- For her alternate personality, see Trajectory (Eliza Harmon).
- For the episode of the same name, see Trajectory.
Eliza Harmon (died March 2016), self-nicknamed Trajectory, was a scientist of Mercury Labs who gained the ability of super speed by reverse-engineering the Velocity 9 formula initially created by Caitlin Snow and Harrison Wells.
Scientist at Mercury Labs
Eliza was a scientist at Mercury Labs, where she worked alongside Caitlin Snow until the latter left. Later, Caitlin had trouble reformatting the extra-cellular matrix for Velocity 9, so she called Eliza for assistance, only giving her a limited number of components so as to not reveal what she was working on. Eliza helped to properly sort out the formula. Eventually, she discovered the true nature of the formula and in desperation to speed up progress in her research, Eliza reverse-engineered it into a unique version for her own use.
Antics as Trajectory
Several weeks later, having started to suffer from dissociative identity disorder due to frequent Velocity 9 use, Eliza would often argue with her second personality, who called herself Trajectory. Soon, Eliza created a suit to for her amoral alter-ego and began committing various forms of crime ranging from petty theft to property damage. Eventually, her acts escalated to robbing everyone within a 10-mile radius of a nightclub.
Eliza was approached by Caitlin and detective Joe West and questioned for any information on the Velocity 9. Eliza was happy to see Caitlin and claimed to have destroyed the original serum they worked on. Not long after, Trajectory convinced Eliza they needed more V-9. She broke in to S.T.A.R. Labs, imprisoning The Flash in the pipeline and knocking out Joe. Using Joe's gun, Eliza demanded that Caitlin and Harrison Wells make her some more Velocity 9. When they protested that the formula was dangerous and could kill her, she threatened Jesse's life, forcing them to agree. After being given some new, pure V-9, Eliza gave Jesse a dose to make sure that it wasn't laced with sedatives. Satisfied, she left as Team Flash immediately attended to Jesse.
With the extra serum, she began running back and forth across a bridge, causing it to crumble. The Flash arrived and was able get the civilians on the bridge to safety, despite Eliza's attempts to stop him. He was able to jump across the gap, tackling her to the ground. As Eliza was able to take another dose of V-9, The Flash pleaded with her to see reason, understanding how it felt to want to get better and be perfect, no mater the costs. Eliza briefly hesitated, but ultimately ignored him injected herself with more pure Velocity 9. Dusting herself off and gloating that not even The Flash could ever catch up to her, she began running. However, since Eliza's cells had degenerated too much, her lightning turned blue and she dissolved into nothing while screaming, leaving only her suit, which was then recovered by Team Flash.
While originally a very kind and friendly person willing to help others, Eliza was also an insecure perfectionist and the high expectations of her employers at Mercury Labs not making her work life in any way easier. Growing desperate to make progress in her work led her to use Velocity 9, which ultimately resulted in her developing a split personality. Her second personality, Trajectory, is a thrill-seeking psychopath who cares for nobody's well-being and proving herself the best. Trajectory also continually manipulated Eliza into giving into her urge to dose herself with Velocity and most often succeeded. Her amoral and selfish nature made her willing to put others in danger for her own gain, holding people at gun point, injecting Jesse with a fatal dose of Velocity, or tried to collapse a bridge with people still on it, all for her twisted sense of fun.
Powers and abilities
- Velocity-9 enhancement: After injecting herself with Velocity-9, Eliza gained the powers of a speedster, with the exception of access to the speed force.
- Electrokinesis: Like all speedsters, Eliza was able to generate electricity from her body, which was yellow in color. She was able to interfere with the surrounding electronics like Eobard Thawne could as seen when she came into S.T.A.R. Labs, the lights in the office turned off. After she took an overdose of Velocity 9, it turned her electricity blue.
- Accelerated perception: Eliza's speed also extends to her senses and mental capacities, able to take in information and process it just as fast. This allowed Eliza to see the world as if it is in slow motion, which combined with her physical speed lets her think, perform actions, and react to events, long before a normal human around him could even perceive them.
