Manhawks are winged humanoid creatures created by Vandal Savage while under the identity of Dr. Curtis Knox in Oregon during the 1950s. Their traits they exhibited are similar to Hawkman's and Hawkgirl's, albeit the subjects are far more monstrous and feral. He used a Nth metal meteor to mutate a group of local teenagers into monstrous winged like creatures. When Rip Hunter's team arrived in the time period, they learned of a recent string of murders and they suspected Savage was involved. During the investigation Jefferson Jackson was kidnapped by Savage and turned into one of the Manhawks. He, however, was rescued along with the other teenagers and were returned to normal using advanced gene therapy. It is believed that these traits are similar to that of the Thanagarians.
Powers and abilities
- Beak/Teeth: Along with their talons, their jaws are transformed into a sharp beak with teeth like shapes on it, which they can use to bite and maul humans to death.
- Enhanced strength: These creatures had strength seemingly equal to Hawkman's and Hawkgirl's, especially while they used their wings or while they were flying, as they could effortlessly overpower and lift humans, usually flying off with them after swooping down and grabbing them.
- Flight: They are able to use their wings to take flight into the sky, as well as to swoop down and fly off with people.
- Talons: Their fingers are sharp enough to tear through flesh and allow them to maul humans to death.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, the Manhawks are an alien race that resemble humanoid hawks. They are known as marauders stealing what they can from alien worlds. They attacked the planet Thanager and in response the Thanagarians created the Wingmen a group of law enforcement officers outfitted with Nth metal wings. In comparison, the Manhawks seen in the show rather resemble Thanagarians themselves, although mutated.