- For other characters of the same name, see Harrison Wells.
Harrison "H.R." Wells (died May 23, 2017) was the former face of S.T.A.R. Labs on Earth Nineteen. However, he eventually was exposed for being a fraud of a scientist, and everything fell apart for him on his Earth. When his partner solved the cryptogram sent by Team Flash, H.R. was given an opportunity to come to Earth One to write a novel on his adventures. To disguise himself on Earth One, H.R. took on his partner's likeness and dubbed himself "H.R. Randolf". He was killed by Savitar to prevent the insane speedster's terrible future from being real.
Early life and time on Earth Nineteen
Harrison is the former face of S.T.A.R. Labs on Earth Nineteen, which he led as a charismatic leader, before being defamed as a fraud of a scientist, unable to work with basic computers. However, despite that, H.R. claimed to have had assisted the Flash of his Earth in tracking down meta-humans in "World War M", about which he wrote several best selling books.
At one point of time, Randolf Morgan, a partner of Wells, cracked the cryptogram sent out by Harry Wells, Cisco Ramon, and Caitlin Snow. Deciding to respond, H.R. sent his own hologram to Earth One to communicate with the cryptogram's senders. In his hologram audition, he expressed interest in helping the Earth One heroes fight crime and find meta-humans, trying to show off his good humor. His audition was rejected by Harry, but he ended up being selected anyway.
Coming to Earth One and helping Team Flash
When H.R. arrived on Earth One, he greeted Team Flash by saying "Greetings Earthlings", in a deep tone of voice, though he quickly assured the team he was joking. Wells then proceeded to call his Earth Two doppelgänger handsome. He was then introduced to Team Flash by his doppelgänger. After Harry and Jesse Quick returned to Earth Two, Wells jokingly questioned what his doppelgänger was about to say before returning to Earth Two. Wells proceeded to ask if Earth One had a Big Belly Burger.
While trying to track down a holographic monster, it was revealed that H.R. didn't have the scientific skills of his predecessors, being mostly an ideas man and the face of his company, rather than a genius scientist. Despite Cisco Ramon refusing to trust the new Wells, and Wally West calling him a conman, he tried to persuade Team Flash that he can be of some use to them, suggesting ideas for the team to develop, acting as their "muse", and taking part in the adventures so that he could later write a book about them. While most members of the team were disappointed, Barry allowed H.R. to stay for some time and try to prove his worth as a teammate, before going back to Earth Nineteen.
Looking over the history of Team Flash, H.R. told the team that sooner or later somebody would connect the dots regarding the use of the almost-abandoned S.T.A.R. Labs by the vigilante team assisting the Flash. To give S.T.A.R. Labs a cover, he proposed turning it into a museum, with him as its charismatic director. Deciding to go into town, H.R. was stopped by Cisco reminding him that Earth One is fearful of the evil Wells's murderous deeds, and he'd be shot on sight. Changing his plans, H.R. appeared in Randolf's likeness, showing his facial transmogrification device from Earth Nineteen to Cisco and Caitlin Snow. H.R. then joined Joe West, Cisco and Caitlin on a trip to the park cinema, on a viewing of The Shining, where he suddenly decided to flirt with Cecile Horton. The screening was cut short, as the meta-human criminal Shade appeared, attacking the citizens. Evacuating with Cisco and Caitlin, he stayed with them as Cisco hacked into the cars' computers, weakening Shade with the flashing lights.
After Wally West's meta-human powers were restored by the Philosopher's Stone, H.R. noticed how the West family tried to limit Wally's training, refusing to see the youth's potential. H.R. then offered Wally to become a mentor in the use of the Speed Force, managing to train Wally to achieve speeds greater than those of Barry's start as the Flash.
H.R. later continued to help Wally with the training, making it possible for Wally to achieve speeds much higher than Barry. When Wally revealed that the two were training to Joe West, he and H.R. were met with scorn. Nevertheless, H.R.'s argument to Joe in favor of Wally learning how to use his powers proved correct when Wallace used the Speed Force to help Wally combat Savitar. When Savitar gets channeled through Julian Albert, Savitar called H.R. the "fake Wells" while identifying members of Team Flash. H.R. later attended the Christmas party at West House, giving Barry and Iris a pet turtle. He enjoyed eggnog and teased Wally's nickname as "Kid Flash".
H.R. continuously supported Wally's endeavors, even deciding to wager for Wally as the winner of a race against Barry, despite gambling being outlawed in his universe.
He then was hunted by Gypsy for breaking the inter-dimensional rule in Earth Nineteen. Cisco, in order to protect H.R., challenged Gypsy to a trial by combat and won. Admitting defeat, Gypsy allowed H.R.'s freedom. As Gypsy prepared to leave back to Earth Nineteen, Gypsy asked that H.R. never return, as Gypsy would pretend he got killed, thus remaining unrivaled.
