for an MRI, she voices her worries about her symptoms to Alex, who promised that they will deal with the results together. They prepared for the scanning procedure.Later, the two of them examine the MRI’s scans from a monitor. Alex notes that she couldn’t find anything wrong from the preliminary tests — hinting that the problem isn't anything rooted from within the recipient — and proposes that they send the images and a sample of Samantha’s blood to an expert. Sam laments on how much she's had to lie to Lena about work because of her condition and Alex suggests that maybe it's time to tell the truth about her current predicament. Sam protests that she doesn't want to become a burden and has been handling things on her own since becoming a mother. As Alex took some of Sam's blood, she recognized the latter's worries all too well and opened up, understanding how hard it can be to let people in, but stated that the only way she's getting through her heartbreak over her breakup with Maggie is by letting her sister help her. Finally conceding, Sam agrees to talk to Kara and Lena later that day and is given a lollipop by Alex.
At CatCo, Samantha came clean to Kara and Lena about her blackouts and apologized for not telling them sooner, as she is used to taking care of herself. Sam tearfully expressed her worry that Ruby would be all alone if something happened to her, which is one of her greatest fears, since she is all her daughter has. Kara, Lena and Alex point out that they're also Sam and Ruby's family and will be there for the both of them, no matter what, much to Sam's joy.Later, the four of them converged at Kara’s place as Alex received Samantha's medical results. Alex reported that all the test results came back clear and Sam was in perfect health, much to everyone's relief. Sam was concerned about what could possibly be wrong with her, but her friends urged her to take the good news that the worst possibilities have at least been eliminated. Sam then thanked Lena, Kara and Alex for their support before leaving to spend time with Ruby.
At L-Corp, Samantha discussed a performance issue with TYK Labs when she saw Lena in the CEO's office. Lena explains it's been a while since she focused on the company affairs, though Sam correctly guessed it was because she was sick and wondered if Lena believed she wasn't fit to run the company anymore. Lena recounts the night they met and how she admired Sam's focus and hard work. Lena explains she just wants to make sure Sam doesn't have a lot on her plate until they can figure out how to deal with her illness. Sam then agrees to take the day off to be with her daughter.Samantha picked up Ruby from school, having texted beforehand that they will be going ice-skating. When Ruby asked what was the occasion, Sam simply stated that it's been a rough couple of months and she misses her daughter, so they will be spending the day together to remedy that, much to Ruby's excitement. At the center of the ice rink, Samantha and Ruby had a race down the rink. Suddenly, Reign took over Samantha and swiftly left, leaving Ruby alone.
Hours later, a frantic Samantha went to see Lena at L-Corp, inquiring about her daughter. Lena assured Sam that Ruby is safe and revealed she knew about her mother's blackouts. Shocked, Sam grew upset, believing that Lena told her daughter about her illness. Lena attempted to explain that Ruby figured it out her own and the former simply reassured her they were looking into it, but Sam, panicked and angry, refused to listen. Lena tried to ask Sam some questions about her blackouts but Sam menacingly yelled "Silence!" She turned around, with Reign beginning to emerge. Perplexed, Lena called out Sam's name and saw her eyes glowing red. Sam snapped out of it and fell into a chair, horrified at having another blackout. Lena comforted Sam, saying she knew what was wrong and would make it better.
Discovering that she is ReignSam is later seen unconsciously bedridden and contained inside a customized, high-tech enclosure in what appeared to be a classified L-Corp laboratory as Lena approaches her, talking to James Olsen via her phone. Finishing Jimmy's call, Lena surveys Samantha's medically-sedated state with concern.
Sam awakens, after Lena cuts off the sedating intravenous drip that was keeping Arias in a medically-induced coma, gets up of the bed and sees her boss standing at a safe distance outside of the enclosure away from her unusual employee. And, with Lena answering that Ruby was being tended to, after Sam asking about her daughter and how long she had been away, Lena then drops the bomb (figuratively speaking) on Sam - elaborating that the somatic trials and medical tests she inducted upon her employee, whilst Sam was torpid, presented undeniable proof that Sam had been undergoing periods of bodily metamorphic change during her lapses in memory and consciousness, and then back to "default" whenever Sam as herself comes to, retrograding from what she turns into for the duration of such periods. Noticing Lena's ominous tone, Sam and in that grim moment of truth, Lena spills the beans - tentatively telling Sam that she becomes her. Reign, that is. 
