Garfield Lynns (died January 2013) was a former firefighter who was presumed deceased in 2009, being thought to have died on duty. However, he survived and became obsessed with revenge, targeting and murdering members of his old team, who dubbed themselves The Fireflies. During an attempt at killing fire chief Raynes at Oliver Queen's night club, Oliver intervened as The Hood, preventing the murder. When Oliver suggested getting him help as opposed to killing him, Lynns refused the offer and committed suicide by stepping into the nearby fire of the burning night club.
Nodell Towers incident
In 2009, Lynns was burnt severely after the fire chief ordered his unit, The Fireflies, to flee the burning Nodell Towers, where he insisted on staying and saving it. He survived the collapse, was pulled out of the rubble and spent a month in a burn ward as a John Doe. When he woke up, he felt betrayed that his former teammates left him behind, which led to him becoming a vengeful recluse, eventually causing his wife and kids to leave him.
Targeting his old squad
He began to target members of his old squad. While Danny de la Vega was in a burning building, Garfield sprayed gasoline over him and burned him alive. During the next fire he knocked another member of the team into the flames. The hooded vigilante showed up and the two started to fight. Garfield quickly defeated The Hood, as he managed to trip him to the floor and incapacitated him with a kick after which he escaped. He later confronted the entire team, led by an another ex-Firefly, fire chief Raynes, at the night club and set the place on fire. The Hood stopped him and offered to help him instead of killing him. Garfield thanked him but then committed suicide by setting himself on fire.
- Incendiary/Inflammable techniques: Lynns seemed to have a practical knowledge of incendiary techniques.
- Hand-to-hand combat: Lynns was skilled at close combat and used his fireaxe as a weapon. Despite his heavy equipment, he was able to defeat a troubled Oliver Queen and almost killed him with a firebomb.
Behind the scenes
- In DC Comics, Garfield Lynns, a former special effects expert, is the super villain known as Firefly, as referenced in Arrow with he and his squadron, named The Fireflies, bearing firefly tattoos. In 2013 Lynns' origin was retconned in the Prime Earth as Ted Carson becoming the Firefly and Lynns was a innocent civilian pinned for his crimes, more in keeping with Arrow's tragic origin story.
- Interestingly, the Arrow version of Garfield Lynns is skilled at close combat, while the DC Comics version relies heavily on his flamethrower and jetpack in a fight.
- In the comics, he is a recurring enemy of the superhero Batman.