- For her Earth One equivalent, see Caitlin Snow. For other uses of "Killer Frost", see Killer Frost (disambiguation).
- "If you knew me at all, you would know that I hate the name Caitlin. I'm Killer Frost!"
- —Caitlin to Barry Allen[src]
Caitlin Snow (died April 2016), better known as Killer Frost, was a meta-human from Earth Two with the ability to unleash frozen air from her hands. She was also the wife of the late Ronnie Raymond. She was formerly an ally of Zoom and a former reluctant ally of Team Flash.
Caitlin once had a brother named Charlie, who died leaving her mother "cold". Soon she went to medical school, but rarely studied and flunked out and had to move back into with her mother. At one point in her life, Caitlin met and married Ronnie Raymond. Around 2013, Caitlin and Ronnie were affected by Harrison Wells' S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator, giving her cryokinetic abilities and him pyrokinetic abilities. Since then, Caitlin cut off all ties to her past life and began calling herself "Killer Frost" and refused to use her real name. Even so much as hearing it made her angry.
The arrival of Earth One Flash
After Francisco Ramon/Reverb vibed that his doppelgänger, along with other Earth One residents, had arrived on Earth Two, Caitlin and Ronnie searched for them. The two went to Jitterbugs and asked everyone which one of them were in the wrong universe. When Barry called her Caitlin, she told him she no longer went by that name. Caitlin then fired icicles toward Barry, who used a table as a shield. After Ronnie critically injures Joseph West, Caitlin and Ronnie were brought outside while Iris was distracted. After failing to kill Barry, Caitlin told her husband to do the job. The Flash used a helmet from a statue of Jay Garrick to redirect fire hurled by Ronnie toward Caitlin and badly injured her, and she was taken away and tended to by Ronnie.
Later, Caitlin and Ronnie were approached by Iris, Floyd Lawton, and Cisco Ramon/Vibe, Reverb's doppelgänger, though she and Ronnie made the three stand their weapons down. When Reverb tried to get Vibe to join him, the Flash intervened. The Flash was eventually overpowered by both Reverb and Ronnie but Caitlin warned them that Zoom told them to make sure the Flash was left unharmed. Zoom arrived and killed Ronnie and Reverb, much to Killer Frost's horror. She was approached by Zoom but was told the latter was happy one of them knew their place. After Zoom sped off, Caitlin ran toward her husband's body but soon ran away in grief.
After Ronnie's death Caitlin fled into the woods to mourn but was soon approached by Iris, Harry, Cisco/Vibe, and Earth Two Barry, demanding to know where Zoom was but she refused to tell him. Instead Caitlin tried to kill them and bring them to Zoom but Cisco eventually held her at gunpoint and Caitlin surrendered. However she still refused to tell them where Zoom was and Cisco tried to reason with her, telling Caitlin of her Earth One counterpart and how distraught she was when her Ronnie died too. Upon hearing this Caitlin was convinced to aid them and took them to Zoom's lair.
Though Caitlin freed Jesse she was unable to free Earth One Barry since she wasn't able to penetrate the carbine glass, but Barry eventually managed to phase his way out on his own. However Caitlin has secretly called Zoom and he showed up as soon as Earth One Barry escaped. However when Zoom told them all that though he couldn't kill Earth One Barry or Harry he could kill everyone else, and started with Jesse. However before Zoom could kill her, Caitlin turned on Zoom and blasted him with her ice powers, and held him down long enough for everyone else to escape. Caitlin was then imprisoned in Barry's carbine cell as Zoom had affection for her Earth One double, and kept Caitlin Two as a reminder of her.
After Caitlin's betrayal, she was in the cell for months, annoyed by her inmate in the iron mask but wasn't sure why she was even still alive. It wasn't until Zoom came with her doppelgänger when she realized she was spared because she is the Earth Two version of the woman he loves, and plotted her escape. However she always intended on killing Caitlin as Zoom wouldn't need Killer Frost anymore. When seen by Caitlin One, Caitlin Two introduced herself, and so did Caitlin One. She compromised that if Caitlin One freed her, she will lead her to her Earth. While working, both Caitlin's talked of their very different lives, but found common ground in their shared dislike for their mothers. Caitlin did eventually find a way to weaken the carbine, now able for her to escape. Although Caitlin One had helped her escape, Caitlin Two tried to kill her anyway. As Caitlin Two was about kill her doppleganger with her icicle projectile, Zoom intervened by taking the icicle shot out from Caitlin Two mid-air, and brutally stabbed her in the stomach, telling her he doesn't need her anymore, leaving her there to bleed to death.
In order to keep Black Siren occupied, both Caitlin and Cisco dressed up as their Earth Two doppelgangers, Killer Frost and Reverb to convince her to join them. Its supposedly worked until Black Siren saw through their ruse.