After being exposed to a ancient Kryptonian rock, mixed with her blood sample by Lena Luthor, Reign seperated from Sam and became her own person while still connected to Sam's life force. As Reign grew stronger, Sam became weak and sick. This led to the discovery that Reign and Sam’s level’s of strength had an inverse effect. Sam used this discovery to venture into the Dark Forest and find a fountain of strength, aided by the spirt of her late mother, Patrica Arias. After drinking from the well, Sam grew strong, possessing Kryptonian powers while remaining her own person. With her new powers, she aided in the defeat of Reign. With Reign‘s destruction, Sam was happy to find out she no longer possessed Kyptonian DNA, and was now human.
Although Sam is a single mother, she does her very best to support her daughter, Ruby, who is the most important person to her in the world. She is very nice and caring, and has a motherly air to her. She has a high intellect, and has enough business knowledge to run L-Corp flawlessly. She is also a very strong woman, loyal to those closest to her (i.e. Lena Luthor) besides her own daughter, responsible to a fault, quite sociable and can hold her own in mental battles against businessmen, such as Morgan Edge, or even against Reign — Sam’s subliminal worldkiller side — whom the latter, for a time, was able to even talk back at, with impunity, during some of her visits into the mental plane that the two of them share when Lena’s experimental trials, aimed to suppress the Sam’s malevolent alien aspect, somehow brought Sam and Reign there at the same time.
According to Reign herself, Sam's character is stronger than her world killer persona initially dismissed — expressed by Sam taking cumulatively longer periods of control over herself and, in turn, increasingly suppressing Reign to keep her from emerging for just as long in the process, causing her to occasionally miss out or be late on summons sent out to her by the hologram from her Fortress — hinting a substantial sense of individuality on the part of Sam. And after the world killer went up against Psi, it was seen that Sam's greatest dread would be to lose her daughter, Ruby, for good. She later affirms to her closest circle of friends that she fears the thought of Ruby losing her mother and thus be left alone by herself in the world just as much.
Upon Lena realizing Sam's hidden World killer nature and bringing it up to the latter, complete with evidence — both circumstantial and trial-based - that Lena collected to back up her own suspicions on Sam's disturbing condition, Sam was instantly in denial at the very thought of how a seemingly ordinary person and frail human being like herself could be anything like the near-unstoppable alien zealot terrorizing criminality and even brutalized Supergirl in the wake of her inhumane vigilantism. And with Lena maintaining her claims to her employee's extra-terrestrial identity, a perturbed Sam accuses her employer of only thinking so because assuming the worst of people, such to the point of actually doubting their humanity, is what Luthors apparently and ultimately do, making Lena herself no different to the rest of her infamous family. This shows that even Sam, as herself, has her limits for people who fail her in her day-to-day civilian life.
Due to her forced mental programming operating on her as Reign, Sam becomes an exaggerated polar opposite of everything she is, while her world killer persona remains inactive in her default state, for the periods and durations wherein Reign remains in control: a brutal vigilante who indiscriminately kills anyone she sees as an evildoer in order to further her goal of ruling the world, and will react expediently cold and silently murderous whenever she comes across the said people or catch knowledge of such. She is cruel, sadistic and ruthless towards anyone who stands in her way. She is also egotistical; even though she doesn't actually see herself as a "god" or a "devil", she sees herself as "truth", "judgment", "death" and an executor of justice. Thus, her eventual dominion is inevitable and this causes her to also view those who say or stand otherwise as obstructing targets to her goal.
