- "Now that the Spear is whole it will try to lure each of us to use it. It will draw on our weaknesses, our desires, our regrets. It will promise each of us that we can re-make the world just as we want it."
- "What's wrong with that? What? Come on, you're all thinking it."
- —Rip Hunter and Mick Rory
The Legends must devise a plan to retrieve the last remaining fragments of the Spear of Destiny from the Legion of Doom. They find themselves in France at the height of World War I faced with the knowledge that they must destroy the mystical object. They enlist the help of a soldier by the name of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien and find that the Spear is leading them into the heart of the war. Meanwhile, the team must all resist the temptation of the Spear, and the return of a former teammate.
Preparation ran from January 11 until January 19, 2017. Shooting ran from January 20 until January 31, 2017.
- There are several references to The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien and its various adaptations in this episode.
- The title is a reference to the novel, the first of which is titled The Fellowship of the Ring.
- J.R.R. Tolkien appears, future author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, a fact which is mentioned.
- Nate's amusement at Tolkien enjoying long stories is a reference to The Lord of the Rings, which in real life was initially written as one story, but Tolkien's publishers believed it to be too long, so they had him split it in to three parts to be published.
- Nate refers to his friends as a "fellowship", referencing the Fellowship of the Ring from The Lord of the Rings.
- When requesting a ceasefire, Rip closely quotes a speech given by Aragorn to his men in the film adaptation of Tolkien's The Return of the King.
- While discussing their plans, Martin says "One cannot simply walk into the middle of a war zone", a reference to Boromir's infamous "One does not simply walk into Mordor" quote from The Fellowship of the Ring film adaptation.
- When talking about the Spear with Nate, Tolkein describes the appearance of the inscription on it as "a secret only fire can tell", a reference to how the One Ring would glow with the Black Speech when heated.
- The fact the message Natum De Sangine Perditas A Sangine appeared on the spear when it was exposed to the Heat Gun's flame may be a reference to the Elvish script that appears upon the One Ring when it's made hot.
- Similarly, the fact that this Latin phase's translation means Born of Blood, Undone by Blood (meaning that Christ's blood gave the spear its power, and is also the only thing that can destroy the spear) may be a reference to the fact that, just as the One Ring was forged in Mount Doom, Mount Doom's fires are the only thing capable of destroying the One Ring.
- Sara refers to Nate, Mick, Ray and Rip as the "Backstreet Boys".
- After using a terrible Cockney accent, Nate mentions having played Bert in his school's production of Mary Poppins.
- John Barrowman appears in all Arrowverse shows (aside from Supergirl) airing the week of March 20, 2017, including this one, having played Cutter Moran on The Flash, and Malcolm Merlyn on Arrow
- ↑ Legends of Tomorrow Spoilers: “Fellowship of the Spear” Description - DCLegendsTV
- ↑ Marc Guggenheim (@mguggenheim) - Twitter
|DC's Legends of Tomorrow season 2|
|"Out of Time" • "The Justice Society of America" • "Shogun" • "Abominations" • "Compromised" •"Outlaw Country" • "Invasion!" • "The Chicago Way" • "Raiders of the Lost Art" • "The Legion of Doom" • "Turncoat" • "Camelot/3000" • "Land of the Lost" • "Moonshot" • "Fellowship of the Spear" • "Doomworld" • "Aruba"|