- "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why."
- —Mark Twain, HR's tombstone[src]
After unintentionally revealing Iris West's location, H.R. stricken by the guilt of letting Iris be captured, uses Savitar's severed metal claw to locate the speedster. He then released Iris from the chains being bound in. Before the two could escape, Savitar and Killer Frost noticed and H.R. had no choice but to use the facial transmogrification device to switch places with Iris. Before Savitar realized that H.R. had taken Iris's place, Savitar fatally stabbed him, altering the timeline and allowing Team Flash to erase Savitar from existence.
In the original timeline where Savitar succeeded in killing Iris, Barry pushed everybody away from S.T.A.R. Labs and HR subsequently closed the S.T.A.R. Labs Museum and moved on to "better things". At some point HR became a famous author on Earth One publishing many best sellers novels. He also bought CC Jitters and renamed it "HR Jitters".
In 2024 HR wrote a a best selling novel called "The Streak vs Mister Reflecto". During a reading at HR Jitters, where HR was also secretly trying to seduce 3 women, he was kidnapped by a younger version of Barry from 2017 before Iris' death along with Joe, Julian and Cisco. 2017 Barry apologized for how things turned but convinced them to help him stop Mirror Master and Top, and the team happily reunited as HR was also reunited with his drum sticks. After 2017 Barry and 2024 Barry defeated the criminals together 2024 Barry apologized for pushing them away and asked them to give him a chance to make things right which they all agreed on. HR then happily proposed they have drinks at Jitters to celebrate Team Flash's reunion.
Unlike his other known counterparts, H.R. was shown to have a more humble, with a more laid back yet upbeat demeanor. Friendly and eager to try new experiences, he jumped at the chance to travel to a new universe and help in crime-fighting; though he knew Earth Nineteen would send a collector after him eventually. He had a strong sense of humor, having his entrance to Earth One as a set up for a joke. Even Caitlin noted "Wells with a sense of humor, that's new". Being the face of S.T.A.R. Labs on Earth Nineteen, he had acquired qualities of a charismatic leader. A team player, he quickly shown when joining Team Flash a desire to connect with everyone, have learned all he could about his allies, brewed coffee to everyone's personal taste, and even suggested a "corporate bonding" game. H.R.'s adventurous side, along with his proclaimed helping with his Earth's Flash, also showed itself in his hobby of writing books. After being found out by Team Flash, H.R. still tried to keep the jokey demeanor and sell his "idea person" act to his teammates.
Like Harry Wells, H.R. was not without his own feelings of guilt. Hating having spent much of his life as a charlatan and being praised for false accomplishments, he wants to start fresh on Earth One, proving that he can still contribute to something great despite not being a genius like his other known doppelgängers. At the same time, he appear to want to emulate them more, as he has been trying to learn more about science and listens to stories from the team about what great accomplishments they performed. H.R. knows about Cisco's past bond with Eobard Thawne. As noted in his recording, H.R. hopes he can help Cisco recover from the pain of Eobard's betrayal. When Barry Allen and Cisco rummaged through his personal belongings, trying to vibe who he really is, Wells dropped the cheerful act, addressing Cisco in an emotionless, almost-threatening voice, eerily similar to that of Thawne. He's also shown to be a ladies man as he told Caitlin Snow that he was single when he first met Caitlin and was able to seduce Cecile Horton with his sense of humor.
H.R. also had a desire to help people realize their true potential, as upon seeing Wally West's natural talent with his newfound speed and strong desire to help people with it, H.R. decided to helped train Wally and develop the youth's powers.  H.R. was shown to be a big celebrator of Christmas, a holiday also celebrated on Earth Nineteen. He was shown to have actually decorated the cortex of S.T.A.R. Labs, and even put on an ugly sweater. When everyone was down about their recent fight with Savitar, H.R. reminded them it was the holidays and actually got them to celebrate.
Despite the bravado personality, H.R had a extremely brave side. This could have added on to the guilt of his actions during his life. H.R was brave enough to sacrifice his own life to break Savitar's time loop and to save Iris West.
- Agility: Like his Earth-Two counterpart, H.R. could do a dolphin dive, albeit less skillfully and gracefully than Harry.
- Keen intellect: Although lacking the breadth of scientific knowledge possessed by his other doppelgängers, H.R. had excellent insight into the motives and actions of others and a creative intellect. H.R. Wells describes himself as an "ideas man", providing creative solutions to problems at hand. Although lacking the ability to execute his ideas himself, his insight and approach to conflict prove useful to the team. As a best-selling author, he is very articulate. H.R. is also shown to be a very thorough man, as upon joining Team Flash, has studied all the files of criminals the Flash has encountered on Earth One. Despite his original lack of scientific skills, he has since been improving, able to create an accurate hologram of Cisco Ramon, although it did glitch out, shouting at random intervals.