She believes all of her actions are intended to spread justice to all those who deserve it and is not above mocking or taunting those who oppose her whenever Reign has them at her mercy, making it possible to catch her off-guard when she least expects it. She also perceives that humanity has ruined their world and they must all be judged by her without exception. Despite her ruthlessness, she is not above offering prey whom she sees as her equal a chance to stand down, like how she offered Supergirl to do so (threatening to subject the latter "into purgatory" if she chooses to stand in Reign’s way) and was perhaps a hint disappointed when the latter refuses and even responded defiantly, making the disguised (and mentally-overridden) Samantha realize that she had to manhandle her fellow Kryptonian for her insolence.
But despite all of her negative drives and overzealous conviction, it would seem that Sam — as Reign — still retains vestiges of her civilian persona in that she has been known to simply leave be or tolerate those whom she is familiar with as Sam, even if they directly oppose her; this was made apparent when she smiled in amusement after Lena, her civilian boss and friend, refused to comply when Reign came to deliver her message to the world via CatCo's broadcast, rather than viewed the human as a standing obstacle to the cleansing that she was trying to effect (and the world killer would have killed her, just for that, on the most recent instructions received from the Fortress of Sanctuary) upon Earth, but went on with her purpose anyway and left Lena unharmed. Additionally, she rapidly took over and went immediately after Morgan Edge upon Sam learning that Edge staged an assault against Lena from days prior, hinting a protective (if not fiercely territorial) side of herself even as Reign.
Though this leniency of sorts oddly did not prevent her from attempting to go after Alex (whom Sam is also reasonably acquainted with) when the latter, J'onn and several of the D.E.O. operatives staged a futile ambush against the world killer - and had to be physically stopped by the Martian himself. Reign would later come close to killing Alex, knocking the latter down then stepping over to place a foot upon Alex's chest (though to be fair, at both confrontations, Alex clearly presented herself as Reign's enemy when she forced green kryptonite around the world killer's neck to bring the masked Sam down during first and then repeatedly fired several ineffective shots, in the second, with her gun at the latter) after telling the agent that she'll take her life then and there - only stopping at the beseech of Julia, who offers to be taken and become Purity completely on the condition that Alex was allowed to live.
The fact that Reign agreed to Julia's terms shows an honorable aspect on the part of the former not obligated to carry out every will of the Fortress of Sanctuary and would also not do anything as drastic as taking another's life without sufficient motive, since retrieving her fellow world killer, Purity, was her primary obligation at that time.
As Reign, Sam speaks in a disguised tone that ends her sentences in a reverberating manner.
Powers and abilities
- "There is no prison you can build that can contain me. There is no one on this planet of equal power that can kill me."
- —Reign to Supergirl[src]
- Dark magic-empowered Kryptonian physiology: Sam's physiology was altered due to genetic experiments and dark magic from Kryptonian Polytheistic Witches. Normally Sam's capacities are no greater than a normal human of her physical conditioning, However, once charged by the energy of a yellow sun and metabolized into her body, she becomes able to perform a variety of otherworldly feats. Due to her dark magic enhancements, her powers are naturally greater than any normal solar-powered Kryptonian. It is said that she was born from Rao's fire. According to a Kryptonian hologram, Sam as Reign has powers that are more advanced and potent than Supergirl, proven by her decisive victory over the National City protector. It is unknown if she is more powerful than Superman, but it is likely that she is just as powerful as him, as she has been on Earth for at least 35 years; the same number of years that Superman has spent under the Earth's yellow sun, but had augmented, much more potent powers, making Sam one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse.
- Superhuman senses: All of Reign's senses are heightened to greater than that of a normal human.
- Enhanced memory: As a Kryptonian, Reign's memory is greatly enhanced, allowing her to remember specific details of her birth and her creators.
- Solar energy absorption: Reign's powers are not dependent on the energy spectrum from the yellow sun, but she can fill her reserves with solar energy, augmenting her abilities, especially her heat vision. It is also possible that she can discharge all of the solar energy in her reserves.
- Super stamina: Reign can run or fight for long extended periods of time, and this aspect of her powers stem further than that of Supergirl.
- Accelerated healing factor: Sam's metabolism is tremendously enhanced by solar energy, allowing accelerated healing abilities and burning calories at a fast rate, making her practically immune to becoming overweight.
