- "Research laboratories unconnected to the government, unconnected to any business interests or any of that kind of stuff. And then we build right downtown in the heart of the city, in the epicenter, and we become the heart of the city. We become the heart of the nation. We change the way you think about the sciences, and then..."
- —Dr. Harrison Wells to Tess Morgan on his ultimate dream[src]
Harrison originally lived in Starling City and became a well respected yet eccentric scientist. He was good friends with equally devoted scientists Tina McGee and fell in love with Tess Morgan whom he eventually married. In 2000, Harrison had an idea for a laboratory and discussed this concept with Tess while on a date at the beach, which made her smile and even developed the name.
Harrison and Tess would apparently go on to build S.T.A.R. Labs in Starling City and successfully unleashed the particle accelerator in 2020 which changed the course of history. Among those affected included Barry Allen as the famous superhero known as The Flash, and whose legacy would inspire Eobard Thawne in the 22nd century to replicate these powers as the Reverse-Flash.
In 2000, while driving home after their date on the beach, Harrison unknowingly drove into spike strips set by Eobard, causing an accident which totaled their vehicle, killed Tess instantly, and injured Harrison. In shock, Harrison is pulled from the car and told of his apparent future success by Eobard. Claiming a need to do these actions much sooner, Eobard used a futuristic device, completely dissolving Harrison into a decayed, featureless corpse in a matter of seconds as his murderer took on his likeness. Afterward, Eobard buried Harrison's body nearby and pretended to crawl out from the wrecked vehicle as first responders arrived, with Eobard identifying himself as Wells.
With everyone remained unaware of Harrison's death, Eobard would pose as the man for fifteen years with Harrison's reputation and later legacy suffered greatly thanks to Eobard's various actions.
Unknown to Eobard, Tina somehow knew that something wasn't right after Tess's death as Harrison and Tina were good friends.
In 2015, Joe West and Cisco Ramon went to Starling City to research, discovering the real Harrison's corpse. Joe kept this a secret for Iris West's safety to remain silent about the truth, however, the discovery is shared with Caitlin Snow and Barry with Harrison's corpse in Central City.
When Team Flash initially met Harry Wells, Cisco and Joe unfortunately compared Harry to Eobard while Caitlin remembered Harry is the real Harrison's Earth-Two counterpart. Harry later suspected encountering the Reverse-Flash's first time-travel to 2016 is what will eventually lead to his Earth One doppelgänger's murder.
In 2017, Eobard decided to use Harrison's likeness again when joining the Nazis of Earth-X, for "old times' sake" with Barry, thinking of Harrison's face as "handsome".
Unlike his murderer/impersonator Eobard Thawne and cynical Earth Two counterpart Harry Wells, Harrison was a very kind and humble man with a cheerful nature similar to his Earth Nineteen counterpart H.R. Wells. A naïve scientist and loving husband, he showed and spoke of his dreams for the future while also being romantic to Tess Morgan. To which, he wanted S.T.A.R. Labs to be named after his wife. Harrison was clearly very much in love with Tess; he expressed only concern for Tess and none for himself after Eobard's crash.
- Genius-level intellect/Business acumen: Harrison was a famous scientist who (in one timeline) successfully opened and operated his own scientific company, possibly similar to his various doppelgängers.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Harrison has eleven known doppelgängers, making him the character with the most known doppelgängers.
- Harrison was one of three individuals who have an encounter with Eobard Thawne involving identity theft. The other two are Martin Stein and John Swigert.
- Like Eddie Thawne, Harrison's fate is largely unknown during Flashpoint's events but it can be presumed that he and Tess Morgan were still alive since Eobard was prevented from committing the murder. But for reasons unclear, S.T.A.R. Labs' site by 2016 is Cisco Ramon's Ramon Industries. Based on Harrison's conversation with his wife back in 2000, S.T.A.R. Labs may have been established in Starling City instead of Central City.
Behind the scenes
- Harrison Wells does not originate from the DC comics, as he is an original character specifically created for the show. However, there has been another character, only known as "Dr. Wells", who briefly appeared in the tie-in DC comic book of the 1990s The Flash TV series titled, Flash TV Special #1 (January, 1991).
- Harrison's overall characterization resembles Garrison Slate, the creator of S.T.A.R. Labs. Both wanted a government-free network of laboratories.
|Other Versions of Harrison Wells (Earth One)|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth Name below for that earth's counterpart of Harrison Wells.|
|Earth: One• Two• Twelve• Thirteen• Seventeen• Nineteen• Twenty-Two• Twenty-Four• Twenty-Five• Twenty-Seven• Forty-Seven• Eobard Thawne • Harrison Wells (Francophone) • Hells Wells|