- For other characters of the same name, see Harrison Wells.
- "Research laboratories unconnected to the government, unconnected to any business interests or any of that kind of stuff. And then we build right downtown in the heart of the city, in the epicenter, and we become the heart of the city. We become the heart of the nation. We change the way you think about the sciences, and then..."
- —Dr. Harrison Wells to Tess Morgan on his ultimate dream[src]
Harrison originally lived in Starling City and became a well respected yet eccentric scientist. He was good friends with equally devoted scientists Tina McGee and fell in love with Tess Morgan whom he eventually married. In 2000, Harrison had an idea for a laboratory and discussed this concept with Tess while on a date at the beach, which made her smile and even developed the name.
Harrison and Tess would go on to build S.T.A.R. Labs in Starling City and successfully unleashed the particle accelerator in 2020 which changed the course of history. Among those affected included Barry Allen who became the famous superhero The Flash, and whose legacy would inspire Eobard Thawne in the 22nd century to replicate these powers into becoming Reverse-Flash.
In 2000, while driving home after their date on the beach, Harrison unknowingly drove into spike strips set by Eobard, causing an accident which totaled their vehicle, killed Tess instantly, and injured Harrison. In shock, Harrison is pulled from the car and told of his apparent future success by Eobard in creating a particle accelerator. Claiming a need to do it much sooner, Eobard used a futuristic device, completely dissolving Harrison into a decayed, featureless corpse in a matter of seconds as his murderer took on his likeness. Afterward, Eobard buried Harrison's body nearby and pretended to crawl out from the wrecked vehicle as first responders arrived, telling them his name was Harrison Wells.
Joe and Cisco went to Starling City to research about "Harrison Wells". They asked Quentin Lance to help them. They discovered the corpse of the real Harrison Wells and discovered Thawne somehow stole his appearance. Joe knew Quentin was upset with his daughter Laurel, but knew he would not want her slaughtered or otherwise harmed by Thawne. Therefore Joe asked Quentin to remain silent about the truth about Wells for now.
Eobard would pose as Harrison Wells for fifteen years while everyone remained unaware of Harrison's death (although Tina somehow knew that something wasn't right after Tess' death) with Harrison's reputation having suffered greatly thanks to Eobard's various actions. Harrison's body was finally discovered in mid-2015 near the crash site in Starling City during Team Flash's investigation. With his corpse now in Central City, the man in question was confirmed to be Harrison.
After the defeat of Reverse-Flash, Barry finds out that Eobard (who was still posing as Harrison Wells) left him a video of him passing on Harrison's will and a testament to him. He also confessed to the murder of Nora Allen. While Barry now inherited S.T.A.R Labs, this unfortunately ruined the real Harrison Wells' reputation and legacy.
Tina McGee was scared when he saw his Earth-2 counterpart infiltrating on her laboratory. When she revealed she knew Barry was The Flash all along, Tina asked them if Harrison had something to do with the destruction of her laboratory until Earth-2 Wells revealed that he was not and explained everything to her.
Eobard Thawne decided to use his likeness again when he joined the Earth-X Nazis because he wanted to remember old times and because Harrison Wells was "handsome".
Unlike his murderer/impersonator Eobard Thawne and cynical Earth Two counterpart Harry Wells, Harrison was a very kind and humble man with a cheerful nature similar to his Earth Nineteen counterpart H.R. Wells. A naïve scientist and loving husband, he showed and spoke of his dreams for the future while also being romantic to Tess Morgan. To which, he wanted S.T.A.R. Labs to be named after his wife. Harrison was clearly very much in love with Tess; he expressed only concern for Tess and none for himself after Eobard's crash.
- Genius-level intellect/Business acumen: Harrison was a famous scientist who (in one timeline) successfully opened and operated his own scientific company, possibly similar to Eobard Thawne and his various doppelgängers.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Harrison has nine known doppelgängers, making him the character with the most known doppelgängers.
- Harrison was one of three individuals who have an encounter with Eobard Thawne involving identity theft. The other two are Martin Stein and John Swigert.
- Like Eddie Thawne, Harrison's fate is largely unknown during Flashpoint's events but it can be presumed that he and Tess Morgan were still alive since Eobard was prevented from committing the murder. But for reasons unclear, S.T.A.R. Labs' site by 2016 is Cisco Ramon's Ramon Industries. Based on Harrison's conversation with his wife back in 2000, S.T.A.R. Labs may have been established in Starling City instead of Central City.
Behind the scenes
- Harrison Wells does not originate from the DC comics, as he is an original character specifically created for the show. However, there has been another character, only known as "Dr. Wells", who briefly appeared in the tie-in DC comic book of the 1990s The Flash TV series titled, Flash TV Special #1 (January, 1991).
- Harrison's overall characterization resembles Garrison Slate, the creator of S.T.A.R. Labs. Both wanted a government-free network of laboratories.