- Contaminant immunity: Sam has an immunity to all forms of disease and contaminants. After absorbing Grace’s abilities, she became immune to all forms of Pestilence as well.
- Flight: Sam is able to manipulate her own gravitational field to generate thrust and propel herself through the air, often at supersonic speeds, much faster than she can travel by foot.
- Sleep flight: Sam has the ability to float in the air, thanks to her ability of flying, while she sleeps, or as a voluntary act.
- Levitation: Sam is able to suspend herself in the air by floating.
- Super jumping/leaping: Sam is able to jump several feet off the ground and leap vast distances through the air, simulating short term flight. This ability is a combination of super strength and flight. Sam is also able to jump very high and generate enough force to smash through windows.
- Heat vision: By concentrating every solar energy reserve she has in her body, Sam can emit focused energy beams of variable intensity and temperature from her eyes. Unlike other known Kryptonians, Sam's are bright and searing red; it also appears to be more potent, as with it she was able to kill Livewire, who sacrificed herself to prevent Kara from getting hit instead. Her heat vision can also be used a lasers, rather than burning attacks.
- Invulnerability: Sam is essentially invulnerable to all Earthly weapons, with bullets simply ricocheting off her flesh. Her invulnerability is so intense that even when just beginning to manifest her powers, Sam remained oblivious to being shot at Lena's press conference attack, only noticing the lack of injury a while later. While fighting Supergirl, as a fully transformed Reign, though she was repeatedly staggered from all of the former's powerful attacks, she’s rather quick to recover and retaliate - emerging with no signs of even being hurt or tired at the end. Sam would later fare the same against J'onn who, despite the Martian's attempt to entrap Sam by miles beneath the Earth by phasing her through the planet's surface, was forced back above ground by the Worldkiller's thrashing movement as J'onn extended his intangibility over to her; and even then, Sam still had enough strength in her to go up against a newly-revived Kara and was only forced to retreat after she got close enough for Supergirl to inject refined Green Kryptonite directly into Sam's deep neck muscle. It was later made evident that her otherworldly resistance to physical harm, like every other enhanced attribute at Sam's disposal, is not dependent on a yellow sun, since she was able withstand a brunt of Livewire's electric-based attacks and even serenely ignored a steadily rising voltage surging across her outstretched arm that the meta-human was directly trying to electrocute her with while Sam was holding Leslie fast by the neck, only finally breaking free from the Worldkillers's grip once the energy that Livewire was amassing reach critical threshold and propelling both of them away to opposite directions. However, Sam's invulnerability as herself seems to be greatly mitigated until her Reign persona takes over, expressing itself only when inflicted with something that would otherwise be borderline detrimental or life-threatening (i.e. gunshot) which explains as to how Alex was able to draw blood from Sam via a syringe.
- Self-sustenance: Due to the effects of a yellow sun, Sam's physical needs are greatly reduced or completely removed. It is unknown if a yellow sun's absence voids this aspect of her powers.
- Atmospheric adaption: While Sam does require oxygen, her physicality allows her to survive while inhaling more harsh forms of it.
- Longevity: As a Kryptonian, Sam's lifespan is considerably longer than a normal human and likewise ages much slower, and after absorbing Pestilence’s powers, she should be able to live for a near-infinite amount of time, almost never aging.
- Electrosynthesis: Reign’s body creates her own power source, thus her powers are not reliant on the yellow sun.
- Kryptonite immunity: Reign has a very high level of resistance to Kryptonite. This was proven when Lena’s supercharged Kryptonite was only able to weaken her. Though she is somewhat immune to Kryptonite, supercharged, or very potent forms can weaken her, or possibly even kill her, if she had enough exposure to it. She was even able to attack the Kryptonite from inside her body after she had stabbed in the jugular vein by Supergirl. Though she has a high tolerance to Kryptonite, it can still penetrate her skin.
- Temperature and elemental resistance: Sam can resist any temperatures, including heat and cold, as well as elements such as rocks and high levels of electricity, as shown when she was crushed by rubble, burned by Supergirl, and frozen by Lex’s mansion defenses. She is also impervious to any other elemental attacks.
