- For the Coluan named Brainiac 8, see Indigo.
Querl Dox, also known as Brainiac 5, is a Coluan and a member of The Legion. A 12th-level intellect considered a genius even by the standards of Colu, Brainiac 5 is an incredible scientist, inventor, and combat strategist, affectionately nicknamed "Brainy" by the other legionnaires.
Querl Dox was born in the 31st century on the planet Colu to the so called "Brainiac clan". A genius with a 12th-level intellect, the highest ever recorded on the planet, at some point in his life, being inspired by the superheroism of the 21st century and Supergirl's ideals, as well as the story and legend about her, he joined The Legion, a group of superheroes founded and led by the time-displaced Daxamite Mon-El,
While on a mission, he, Mon-El, Imra Ardeen and three other unidentified legionnaires hit a wormhole, and were transported 12,000 years into the past. They decided to put themselves into cryo-sleep until the 31st century, but Mon-El and Imra were awakened early when a torpedo hit their ship in 2017 and they later decided to awaken also Brainiac 5 to help Kara after she lost her first fight against Reign.
After Mon-El woke Querl to help Supergirl, they placed her in a suspension tank in the Legion's ship while they fitted her with a neural implant that allowed Querl to go into her mind. Once there, he found Kara in a mental simulation of her loft. He was surprised to find that everything seemed to be normal to both her confusion and irritation. He then introduced himself and told her that she was in a coma following her battle with Reign. However, it seemed like she was stuck. Back outside with the others, Querl told them that Kara seemed healthy enough but couldn't seem to wake up.
Powers and abilities
- Coluan physiology: Being a synthetic lifeform, Querl's physiology allows him to shape his body and interact with technology.
- Cybernetic interface: Querl is a Coluan cybernetic being. He is able to transfer body in the form of digital code and teleport through any technology by flying into it while in digital form. He can use any electronics as a portal to another destination, traveling through electronic and digital signals, while he is unable to travel through older broadcasting signals. He can interface with any machinery and manipulate computer systems, as well as detect digital electronics and signals, while he could not do so with older broadcasting signals and technology. Being incredibly multitasking, he can project his own mind into another via cybernetics devices and maintain enough clarity to speak at the same time with the person to which he is connected and the others in the real world.
- Super strength: Querl's strength allowed him to fight a Kryptonian on equal grounds.
- Super speed: Being a Coluan, Querl is also showcased blinding levels of speed.
- Invulnerability: Querl's body is denser than a human's but not nearly as durable as a Kryptonian's.
- Self-repair: As a digital being, Querl is able to self-repair, though only if he is conscious, otherwise the Omegahedron can be used to reconstitute him.
- Shapeshifting: Being a Coluan, Querl can change his appearance.
- Malleability: Being a Coluan, Querl is able to manipulate his limbs to stretch and elongate to almost no limit and turn his limbs into blades that can pierce into Martians. He is able to absorb bullets harmlessly into his body if shot.
- Abilities via Legion Ring: Each member of the Legion is granted a special ring that serves as a form of identification, along with granting each member several other capabilities.
- Flight: The ring has been shown to enable Querl the ability to fly through unspecific means. It seems to be activated through a telepathic suggestion, as no thoughts or movements were taken to activate it. It appears that it allows Querl to fly in a more hover-like stance rather than the typical vertical form of flying found in Martian Manhunter or Supergirl.
- Telepathy immunity: The ring has been shown to give the wearer the ability to resist telepathic abilities such as when M'yrnn J'onzz loses control in the DEO and cause everyone to display violence towards each other.
- Genius-level intellect: Querl has a "12th-level intellect", which grants him superhuman calculation skills, amazing memory and exceptional technical know-how. This increased intellect gives him superior calculating abilities, an encyclopedic memory and innovating scientific knowledge even by Coluans standards. By concentrating the power and disciplined nature of his mighty mind he safely operated many 31st century devices with ease.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant: As a Legionnaire, Querl has participated in Legion combat training and is an adequate hand-to-hand combatant.
- Psychotherapy: Querl is trained in psychology and tried to use his skills to enter Kara's mind and help her to wake from her coma.
- Expert pilot: Querl is an extremely skilled pilot, being able to driving The Legion Cruiser when in battle with Reign.
- Viruses: Since Querl is a A.I, he can be subjected to viruses.
- Limited intellect: Although not technically a weakness, in some cases his intellect is a disadvantage. Like most geniuses, Querl likes to think of complicated solutions to problems using advanced technology of his native 31st century inaccessible in the 21st century. As such he doesn’t simplify problems like lower intellects such as Winn Schott to find easier solutions for problems that are possible in the 21st century.
- Reliance on 31st century technology: A lot of Brainiac's solutions to problems rely upon advanced technology from the 31st century, which he no longer has access to, meaning he has to rely on 21st century technology putting him at a disadvantage to people like Winn.
- Legion suit: Querl wears a protective suit during battle.
- Legion flight ring: Querl's legion ring allows him to fly.
- Indigo is also Coluan, and another descendant from the "Brainiac clan", originally called Brainiac 8. However, as of now, there is no confirmation of what the lineage connection between Brainiac 5 and Indigo is.
- In the comics, Brainiac 5 is called the "black sheep of the family" because he stepped away from being a villain to be a hero and joined the Legion of Super-Heroes.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Brainiac 5 is a descendant of the well-known enemy of Superman, Brainiac, a prominent member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, and one of the longest romantic partners of Supergirl.