- "I deserve the Firestorm Matrix!"
- —Henry Hewitt on his goal[src]
Dr. Henry Hewitt, nicknamed Tokamak by Caitlin Snow, is a meta-human who was affected by the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion and gained the ability to absorb and generate fire-like energy, thus having similar abilities to Firestorm. His powers didn't surface, however, until an unsuccessful attempt by Team Flash to fuse him with a dying Martin Stein through the use of Firestorm Matrix. Following said attempt, Henry turned into a raging, vindictive meta-human with the ability to absorb and generate deadly energy.
Henry graduated Summa Cum Laude from Hudson University, holding a double major in Applied Physics and Biological Engineering.
He also had a criminal record for one count of battery and two counts of aggravated assault which led to a court order for anger management therapy.
Firestorm Candidacy and Revenge
While the pair seemed like a perfect match due to their backgrounds as scientists, they failed to converge twice.
Henry was irked and disappointed, berating Caitlin for getting his hopes up over nothing.
Back at his science lab, his superior grilled him over his tardiness and work ethic, causing Henry to erupt into a tirade and his body covered in the same red aura as his hand when he departed S.T.A.R. Labs.
Though glad to have power he was still angry with Caitlin because he couldn't be Firestorm, Henry attacked Caitlin while she was talking to Jefferson Jackson (the other candidate for Martin) in an attempt to kill her for what she did to him.
Henry later absorbed the energy from the lights of the football stadium at Jackson's alma mater as The Flash and a newly formed Firestorm teamed together to defeat him, while initially finding it tough as Henry became stronger the more enraged he became.
The two managed to overload his power by taunting him and increasing his anger, stopping him. Henry was kept in the S.T.A.R. Labs Pipeline until he calmed down and agreed to keep quiet about everything he'd seen and been through.
At first, Henry came off as a well-meaning young man, apart from being particularly confident about his "destiny" to aspire to greater things, but as soon as things didn't follow his expectations he quickly shows his true colors; hot-headed and temperamental.
Henry's anger causes him to lash out at people, threatening and later assaulting people who have annoyed and disappointed him, his anger being derived from his bloated ego.
As Cisco pointed it out, Henry had an immense ego, something the latter would demonstrate by berating and threatening his own boss for scrutinizing him, or towards Caitlin Snow for getting his hopes up of becoming the new half of the Firestorm entity.
True to his ego, Henry felt entitled and openly slandered Jefferson Jackson for replacing him, believing and saying out loud that he deserved the Firestorm Matrix.
It appeared that Henry's anger issues were greatly amplified after his powers have resurfaced, fueling him with rage and energy. A confident, if boastful, man before the mutation, his meta-human side brought out the worst of his character.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Henry was struck by the energy of the Particle Accelerator explosion, this altered his DNA and supercharged his cells, augmenting his physiology into beyond peak human condition.
- Energy absorption: Henry can absorb nearby energy and is shown absorbing energy from the lights of a football stadium before his fight with the Flash and Firestorm.
- Energy generation: Henry can generate the energy he absorbs and release it as powerful blasts from his hands as seen when he fought the Flash and Firestorm.
- High-level intellect/Expert scientist: Henry is very intelligent. He is also one of the best scientists in Central City.
- Rage: Although Henry's rage makes his abilities more powerful, if he becomes too angry however; it will overload him and render him unconscious.
Behind the scenes
- In physics, a tokamak is a device used to regulate and contain plasma in the shape of a torus (a circular pattern) with the use of a magnetic field.
- In the DC comics, Tokamak is the supervillain identity of Henry Hewitt, a man who tries recreating the accident which created Firestorm, in the process gaining the power to trap objects into an energy ring, hence the name "Tokamak".