- "I don't need tricks, just collateral."
- —Onyx Adams[src]
According to the Shadow Record, Onyx joined the League of Assassins in 1743. She was considered a member of the League all the way through the times of Rip Hunter's discovery of the Shadow Record and the writing of his thesis on the organization's history.
Working for CIA
At some point several centuries later, Onyx joined the United States' CIA Black Ops (whether of her own volition or due to a mission from the League of Assassins) and led a squad in undercover operations across the war-torn country of Syria. The squad deserted in 2015, stealing a $100 million in Syrian government gold, disappearing from the eyes of American agents. Three of her squad's original members defected back to the CIA for a little while, before being murdered in gas attacks, supposedly organized by ISIS, but likely with Onyx's involvement.
Ever since the squad's disappearance, they were planning a ZX gas heist, finding the tech they need to do it. The gas heist itself was a part of the operation to silence the defectors of their plan, and settle this grudge. Although Team Arrow was initially unable to stop the gas heist, thus making Onyx's squad thinking that they are less then well equipped to stop their operation, when the group finally moved to the plan to kill Rob Reynolds, the final defector, the vigilantes managed to stop the squad's lightning tricks. Onyx was then cornered by the new Green Arrow and tried to escape his attention by enabling the gas trap and running away. However, Team Arrow managed to avert the spread of gas due to Black Canary's powers, while Green Arrow caught up to Onyx. She was about to finish off Reynolds, saying that while money can buy happiness, it can't buy her peace of mind regarding him being a loose end, but before she could do that, Green Arrow finally apprehended her.
Powers and abilities
- Longevity: Despite having joined the League of Assassins in 1743, Onyx still possesses the health, performance, and appearance of her physical prime of life. It is possible that she used the waters of the Lazarus Pit to maintain her youth.
- Peak of human physical condition: As an assassin, Onyx is in top physical condition.
- League of Assassins training: Onyx has gone through the training all League members do. She possessed skills in combat, assassination and stealth.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: As a member of the League of Assassins since 1743, Onyx is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist since she was able to fight on par with John Diggle, a master hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist in his own right.
- Explosives expert: Onyx specialized in different kinds of grenades to cover her tracks, destroy opposition or cause collateral damage.
- Lightning grenades
- Gas emitters
- Pistol : She uses a gun in her line of work.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- "Left Behind" (mentioned)
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Onyx Adams, often known as just Onyx, was a former member of the League of Assassins, who later atoned as a member of the Batman family. In her first appearance, she was a supporting character for Green Arrow, Oliver Queen.