- "I don't need tricks, just collateral."
- —Onyx Adams[src]
According to the Shadow Record, Onyx joined the League of Assassins in 1743. She was considered a member of the League all the way through the times of Rip Hunter's discovery of the Shadow Record and the writing of his thesis on the organization's history.
Working for CIA
At some point several centuries later, Onyx joined the United States' CIA Black Ops and led a squad in undercover operations across the country of Myria. The squad deserted in 2015, stealing a $100 million in Myrian government gold, disappearing from the eyes of American agents. Three of her squad's original members defected back to the CIA for a little while, before being murdered in gas attacks, likely organised by her crew.
Ever since the squad's disappearance, they were planning a ZX gas heist, finding the tech they need to do it. The gas heist itself was a part of the operation to silence the defectors of their plan, and settle this grudge. Although Team Arrow was initially unable to stop the gas heist, thus making Onyx's squad thinking that they are less then well equipped to stop their operation, when the group finally moved to the plan to kill Rob Reynolds, the final defector, the vigilantes managed to stop the squad's lightning tricks. Onyx was then cornered by the new Green Arrow and tried to escape his attention by enabling the gas trap and running away. However, Team Arrow managed to avert the spread of gas due to Black Canary's powers, while Green Arrow caught up to Onyx. She was about to finish off Reynolds, saying that while money can buy happiness, it can't buy her peace of mind regarding him being a loose end, but before she could do that, Green Arrow finally apprehended her.
Powers and abilities
- Longevity: Despite having joined the League of Assassins in 1743, Onyx still possesses the health, performance, and appearance of her physical prime of life. It is possible that she used the waters of the Lazarus Pit to maintain her youth.
- Peak of human physical condition: As an assassin, Onyx is in top physical condition.
- Master combatant/Martial artist: As a member of the League of Assassins since 1743, hence having over centuries of fighting experience, Onyx is an outstandingly skillful combatant and martial artist, as she was able to fight on par with John Diggle, who is a master combatant and martial artist in his own right. Onyx has gone through the training all League members do. She possesses skills in combat, assassination and stealth.
- Explosives expert: Onyx specialized in different kinds of grenades to cover her tracks, destroy opposition or cause collateral damage.
- Lightning grenades:
- Gas emitters:
- Pistol: Onyx uses a gun in her line of work.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- Although her name appeared on the Shadow Record in the Legends of Tomorrow episode "Left Behind" as a member of the League of Assassins, the Arrow episode "Next of Kin" didn't aknowledge this. It’s possible that Team Arrow just doesn't know about this, as she may not have disclosed this to the CIA. It’s also possible that, like other members of the League, she used the Lazarus Pit to extend her life.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Onyx Adams, often known as just Onyx, was a former member of the League of Assassins, who later atoned as a member of the Batman family, later becoming a member of superhero group Outsiders and later a leader of Fist Clan. In her first appearance, she was also a supporting character for Green Arrow, Oliver Queen.