- Skilled leader/Great business acumen/Charisma: While not a scientist, H.R. was an effective corporate leader, having been the CEO of S.T.A.R. Labs for years. At the same time, having been the face of a large corporation, H.R. was very charismatic, able to design a thought-out business plan. Even after being exposed as a phoney scientist, H.R. proved his skills to Team Flash, effectively keeping the team well-organized.
- Skilled trainer: H.R. trained Wally, who has now become significantly faster than Barry initially was.
- Drumsticks: H.R. brought a pair of drumming sticks with him, as he constantly uses a stick akin to a magic wand, punctuating his words or playing with it..
- Earth Nineteen currency: When H.R. relocated to Earth One, he brought with him a handful of coins that served as currency on his Earth. Among these coins was at least one Helbing. A $100 banknote featured the portrait of Abe Lincoln.
- Facial transmogrification device: H.R. used a special holographic device to make his face appear identical to that of his partner, Randolf Morgan, hiding his true identity. The device also emits a flash that allows those nearby to see the user's original face if the user wants.
- Recording device: Using this device, H.R. Wells makes entries regarding his interactions with Team Flash, for the sake of his upcoming novel The Tales of H.R. Wells.
- Unlike Harry being forced to stay in S.T.A.R. Labs by the public, H.R. has a facial transmogrification device to disguise himself when in public to avoid being mistaken for Eobard. However, the alternative 2024 shows he that has a book published with his face on it. This could mean that he either passed himself off as a relative, or clone, to the public.
- According to H.R. himself, he doesn't have any kids of his own, making Harry the only doppelgänger of Harrison Wells known to be a father so far.
- Despite initially being scolded for lying about being a genius, H.R. is actually better liked than his other doppelgängers due to his warm and friendly joker side.
- Due to Gypsy lying that he's dead to the authorities back on Earth Nineteen, H.R. was stuck living on Earth One. With his death in "Finish Line", this is now true.
- When meeting Savitar, H.R. is referred to as the "fake Wells" and later on as "the pretender" by Savitar. It's possible Savitar calls him these names in bitter resentment due to him not being any help with science.
- H.R. has a habit of giving characters nicknames or addressing them by full name, calling Barry Allen "BA", Cisco "San Francisco", Wally "Walter" and "Wallace", and Julian "Julius" and "James" (referencing his British accent). When talking to Cisco and Caitlin at the Christmas party he drunkenly gave them the pair name "Cailo".
- Perhaps due to his hobby in writing books, H.R. is fascinated by soap operas.
- One of his favorite foods is lime Jell-O.
- It's suggested HR might be into S&M, as when accused of stealing the Power-dampening cuffs (which he didn't; Caitlin took them), HR retorted "I haven't met anyone yet; it's gonna take a while, even when I do meet them, to get to the cuff stage.").
- He is the second version of Harrison Wells to die after his Earth One doppelganger not including Eobard. However he is the first version of Harrison Wells that is a main character who has died.
Behind the scenes
- His nickname "H.R. Wells" is a nod to famous fiction writer H. G. Wells, as well as the fact that he is an author.
- H.R. Wells shares some similarities with the DC Comics character Abra Kadabra, using a drumming stick as if it was a magic wand (even replicating Abra's signature bowing pose in "Killer Frost") and putting a grandiose presentation before Team Flash when arriving to Earth One, all the while hiding his true intentions. Also, in the "Trial of the Flash" comic arc, Abra Kadabra used his futuristic technology to impersonate Eobard Thawne, whom Tom Cavanagh has also portrayed on The Flash; similarly, H.R. used futuristic technology to appear in the guise of Randolf Morgan. Additionally, Joe West noticed that H.R. has a "psychotic need to make other people like him no matter what", which is very reminiscent of Abra Kadabra's constant thirst for approval, applause and adoration. Notably, H.R.'s main target for fishing out approval ended up Wally West, whom Abra Kadabra is obsessed about as the greatest Flash, whose defeat would earn Abra unimaginable fame.
List Of Individuals He Nicknamed
- An unnamed man as "Shade"
- Cisco Ramon as "San Francisco"
- Himself as "H.R. Randolf"
- Barry Allen as "BA"
- Wally West as "Walter" (used only once)
- Julian Albert as "Julius" and "James"
- Caitlin Snow and Cisco Ramon as "Cailo"
- Jared Morillo as "Plunder"
- Harry Wells as "Hard Hat"