The episode is the third of a four-part crossover with the eighth episode of the third season of Supergirl, eighth episode of the sixth season of Arrow and eighth episode of the third season of DC's Legends of Tomorrow.
Barry and Iris's wedding brings the gang together, but things go awry when villains from Earth-X attack the ceremony. All of the superheroes band together with help from their super friends like Citizen Cold, The Ray, Felicity Smoak, Iris West and Alex Danvers to take on their most formidable villains yet. Earth's mightiest heroes - Green Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash and White Canary - lead their teams into battle to save the world.
Barry, Oliver, Sara, Alex, Martin and Jax wake up in a Nazi concentration camp on Earth-X, with power dampening collars.
The leader of the concentration camp is revealed to be the Earth-X doppelgänger of Quentin Lance, who takes them away for execution, before they are saved by Citizen Cold (the Earth-X doppelgänger of Leonard Snart). Snart takes them to a resistance bunker, where the team meets fellow resistance fighters Ray Terrill and General Schott (Winn Schott's doppelgänger).
It is revealed the only way back to Earth-1 is through a temporal gateway in a Nazi facility, which Winn plans to blow up to destroy the enemy's doomsday device.
Oliver disguises himself as his Earth-X doppelgänger to infiltrate the facility, discovers the Nazi's doomsday device against the multiverse is a militarized timeship called Wellenreiter, and saves a prisoner (who is Felicity's Earth-X doppelgänger) from Quentin.
Barry and Ray battle the Earth-X Red Tornado, while the rest of the team enters the facility. In attempting to reactivate the portal, Stein is shot and gravely wounded.
Back on Earth-1, Thawne prepares to perform surgery on Kara to save Overgirl. Felicity and Iris try to stop him, but are captured.
- Barry quotes Leonard Snart's rules to making a plan; "Make the plan. Execute the plan. Expect the plan to go off the rails. Throw away the plan." He previously told Barry these in the third season The Flash episode "Infantino Street". Leo thinks is a bad idea, as he always has a plan, referencing his Prison Break character Michael Scofield.
- This is the first episode of The Flash where Joe West does not appear.
- Harry exclaims "Rip van Ramon awakens" when Cisco wakes up, a reference to the short story "Rip Van Winkle" by Washington Irving.
- When traveling through the air conditioning vents, Felicity quips "lead the way, McClane", referencing an iconic scene in the 1988 film Die Hard in which protagonist John McClane does the same.
- Iris tells Kara "come with me if you want to live", referencing the catchphrase from the Terminator franchise.
- When Harry is imprisoned along with Cisco he annoyingly throws a ball against the wall of his cell, this could be a nod to The Great Escape where Steve McQueen's character does likewise.
- Wally West does not appear in this episode nor is he credited.
- During the scene in which Quentin Lance (Earth-X) is talking to Sara Lance, the song "Edelweiss" is heard in the background. This is a reference to The Sound of Music in which takes place in 1930s Austria.
|The Flash season 4|
|"The Flash Reborn" • "Mixed Signals" • "Luck Be a Lady" • "Elongated Journey Into Night" • "Girls Night Out" • "When Harry Met Harry..." • "Therefore I Am" • "Crisis on Earth-X, Part 3" • "Don't Run" • "The Trial of The Flash" • "The Elongated Knight Rises" • "Honey, I Shrunk Team Flash" • "True Colors" • "Subject 9" • "Enter Flashtime" • "Run, Iris, Run"|
|"Null and Annoyed" • "Lose Yourself" • "Fury Rogue" • "Therefore She Is" • TBA • TBA • TBA|