On October 10, 2017, Mina rode a bus, which suddenly stopped to pick up Becky Sharpe as she was running to catch it. As she came in, Mina spared her a moment's glance before she looked away. Her jacket was noticed by Ralph Dibny and he saw that there was a black bison stitched on the back. Suddenly, the bus was hit by a blinding light as a wave of dark matter poured into it when Barry Allen had exited from the Speed Force, which transformed her into a meta-human.
Mina was a passionate in her cause in preserving the rights of her people, as well as their history, artifacts and customs. Clifford Devoe described her as an animated woman who felt that teaching was a calling. This perhaps is what led to her having the power to animating effigies into serving her.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Mina was struck by the dark matter energy from the Flash being released from the Speed Force, this altered her DNA and cells, enabling her to access her newfound powers.
- Effigy animation: In a partially telekinetic manner, Mina has the ability to temporarily animate inanimate objects by leaving a psychic imprint on effigies, giving her a subconscious link with them. This results in the effigies being infused with dark matter on a molecular level, so that they do not have to be within Mina's proximity or line of sight in order to literally enliven them.
- Particular shape: Despite the versatility and fine-tuned control of her powers, Mina's choices on what to manipulate with her powers are limited to only targets that are shaped with features that would allow self-mobility (i.e. having limbs and similar appendages).
- "The Flash Reborn" (unseen; riding the bus)
- "Mixed Signals" (indirectly mentioned)
- "Luck Be a Lady" (flashback)
- "When Harry Met Harry..."
- "Therefore I Am" (photograph)
- "Don't Run" (indirectly mentioned)
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, there were two supervillains who went by the name, Black Bison. While both of them were male, they were also Native American and shared a motivation very similar to Mina's in the TV series.
- Just like Rosa Dillon Mina is a genderbent version of Roscoe Dillon, Mina is one of John Ravenhair, her DC male counterpart.
- Her name was originally reported to be "Mina Chayton" in the press.