Later after the dissolving of the Flashpoint timeline, Caitlin started gaining the same powers as her doppelganger and a split personality. It made her worry she'd up up just like her and eventually, she did, although Caitlin regained control of her powers and reverted back to her original personality.
Unlike her Earth One counterpart, who is compassionate and loving, Caitlin was cold, cruel, sadistic, ruthless, arrogant, and immoral, she had no guilt or remorse for any of her actions; despite these negative traits of hers, there was one person she did care about - was her husband, Ronnie Raymond. Her love for Ronnie was such that she often became turned on when she witnessed him fighting. This is similar to her Earth One counterpart's somewhat flirtatious personality, though Caitlin's personality is far less inhibited.
Underneath her arrogance, Caitlin was openly terrified of Zoom, unlike Ronnie and Francisco Ramon, she knew better than to disobey his orders, as the latter would have killed her for disobeying his; not to kill the Flash.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Caitlin was struck by the energy of the Particle Accelerator explosion on Earth Two, this altered her DNA and supercharged her cells, augmenting her physiology to properly access her newfound powers.
- Skilled tactician/Manipulator: Caitlin was a capable tactician and manipulator.
- Carbine: Caitlin's cryokinesis had no effect on this compound.
- Limited control: It is implied that Caitlin could not control her powers upon contact with others, thus limiting her to only being able to kiss people with extreme body temperatures such as her late husband.
- Killer Frost suit: Caitlin wore a suit as her villainous alter-ego, Killer Frost. The suit consists of black and blue leather clothing to match Caitlin's personality and her cold powers.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Post 27 (mentioned)
- Post 31 (mentioned)
- Post 32 "Zoom.Is.Jay." (indirectly mentioned)
- Post 40 (indirectly mentioned)
- Since Caitlin of Earth One specifically stated in "King Shark" that she does not possess the metahuman gene, the fact that Caitlin of Earth Two was able to become a metahuman is the first indication that there are more subtle differences beyond contrasting events.
- This detail is one of the many changes following Flashpoint, as Earth-One Caitlin has manifested her counterpart's powers after Barry altered the timeline.
- Unlike her Earth One counterpart, Killer Frost has little sense of shame, willing to show off her body. When imprisoned with Caitlin, she even poked fun at her doppleganger's choice in clothes.However eventually after Caitlin got powers her Killer Frost side took off her clothes in front of Iris Felicity and Cecil implying that it's only the Frost persona in both versions of Caitlin who doesn't like to be dress like an modest civilian. Although we haven't seen what this Caitlin's personal style was before as the audience only knew her as the villainous Killer Frost.
- It's possible that Killer Frost may have survived, as Earth-One's Caitlin Snow has an accelerated healing factor under her Killer Frost persona.
- Apparently Caitlin Snow doesn't exist on Supergirl's Earth. However as shown by Jay Garrick being Henry Allen from Earth Three, same versions of people do not necessarily have the same name.
- It's interesting that Caitlin from Earth Two has ice-based powers when her surname, by coincidence, is "Snow".
- It's also interesting that Caitlin from Earth One once said Ronnie and herself were like "fire and ice" since, on Earth Two, they each have fire- and ice-based powers, respectively (although, Ronnie's powers on Earth Two are the same as those of his Earth One counterpart).
Behind the scenes
- Killer Frost is an alias used by three different female metahuman super-villains, all of whom were enemies of Firestorm in the main DC Comics continuity. In the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths timeline, Crystal Frost (introduced in Firestorm: The Nuclear Man #3, in June 1978) was a college student in love with Martin Stein who became the first Killer Frost after a freak accident which imbued her with the power to absorb heat and generate cold. After her death, a new Killer Frost debuted as Dr. Louise Lincoln (in Firestorm #21, in March 1984) a friend of Crystal's who gains the latter's powers through the same means in order to avenge her death. This incarnation of the character made several appearances up until the New 52 relaunch, having been a member of the Injustice League, Secret Society, Suicide Squad and an independent contractor. During the Forever Evil crossover-event of the New 52 relaunch, Caitlin Snow was introduced as the latest incarnation of the Killer Frost persona (as Caitlin Snow in The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Man #19, in June 2013, and as Killer Frost in Justice League of America #7.2, in September of the same year). This character is a S.T.A.R. Labs scientist in the field of thermodynamics, working in the Arctic.
- The Arrowverse version of Killer Frost, although identified as Caitlin Snow, also shares the Crystal Frost version's affection towards a member of the Firestorm/Deathstorm entity, in this case Ronnie Raymond.
- When confronting Killer Frost in the forest after finding her, Cisco called her "Elsa", referencing a character from Disney's film Frozen, due to her blonde hair and ice-manipulation powers.