- Super smell: Although she rarely uses this power, as an enhanced Kryptonian, Reign has the ability to pick up smells that are very far away or very subtle. She can also identify where the smell is coming from.
- Super vision: As a Kryptonian, Reign is able to see very far distances, presumably at peak human, or low superhuman levels. She is even able to see clearly in the dark.
- Electromagnetic spectrum vision: As a Kryptonian, Reign can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods.
- Microscopic vision: Reign has achieved the ability to see extremely small objects down to the atomic level, and magnify objects for her eyes to see.
- Telescopic vision: Sam possesses the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-ray vision: Sam has the ability to see through objects; except for lead.
- Infrared thermal vision: Sam has the ability to see heat and cold signatures of people and other objects. Reign can also see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Super breath: Sam is able to exhale powerful gusts of air from her mouth which are similar to force winds. She can also cause the temperature of her breath to drop, therefore able to freeze nearly anything. And after Imra telekinetically shielded her husband from Reign’s freezing breath, that inadvertently formed an ice dome around the Daxamite, it was seen that the ice she creates in this manner bear enough constitution to resist Mon-El’s yellow sun-enhanced repeated strikes when he hopelessly attempted to break out of the solidice-sphere encasing him and keeping him hopelessly in place.
- Vocal alteration: As Reign, Sam usually speaks in a condescending reverberating manner, but by using her vocal alteration ability, she can turn her voice back to normal and vice versa. When using this power, the area around her throat glows a bright orange-red color. She first demonstrated this power by using it to trick "Patricia" and "Ruby" into thinking it was her human persona.
- Super hearing: Sam has super-sensitive ears that can perfectly pick up sounds from miles away and even through structures. Sam can also make her super hearing selective, and after absorbing Julia’s abilities, she immune to loud sounds, and can switch her super hearing on and off.
- Super speed: Sam possesses the ability to move at super-sonic speeds, both through flight and on foot. Her speed seems greater than Supergirl’s, who despite being fast enough to intercept bullets, failed to evade the vast majority of Sam’s assaults, and even repeatedly outmaneuver the latter for the most part of their first battle.
- Superhuman reflexes: As Reign, Sam’s reflexes are so fast, she can respond to attacks within seconds, much faster than Supergirl can, as she has overpowered the latter in hand-to-hand combat repeatedly.
- Accelerated perception: When moving at super speeds, Sam is still able to take in everything going on around her, except much slower.
- Super strength: On the day of the revelation of the Girl of Steel statue, after a mysterious attack by Bloodsport, in a moment of desperation to save her daughter, Ruby's life, Sam raised an iron bar with little effort. After her awakening, Sam's full strength was proven to be considerably greater than Supergirl’s, capable of feats like nearly overturning something as large as an oil tanker and punching away 31st Century artillery ordnance with apparent ease. While able to block some of Sam's blows, the repeated accumulation of hits that landed soon left Supergirl bleeding heavily and bruised all over, barely able to stand before finally falling into a coma and critical condition. It is unknown if Sam is stronger than Superman.
- Shockwave creation: By clapping her hands on stomping her feet with her super strength, she can create massive shockwaves, powerful enough to injure Supergirl. She can also use this to create a thunderclap effect, which generates so much force, it creates a large sound.
- Worldkiller link: The Worldkillers appear to have a link with each other using Reign as a nexus point. This is evident as no Worldkillers awoke until Reign did. Julia/Purity does not have children so this did not inhibit the development of her powers like Reign and only woke after Reign did. Along with the other world killers, Sam is able to create a full eclipse on Earth’s sun and generate a blue shockwave that was able to incapacitate Supergirl. Once Grace and Julia died their powers transferred to Sam, though Sam was able to apply both the Worldkillers’ powers further than they did respectively.
- Sonic scream: After absorbing Julia Freeman's powers, Sam can vocally emit a focused, high frequency sonic scream that is powerful enough to knock a fully grown Kryptonian feet away into a wall. She has advanced with this power so that her scream is powerful enough to make Martian Manhunter bleed profusely out of ears, so much so he needed to be hospitalized.
