- "Together, we are going to take over The Glades."
- —Brick speaking to the freed inmates of his plan.[src]
Daniel "Danny" Brickwell, better known by his street name Brick, is a criminal mobster with a plan to conquer The Glades, however, his plan to take over the Glades had failed when he was defeated by Malcolm Merlyn. He was then sent to prison. He is also the person who killed Rebecca Merlyn for his initiation into a gang and because she was begging for her life.
Early life Edit
When Danny was a street-thief his first victim was Rebecca Merlyn, whom he killed simply because she begged for her life. Danny then became a highly feared criminal mobster using the name "Brick" feared by many residents of Starling City, including Roy Harper.
Season 3 Edit
Seeking to take over The Glades Brick orchestrates the theft of evidence against criminals still awaiting trial to have them released from lack of evidence and to join his crew. When confronting one of his men who shot a cop stealing schematics of the evidence locker, Brick gives him a choice to shoot him (Brick) or be killed but Brick beats him to death anyway. Later Brick and his men storm the building to steal the evidence, despite resistance from Diggle and Arsenal and gets away. He also displays unknown means to survive a head-shot. All the criminals incarcerated based on the evidence he stole are released and Brick forces them into his gang, threatening to send it to the D.A. if they refuse, and informs them of his plan to seize the Glades. On Quentin Lance's orders a team was sent to arrest Brick and his men, but he put most of them in the hospital. Later Brick stormed a meeting of the city's most elite, Mayor Castle, 3 aldermen, Laurel Lance, Quentin, Ray Palmer and Felicity Smoak. Brick ordered the mayor and the aldermen brought with them but to kill the rest but his men only succeeded in taking the aldermen as everyone else fought back. Brick later contacted Mayor Castle and ordered a meeting between the two in person or else the alderman would die. Later Brick was transporting the aldermen to his hideout Arsenal and Canary attempted to stop him to be defeated and when Arsenal shot an arrow into Brick's arm, an enraged Brick shot one of the aldermen in front of them and dumped his body on the street. He later met with Mayor Castle, Quentin and Ray and ordered all police to leave the Glades or the other aldermen would die. Arsenal and Canary stormed Brick's hideout and freed the aldermen but when Canary confronted Brick again he still overpowered her, forcing her to run. Though he lost the aldermen, he later informed Mayor Castle that he had the addresses of every city official in the city, forcing her to order the evacuation of the Glades. 
With all the cops gone, Brick and his men quickly took control off the Glades. He made his men extort the people living in the Glades and made the abandonded police precinct as his headquarters. Learning that two of his men encountered Arsenal but got away he gives them his gun and says they have to kill him to survive. One guy goes for the gun however Brick grabs it first and shoots him. The power goes out and Brick quickly rallies his men, ordering them to shoot anything that moves. Canary and Arsenal take out some of his men but Brick goes for a shotgun and starts to shoot flares at them. Knocking them down he moves in with his gun to finish them off, but his hand is shot with an arrow by the Dark Archer and he flees.
He later leaves his headquarters as Canary and Arsenal approach him again. He rallies his goons and seemingly outnumbers them, but then their army, including Diggle, Sin and Wildcat, arrive. Brick orders his men to fight Team Arrow's army and also engages Wildcat who manages to hurt Brick, though he still comes out on-top. The Canary and Arsenal come to Wildcat's rescue, forcing Brick to run. When in an alley, however, he is confronted by the Dark Archer again who fights him, but Brick loses as Dark Archer subdues him and reveals his identity as Malcolm Merlyn, Rebecca's husband, who angrily points his gun at him and prepares to execute him. However, The Arrow shows up and tries to persuade Malcolm to spare him if he truly wants to make things right, and Malcolm ultimately agrees. Brick is then arrested and incarcerated.
Danny is a violent career criminal that desires nothing but power. He killed his first victim just because she begged for her life, which he considered a sign of weakness. He is an ambitious leader and is able to win people for his cause. In order to keep his men in line he uses brutal methods to show his power and make an example of them. When a man fails he gives him his gun and tells them they can try to kill him or he will kill them. He then proceeds to beat them to death with his bare hands, in front of his other men.
He is also cruel, sadistic and unstable as he seems to enjoy hurting and killing people. He seemed to take joy in beating Laurel and Diggle and killed an alderman in revenge for Roy shooting an arrow in his arm. When Malcolm defeated him and was preparing to execute him, he mocked him and said he killed Rebeca because she was weak. He expressed no guilt or remorse in anyway for the suffering he had inflicted on others.
When Danny realized that his plan to take over the Glades had failed, he tried to goad Malcolm Merlyn into killing him so he would not do any jail time.
- Peak of human physical condition: Danny is shown to be in top physical condition. From his constant gambit of giving his victims a chance to kill him first, he has repeatedly shown great speed and reflexes, regularly striking his target before they even get a chance to fight back.
- Exceptional durability: Danny's body is very durable, able to withstand extreme physical trauma. This is shown when John shot Danny in his head; though the bullet only grazed his skin, and was seemingly unfazed by the attack. However, he is still vulnerable, as he is seen able to visibly bleed and in pain from being shot by an arrow, though quickly recovered. In an actual fight, he is able to take multiple blows from weapons and fists with only minimal damage. During his fight against Ted, a professional and expert fighter, Danny took the initial beating before quickly rebounding. Danny is still with limits as to how much punishment he can withstand. He was quickly toppled by Malcolm with just two strikes (albeit possibly contributing to the damage Ted already inflicted).
- Advanced street fighter: Danny is very formidable in bare-handed combat. Using an effective brawling style and powerful fist strikes, he was able to beat a man to death and easily subdue Laurel Lance. Against skilled fighters like John Diggle and Ted Grant, he is able to swiftly beat his opponent into submission. However, his fighting skills are inferior to Malcolm Merlyn's.
- Guns: Danny carries a gun he used his entire career. He proudly claimed he killed every one of his victims with that gun. He gives this particular gun to his victims and allows them to try to shoot him.
Season 1 Edit
Season 3 Edit
- "From the Darkness" (flashback)
- In the original Green Arrow comics, Brick was a metahuman enemy of Green Arrow, with skin that gave him invulnerability and super strength.
- Brick is inadvertently the catalyst for the events of the whole show, since murdering Rebecca forced Malcolm to seek out Ra's al Ghul and train with him to become the Dark Archer, then plan the Undertaking, the events of which would lead Oliver to become the Arrow. This also indirectly led to the creation of Deathstroke and Sarab, and caused the death of Sara.