Red Tornado (destroyed January 2015) was a combat android designed by T.O. Morrow to kill Kryptonians. Morrow created Red Tornado in his own image.
Red Tornado was a billion dollar investment, taking over eleven years to research and develop.
Tested against Supergirl
Red Tornado was activated by T.O. Morrow when General Sam Lane asked Supergirl to fight it, to test the android's capabilities. The next day, both Red Tornado and Supergirl battled. Though Red Tornado was initially winning the fight, Supergirl soon gained the upper hand, causing internal system damage to Red Tornado, and taking off its arm in the process. Due to this, Red Tornado's emergency self-preservation function was activated, with the android escaping. The next day, still under the control of Morrow, Red Tornado confronted Sam Lane, Lucy Lane, and James Olsen, pushing Lucy into a table with a gust of wind. Though it attempted to attack Sam Lane, Red Tornado was prevented from doing so by Supergirl. Afterwards, Red Tornado created a tornado as a diversion to escape.
Supergirl's team was able to draw Red Tornado out with a projection of General Lane, the android attempted to attack the hologram before being shot in the back by Supergirl. A battle between the two ensued, while it managed to overpower and keep Supergirl in a chokehold until after T.O. Morrow was killed and no longer controlling the android. While Supergirl caught her breath, the android became sentient and continued attacking her. However, Red Tornado was destroyed by Supergirl, who in a fit of rage, fired a powerful blast of heat vision at the android causing it to explode. In the aftermath of the battle, however, Supergirl had exhausted her solar energy through her heat vision and temporarily lost her abilities.
- Aerokinesis: As a combat android, Red Tornado was designed to be able manipulate the air around him.
- Air blasts: Red Tornado was capable of creating highly concentrated blasts of wind.
- Tornado creation: Red Tornado was capable of creating destructive tornadoes, as shown when he did so as a diversion to escape from Supergirl.
- Flight: Red Tornado was capable of flight by channeling cyclone winds through the lower part of his body.
- Stealth mode: Red Tornado was capable of a stealth mode, in which he was 100% undetectable, even by Supergirl herself; this was due to the fact that he was made out of lead.
- Missile projection: Red Tornado was capable of firing missiles from it's hand, which were able to stun Supergirl while exploding against her, though they could not damage her.
- Invulnerability: Red Tornado was able to sustain hits from Supergirl, though it was eventually damaged by her and escaped. It withstood her heat vision for a time before being overloaded by its energy and exploding.
- Super strength: Red Tornado has inhuman strength that allows it to fight a Kryptonian on almost equal grounds, to the point where it could almost overpower and kill one, as it seemed to come close to killing Supergirl with a chokehold.
- "The Darkest Place" (mentioned)
Adventures of Supergirl
Behind the scenes
- In DC comics the android Red Tornado was originally created as an enemy to the Justice League, though he eventually redeemed himself, not only adopting a human alter ego, that of "John Smith", but also becoming a member of the team. He is the second character to carry the "Red Tornado" moniker, as the first was a woman named Abigail "Ma" Hunkel.