- Sonic inducement/Sound projection: With a slight clench of her hands, Sam, is able to induce vertigo, vibration, and a sonic sound in her immediate vicinity, extending outwards omni-directionally. She has also used this power to create powerful sound shockwaves in conjuction with her scream.
- Empathy: After absorbing Julia Freeman's powers, Sam is able to "see" into people, and is able to read peoples personalities, and look deep into their psyches.
- Sonic scream: After absorbing Julia Freeman's powers, Sam can vocally emit a focused, high frequency sonic scream that is powerful enough to knock a fully grown Kryptonian feet away into a wall. She has advanced with this power so that her scream is powerful enough to make Martian Manhunter bleed profusely out of ears, so much so he needed to be hospitalized.
- Pestilence inducement: After absorbing Grace Parker's power, Sam can spread some kind of contagious virus that can kill any living thing she comes into contact with as seen when dozens of pigeons fell dead from the sky, when people at city hall started having nose bleeds before collapsing and when a plant immediately died upon being touched. According to Mon-El, it is 100% fatal. She has taken this power so far as she does not need complete physical contact with the organism, but just needs to be in the vicinity of it. She was even able to affect plants that were yards away from her.
- Retractable claws: After absorbing Grace's power, Sam can grow her nails into yellow claws, sharp and dense enough to pierce Supergirl's invulnerable skin, and presumably any other being. Her claws can also induce pestilence when she grows her nails upon physical contact. Her nails are retractable, and can reform to normal size.
- Evolution: After absorbing Grace's powers, Sam can "evolve" into more powerful and potent forms of herself, including turning into diseases and creating new ones. She has used this ability to passively evolve her body in order to become more resistant to larger doses of Kryptonite.
- Telepathy immunity: Reign can resist psychic attack with ease, but this power falls short against more powerful telepaths such as Psi.
- Psychic interdimensional travel: According to Lena Luthor, Reign is capable of travel psychically between dimensions, while Sam is awake, Reign is in the dark valley and vice versa.
- Kryptonian physiology: Normally, like all Kryptonians, Sam’s capabilities are no greater than a normal human of her physical conditioning. However, once charged by the energy spectrum of a yellow sun, she is able to perform various inhuman feats.
- Solar energy absorption: While Sam’s powers are dependent on the energy spectrum from a yellow sun, her body is able to constantly and passively absorb such energy while exposed to it, essentially keeping her reserves fully charged almost constantly. Direct exposure to the light of a yellow sun will also accelerate her recovery from any injuries she manages to sustain.
- Accelerated healing factor: Sam's metabolism was tremendously enhanced by solar energy, allowing accelerated healing abilities and burning calories at a superhuman rate, making her practically immune to becoming fat or obese.
- Contaminant immunity: Sam had an immunity to all forms of disease and contaminants on Earth.
- Flight: Sam was able to manipulate her own gravitational field to generate thrust and propel herself through the air, often at hyper-sonic speeds, much faster than she can travel by foot. As such, she was able to levitate and fly past Earth's atmosphere and near the planet's orbit.
- Levitation: Sam could levitate using her flight abilities.
- Heat vision: By concentrating every solar energy reserve she has in her body, Sam can emit blue energy beams of variable intensity and temperature from her eyes.
- Invulnerability: While under the affects of the yellow sun, Sam is essentially invulnerable to all Earthly weapons, with bullets simply ricocheting whenever they come into contact with her skin.
- Extreme heat resistance: Sam felt no pain when exposed to extreme heat.
- Elemental resistance: Sam felt no pain when exposed to harmful elements like rocks, fire, electricity and ice.
- Self-sustenance: Due to the effects of a yellow sun, Sam's physical needs were greatly reduced or completely removed.
- Atmospheric adaption: While Sam does require oxygen, her physicality allowed her to survive while inhaling more harsh forms of it, or even no oxygen at all.
- Longevity: As a Kryptonian, Sam life span was considerably longer than a normal human and likewise causes her to age much slower.
- Super breath: While under the affects of the yellow sun, Sam was able to exhale powerful gusts of air from her mouth which are similar to force winds. She could also cause the temperature of her breath to drop, therefore able to freeze nearly anything.