- Superhuman agility: Eliza was incredibly agile, able to change direction immediately. Allowing her to make sharp turns on city streets while moving at super speed, without sliding or losing her balance.
- Superhuman durability: Eliza was able to recover from attacks and exertion much quicker than normal humans.
- Superhuman momentum: Through Eliza's ability to accelerate her movements, she can generate extreme momentum and physical force, allowing her to overpower regular humans with little to no effort, as evidenced by the fact that she threw Joe West and the Flash several feet. By running back and forth on a bridge with great intensity, she induced a tremor with enough jolt and friction that nearly caused it to collapse.
- Superhuman reflexes: Eliza's increased speed also augments her reaction time, allowing her to react to danger and events far faster than a normal human.
- Superhuman speed: Eliza's mobility becomes able to run at speeds up to between Mach 2.2 and 3.3. This allowed her to initially move much faster than the Flash, able to easily outpace him, plow over him, and even run Barry into a holding chamber before the heroic speedster could realize it. After Barry was able to exceed his previous limits and overwhelm Eliza, she took an excessive dose of Velocity 9, tremendously increasing her speed.
- Seismokinesis: Eliza can create tremors if she can run with the right momentum. These tremors were powerful enough to bring a whole bridge down.
- Superhuman stamina: Eliza's body can handle the stresses of superhuman racing without noticeable distress, and her body's enhanced stamina allows her to function much longer than a normal human without getting tired or weak.
- Genius-level intellect/Master Scientist: Eliza was an exceptionally bright scientist, able to reproduce the Velocity 9 formula and reverse-engineer it so it could give a non-speedster the abilities of a legitimate one. She accomplished this even though Caitlin Snow only gave her 3 of the 8 components of V-9.
- Velocity 9: Velocity 9 periodically does give Eliza the power of super speed, but as she uses it too many times, it brought her some undesirable side-effects.
- Cellular deterioration: As Eliza used the formula too many times, the cells of her body began to quickly degenerate as she didn't have a natural connection to the Speed Force outside of the speed-enhancing drug, ultimately causing her body to dissolve into nothing.
- Dissociative identity disorder: The side effects of V-9 psychologically split Eliza's personality and separated her mind in two: herself and her alter ego Trajectory, who was hungry for entertainment and power.
- Power limitation: Eliza needed to frequently inject herself with doses of Velocity-9, otherwise her powers would only be temporary.
- Trajectory suit: Eliza wore a suit as her supervillainess alter-ego, Trajectory, to hide her identity from her victims. It is unknown what materials it is made out of.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
The Chronicles of Cisco
- The suit she wears as Trajectory was later used by Jesse Wells.
- Eliza is the first female speedster to appear in the shared multiverse, followed by Jesse Wells.
- Eliza appeared in only one episode, making her the speedster with the shortest run of appearances in the Arrowverse; Edward Clariss technically appeared in two episodes, but one primary focused on his alternate universe counterpart, with the result that two versions of him appeared once each.
- Eliza is one of the few individuals to become a meta-human without the use of a particle accelerator on either Earth One or Earth Two, the others being Valentina Vostok and Jake Simmons. However it's unknown how Jay Garrick gained his superpowers, making him a possible fourth, and the Flashpoint versions of Wally West and Edward Clariss the fifth and sixth. Additionally, it was revealed that Vandal Savage as well as Chay-Ara and Khufu received their powers of longevity and reincarnation/regeneration not due to magic, but rather due to being mutated after exposure to the Thanagarian meteor, which was actually a piece of futuristic technology, ahead of anything humanity created on Earth.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Eliza Harmon instead of being a supervillain is the superhero known as Trajectory, and a big fan of the Flash since she was saved by Impulse as a child. She got her power by the Everyman Project created by Lex Luthor, the same project that gave Hannibal Bates his shapeshifting's powers. Eliza's actions as a speedster were restricted by the need to take a drug called Sharp to slow down her speed back to normal. She was eventually killed when Luthor used his remote control of the artificial superhuman gene to deactivate her powers during a fight with Blockbuster, giving his team a martyr and eliminating the rebellious element Eliza represented.