- For the comic book series issue of the same name, see Diggle (issue).
Assault decoy and support for Oliver Queen's team (in secret)
Army special forces (formerly)
|Family||Andy Diggle (brother; deceased)|
Carly Diggle (sister-in-law; formerly)
A.J. Diggle (nephew)
Lyla Michaels (ex-wife)
- "I don't want there to be any confusion, Mr. Queen. My ability to keep you from harm will outweigh your comfort."
- — Diggle to Oliver Queen[src]
John Diggle (born 1978), better known by Diggle or "Dig" to Oliver, is a bodyguard, ex-soldier and a member of Oliver's vigilante team. He is the older brother of the late Andy Diggle, who was murdered by Deadshot, the former brother-in-law and ex-boyfriend of Carly Diggle, the uncle of A.J. Diggle, the bodyguard, chauffeur, partner, and a good friend of Oliver Queen, and good friend Felicity Smoak, and the ex-husband of Lyla Michaels.
Before he was hired to protect Oliver Queen, he was in the army. While with his unit in Afghanistan, the group ends up in an trap. The men of the unit were all killed, but John killed the entire group of assailants.
In "Honor Thy Father", Oliver continued to try and avoid him.
In "Lone Gunmen", It is revealed that he had a brother, Andy, who died working as a bodyguard and thus left behind his wife. He discovers Oliver is Arrow after he is shot by Deadshot, and is taken to Oliver's lair to recuperate.
In "An Innocent Man", After discovering Oliver is Arrow, he quit his job as Oliver's bodyguard stating how he did not approve how "Oliver spent his nights". However, he later joined Oliver in helping Starling City.
In "Damaged", He donned the Arrow costume in order to save Oliver from incarceration.
In "Muse of Fire",
In "Year's End ",
In "The Odyssey",
In "Dead to Rights", John was training Felicity, wanting her to be capable of handling herself. Then Oliver returned and John asked how the earlier mission went, and Oliver answered "Bad for him". Oliver then informed him and Felicity of that it was an assassin named, Guillermo Barrera, and he needed Felicity to hack his phone in order to figure out who his target was. When Felicity hacked Barrera's phone she was able to see that the last number that was called was to a restaurant called Jade Dragon, and John revealed that it is a front for the Chinese Mafia. Then when Felicity had hacked the phone they saw that the target is Malcolm Merlyn. He interrupts Oliver and McKenna Hall's date and informs Oliver of who the target is. After Oliver got back from saving Malcolm, Oliver informed John that Malcolm was taken to the hospital stating that it was good he wore a bulletproof vest. Oliver tells him that Malcolm is not at the hospital for being shot, he is there because of being poisoned by curare. John then realized that Floyd Lawton, his brother's killer, is still alive.
In "The Huntress Returns", John was watching the Starling City Sentinels report of Deadshot's kill until Oliver arrived and John showed him a video of Helena Bertinelli killing Gus Sabatoni, and he warned Oliver of that she might tell someone about them and their operation. Oliver told John he wants him to get in touch with their contacts in the Bratva and ask anyone in the street if they know why Helena is back and what she want. Later Oliver tells him that Helena paid a visit to his house and made a treat and he want security on his mother and sister. John tells him that he is way ahead of him. Later when Helena had blackmailed Oliver into helping her kill her father, John talked to him about Helena thinking Oliver should kill her, the Oliver asked him what he would do if it was Floyd Lawton and he answered not what Helena is doing. Oliver called him and when he came to Felicity's office there he found Oliver freeing a tied up Felicity.
In "Unfinished Business",
In "Home Invasion", John and Oliver planned to take down Deadshot. With Felicity hacking A.R.G.U.S's database, they learned that Floyd was returning to Starling City to met a potential client, which really was A.R.G.U.S setting a trap for Deadshot. When John went to the mall, the trap was already taking place. He observed the A.R.G.U.S agents (including Lyla) while waiting for Floyd to show up and when Floyd was started sniping the agents John quickly ran towards Lyla, and was able to save her and then he ran to stop Floyd from escaping. John ran into Floyd in the staircase, the two fought, and Floyd got hold of John's gun. Floyd held John's gun at his face, and he forced him to fall on his knees with his hands behind his head. John told Floyd "I'm gonna kill you for what you did to Andy". Floyd answered, "I would pull the trigger right now, but no one is paying me" and he told John, "I got space for you right here next to your brother", showing John his victim tattoo of Andy. Floyd then punched him in the face with his gun, and left John on the floor. Felicity later tended to his wound and when Oliver came back, John was angry at him for not showing up when he needed him. When Oliver later tried to get on the same page as John, John told him they were done with each other and quit being a member of the team.
In "The Undertaking", Felicity goes to John, and tells him about the new lead. He says he will come back as soon as Oliver apologizes, but because of his stubbornness to admitting his wrong, he knows Oliver won't. After overhearing Moira and Malcolm talking, Oliver realizes that he will need all the help that he could get. Oliver apologizes to John, and told him about Moira's involvement in The Undertaking, saying he needed John's help to stop it.
In "Darkness on the Edge of Town", John is back on the team. He pretends to be Arrow to get information from Moira, hitting Oliver to gain information. He was meant to draw back his punches, but Oliver comes back limping and injured.
In "Sacrifice", John and Oliver go after Malcolm together. John gets injured and has to let Oliver go without him. He manages to get up the stairs but Oliver doesn't need his help in the end as he kills Malcolm. Oliver leaves John as he realizes that the earthquake was hitting Laurel's workplace.