- Super hearing: While under the affects of the yellow sun, Sam had super-sensitive ears that could perfectly pick up sounds from miles away and even through structures.
- Super speed: Sam possessed the ability to move at hyper-sonic speeds, both through flight and on foot.
- Accelerated perception: Sam could see everything much slower allowing her to move with precision and accuracy within very fast moments.
- Super strength: Sam's strength was enhanced under a yellow sun, enough to easily kill a normal human if she were to attack them directly.
- Super jumping/leaping: Sam was able to jump several feet off the ground and leap several stories in a single bound without having to fly.
- Super stamina: Sam could run, fight or fly for long periods of time, without getting tired.
- Super reflexes: Sam's reflexes are so fast, she could respond to attacks within seconds.
- Telepathy immunity: Sam was immune to most forms of telepathic powers, even from someone as powerful as J'onn J'onzz.
- X-ray vision: Sam had the ability to see through objects, except for lead.
- High-level intellect/Great business acumen: Samantha is very intelligent and a proficient businesswoman. Her experience and knowledge enabled Lena Luthor to make her the acting CEO and later CFO of L-Corp, with Samantha managing the company's financial and major business affairs. Long prior to that, Samantha was already working as a Junior VP of another company by the time she first met Lena.
- Intimidation: As Reign, Samantha is able to strike fear into the hearts of many humans like Morgan Edge and Thomas Coville, even the highly skilled and courageous top D.E.O. agent, Alex Danvers admitted she was terrified of her despite knowing practically little of the world killer. Even incredibly formidable meta-humans, like Psi and Livewire, would later join that long list of the fearful following Supergirl’s defeat at Reign’s hand, such that the former felt comfortable laying low in incarceration for her own safety (though ironically enough, it was later seen and confirmed that Psi’s psychic powers actually make her a significant threat against the powerful Worldkiller) and the latter grudgingly trying to adapt back into an honest living, lest they be targeted by the Worldkiller, and they both knew she will still come after them sooner or later; unsurprisingly, both empowered women from Earth were more than willing to join in when Supergirl, together with Imra Ardeen, assembled an all-female expedition to Fort Rozz with the aim of collecting intel on how to defeat Reign. Highlighting it all was Supergirl herself, who showed some hints of fearing for her own life after getting into an epic strife with Reign through National City, ultimately being put under the latter’s mercy.
- Multilingual: Samantha is capable of fluently speaking English and after her awakening, Kryptonese as well.
- Expert combatant: Though not particularly acrobatic beyond her capacity of self-propelled flight, as Reign, Samantha is a very capable unarmed combatant. Able to effectively combine her raw might into her battle tactics, she is shown able to land efficient and devastating blows that very few could defend against. Ultimately, she was able to defeat and severely injure Supergirl, putting her on a coma, who received considerable combat training, able to block and counter many of her fellow Kryptonian's blows while gradually wearing down Supergirl with her vicious strikes, even whilst soaring together with her in midair, until Supergirl was too winded and battered to fight back. Sam can even fight evenly against Supergirl and Mon-El at once using their capes.
- Culinary Expertise: Samantha is great at cooking, having made delicious homemade meals for herself, Ruby and her friends.
- Telepathy: As seen on Fort Rozz when in battle with Psi, Samantha, even as Reign, was easily over powered by the latter's psychic powers.
- Solar energy depletion: Reign has stated her powers come from an unknown source and not from the sun which means she doesn't need the radiation originating from a yellow sun to use her powers, as was evident when she maintained access to them despite traveling near a blue sun — which typically has the same effect as a red sun, robbing normal Kryptonians of their yellow sun-enhanced capabilities.