In "City of Heroes", John and Felicity travel by plane to Lian Yu, to convince Oliver to return home. Oliver initially refuses, but he and Felicity convince him not to return as the vigilante, but as Oliver Queen, because he's needed more than ever as his mother's trial is coming up and a takeover of Queen Consolidated is imminent. Later, Oliver finds out that John lied to him, and only wanted him back to catch the group calling themselves, The Hoods. In a board meeting, The Hoods come after Oliver Queen, trying to kill him, but John intervenes. John and Felicity are later left wondering why Oliver avoided attacking The Hoods. Oliver tells them that they aren't considering the body count, Felicity asks him why he cares now, and John realizes it was "since Tommy". Later Oliver, Felicity, and John go to the upgraded HQ to plan to take down The Hoods, who have now captured Thea.
In "Identity", John and Oliver visit the Glades Memorial Hospital, and he tells Oliver how people from the earthquake ended up there. John and Oliver see Sebastian Blood talking to press outside as they leave the hospital. John tells Oliver that Sebastian has very strong opinions and that he believes the Glades have been abandoned, and that no one gives a damn about the people in the Glades. After a quick chat between Oliver and Sebastian, they leave, with some of the protesters becoming violent. Later, John and Oliver, as Arrow, take on China White and Bronze Tiger. John drives away in one of the trucks, but is soon after attacked by China White, and they face off. As China White gains the upper hand, Oliver shoots a trick arrow at her, pinning her to a nearby pole.
In "Broken Dolls",
In "League of Assassins",
In "Keep Your Enemies Closer", it is revealed that Lyla Michaels and John met in Afghanistan, and then got married. At the end of John's second tour, they rotated back Stateside, where their marriage could not survive the peace, and they divorced. John went back to Afghanistan for a third tour, while Lyla joined A.R.G.U.S. In the episode, Lyla is missing in Russia, having been captured during an intel operation in a Russian gulag. John is recruited to break her out, because A.R.G.U.S. does not have sufficient resources for the operation, and her superiors already consider her disavowed and dead. Oliver and Anatoli arrange to get John arrested and sent to the prison, where he finds Deadshot, whom he teams up with to break Lyla out of jail. Afterwards, John chooses to spare Deadshot's life rather than kill him in cold blood. In return, he is informed that an organization called H.I.V.E. hired Deadshot to kill his brother Andy. After returning to the States, John and Lyla rekindle their relationship.
In "State v. Queen", John collapses after being unknowingly dosed with Vertigo. He is taken to the Arrowcave to recover. While recuperating, he and Felicity deduce that Count Vertigo is distributing the drug to the citizenry of Starling City through flu vaccination trucks.
Contrary to his seemingly tough exterior, John is a very perceptive and wise individual, being the first to notice that something was different about Oliver after he came back from the island. This was what prompted Oliver to have him as his comrade.
Since becoming a member of Oliver's team, John has provided Oliver with a bigger sense of direction, such as when he suggests saving and helping other people from danger instead of hunting down every last men in his father's book. He also provides Oliver with wise counsel, even if Oliver doesn't agree with him sometimes.
Due to his time in the military, John is a disciplined and level-headed person who tries to approach everything with a calm demeanor. He has a sense of justice and honor, and is loyal to the people he cares about. He also has a dry sense of humor.
- Extensive military training: John is well-trained in the armed forces disciplines, and has mentioned that he was once a part of Special Forces.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: John is a skilled fighter, having developed his skills during his time as a soldier. He is skilled enough to match China White in combat and keep up with Oliver during their sparring sessions. John was also able to hold his own against the highly skilled Malcolm Merlyn, though he was supported by Oliver. However, he lost his fight against Deadshot, partially because Deadshot pulled two pistols on him. He has been increasing his skill in fighting as he regulary trains with Oliver.
- Exceptional physical condition: John engages regularly in intense exercises and spars with Oliver during his spare time.
- Weapons proficiency: John can handle most type of firearms, having been trained in the army. He is proficient enough in handling small caliber to high caliber firearms such as a grenade launcher. He is also capable of handling Oliver's bow, although not being as effective and efficient.
- Expert military operator: John is well-versed in intelligence gathering, decoding ciphers and other coded messages, infiltration, and espionage.
- Multilingualism: Based on what has been currently shown, John is capable of speaking English, and Arabic fluently.
- Gun: John 's primary weapon is a gun, wielding it with great effectiveness. He is also shown to be skilled with other firearms.
- Knife: Along with his sidearm, John also carries a small flick knife into combat.
- His surname Diggle is likely named after Andy Diggle, the author of Green Arrow: Year One, upon which Arrow's first season is largely based, as is his brother who bears the exact name.
- He is former Army Special Forces, which is probably where he received his extensive hand-to-hand combat skills.
- John Diggle is the first person to discover Oliver Queen's secret identity, Arrow. He discovered this in "Lone Gunmen".
- It was revealed in "Dead to Rights" that he knows how to speak Arabic.
- In "Home Invasion", he left the team because Oliver was not there to help in his fight against Deadshot, but he returned in "The Undertaking".
- David Ramsey is an accomplished martial artist in real life, practicing Jeet Kune Do for at least 15 years.
- John Diggle was later adapted to the mainstream Green Arrow comics starting with Issue 24 of the current series. Previously he only appeared in the Arrow comic books that are based off the TV series.
- So far, John has masquaraded as the vigilante on 2 occasions; the first time in "Damaged " when he stopped a weapons sale while Oliver was under house arrest. This ultimately cleared Oliver of any suspicions that he is the vigilante by the public. The second time was in the penultimate episode, "Darkness on the Edge of Town ", where John, under the guise of Arrow, kidnapped Oliver and Moira and threatened to hurt Oliver until Moira revealed Malcom Merlyn's plans to level the Glades.