- Split personality: Sam's full powers are not truly available to her own discretion. Apart from her invulnerability, only in moments of extreme stress can she access some of her other powers, and not at full capacity. Once her programming was awakened, as Reign, she has full access to her powers, but becomes completely unaware of it. Her separate persona as the world killer is completely void of all her past memories as Samantha and upon reverting to her normal-self, remains completely oblivious to all actions as Reign, apart from some vague memories emerging in dreams. The shift in personality seems to subtly occur, if not fully activate, whenever angered by wrongdoings going on, indicated by a dark expression rising from Sam’s face along with her eyes flashing an eerie red, and it would seem that both Reign and Sam are not entirely two separate entities forced into the same body, since the former presumably proceeded to enact the initiating "Mark of the Beast" step of the Kryptonian End of Days using Sam's in-depth knowledge of L-Corp and thus left her mark, the Juru "Low Speech" sigil, on several of the company’s property — which made Lena Luthor believe that, once again, Morgan Edge was behind it as only he would hold a grudge that personal enough to deface Lena that intensely without leaving a trace that would implicate him having a hand in it — and was quite comfortable sporting her emblazoned outfit beneath Sam's normal work clothes. Furthermore, Sam's conscience was momentarily forced to resurface after Psi struck Reign with a fear-inductive psionic assault, bringing out Sam’s worst fear of losing her daughter that briefly freed her from Reign’s control. Additionally, in spite of her tonal voice being distorted to prevent recognition, Reign's speech mannerisms seem to exhibit aspects of Earth's lingo (i.e. her use of "gonna" instead of "going to") due to having spent time alongside humans as Sam. After being exposed to a ancient kryptonian rock Reign seperated from Sam and became her own person while still connected to Sam life force.
- Lead: Even with her X-ray vision, Sam cannot see through lead. After being stripped of her kryptonian DNA she no longer has this weakness and ever other weakness that comes with being a kryptonian.
- Stunted power development: Due to becoming pregnant with a child before she fully developed through puberty, Sam's natural physiological development was stunted and her powers were not awoken until later than normally expected.After being stripped of her kryptonian DNA she no longer has this weakness and ever other weakness that comes with being a kryptonian.
- Kryptonite: Like all Kryptonians, even while empowered, Sam is vulnerable to the exposure of Kryptonite, a radioactive mineral from her home planet Krypton. Depending on the nature of the said Kryptonite, it will cause a different and adverse affect on her. Now Sam has developed immunity to green kryptonite, but it's unknown what other kryptonite variants affect her.After being stripped of her kryptonian DNA she no longer has this weakness and ever other weakness that comes with being a kryptonian.
- Red sun energy: Sam is powerless when exposed to the energy of a red sun. However, similar to Green Kryptonite, the said colored energy would appear to have a mitigated effect on her, since she was thrown back but otherwise retained her powers — not to mention most of their intensity — after getting exposed to a red sun grenade lobbed upon her by Alex.After being stripped of her kryptonian DNA she no longer has this weakness and ever other weakness that comes with being a kryptonian.
- Selective empowerment: Sam as herself seems to have lesser access to the entirety of her world killer's side than Reign, making the former comparably weaker — only able to exhibit her Kryptonian world killer traits under very specific circumstances, such as getting shot, flattening the bullet that struck her in the process. At other times, however, Sam’s durability seemed about as frail as a human’s, as seen when she permitted Alex to draw some blood from a vein using the needle of a syringe that successfully pierced through the former’s skin. While technically a weakness, this limitation is also what allows Sam to pass as a regular human without inducing suspicion from even those close to her life. After being stripped of her Kryptonian DNA she no longer has this weakness and ever other weakness that comes with being a Kryptonian.
- Life force link: After being separated, Samantha and Reign possessed a link that connected their life forces to one another; one absorbed the life of the other. Samantha used this to defeat Reign.
- Reign suit: Sam wears a protective suit as her super-villainess alter-ego, Reign, to hide her identity from her victims.
- Sword of Juru: Reign used the sword of Juru in an attempt to complete Earth's terraforming, however later Sam stole the sword from her.
- Samantha loves pancakes, Italian baked goods and lollipops.
- She has a fear of needles.
- She is allergic to cats.
- As of "", following the defeat of her Reign alter-ego, Sam no longer has any Kryptonian powers, however, it is unknown if she has permanently lost her powers or if they are simply suppressed, given the fact that these said powers were amplified by magic.