|Civilian - The Flash|
|Occupation|| CSI for the Central City Police Department|
Leader of Barry Allen's team (in secret)
Vigilante (in secret)
|Family|| Henry Allen (father)|
Nora Allen (mother; deceased)
Joe West (foster father)
Iris West (foster sister)
|Actor|| Grant Gustin|
Logan Williams (young)
|Alter ego||The Flash|
- "My name is Barry Allen, and I am the fastest man alive. When I was a child I saw my mother killed by something impossible, my father went to prison for her murder, then an accident made me the impossible. To the outside world I'm an ordinary forensic scientist, but secretly I use my speed to fight crime and find others like me, and one day, I'll find who killed my mother and get justice for my father. I am The Flash!"
- —Barry Allen (Season 1 Intro)
Bartholomew "Barry" Allen (born c. 1989) is a scientist in the Criminal and Forensic Science Division of Central City Police Department, Barry is the son of Henry and the late Nora Allen, the foster son of Joe West, and the best friend and foster brother of Iris West, whom he has a romantic feelings for, a good friend of Felicity Smoak, Cisco Ramon, Caitlin Snow, Ronnie Raymond, Martin Stein and the late Eddie Thawne, and the ex-boyfriend and good friend of Linda Park. He had a good relationship with Eobard Thawne before knowing his true identity. He is also a big fan of The Arrow.
After the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator exploded, it caused a giant thundercloud to form. A lightning bolt from the storm struck Barry, causing him to fall comatose. He also had unknown chemicals fall on top of him, after he was electrocuted by the lightning bolt. When he awoke, he discovered that he had developed various super powers and abilities, most notably super speed but also rapid cell regeneration. Using these super powers, he began acting as the vigilante and superhero known as Red Streak or The Streak. It didn't take long until the public recognized him as The Flash and the Scarlet Speedster.
When Barry was eleven years old, he ran home from school after getting in to a fight. Though not being fast enough, his mother promised that he had a good heart, and his father was proud of him for winning the fight. That night, he was woken by a noise from downstairs. He walked downstairs to see his mother enclosed in a tornado-like blur. As Barry watched on in horror, his father approached and held him back. His father insisted he run, and suddenly he was transported by a flash of yellow several streets down. As he ran home, his father was being arrested by police, the former who told him not to enter the house. He entered, seeing Detective West standing solemnly over a body. When he walked away, Barry approached the body and discovered, to his horror, that it was his mother. Following the ordeal, Barry was fostered by Joe West, whose daughter, Iris, Barry was best friends with.
Initially, Henry asked Joe to not let Barry see him. Not knowing this, Barry kept trying to run away to see his father at Iron Heights, and he was caught and stopped by Joe every time; at one point, Barry called him out for it, telling him that he wasn't his father and that he hated him. Eventually, Barry finally reached Iron Heights before Joe could stop him, and he finally came face to face with his father. Henry told him that he simply did not want Barry to see him in prison. Despite this, Barry begged for his father's release, insisting that the man in the lightning was who killed his mother, not Henry. Henry told him that he couldn't help him and asked that he be a good boy while Joe raised him. Henry was promptly taken away.
In school Barry was relentlessly bullied by Tony Woodward. Joe noticed this and had Barry spar with Iris who easily beat him. Joe then told Barry that if he ever got into a fight he couldn't win that it was okay to run the other way.
At the age of 12, Barry went to reptile camp, which was paid for by Joe.
Barry had graduated from college majoring in two fields of science. It was with this skill that Barry was motivated by his mother's murder to study criminology, in the hopes of proving that his father was innocent.
Visit to Starling City
Years later, Barry arrived in Starling City. He wasn't able to initially get a cab as the driver pulled away, and he soon arrived at Queen Consolidated's Applied Sciences Division to investigate a mysterious break-in as a CSI from Central City with a connecting case, where he met Oliver Queen, John Diggle, Quentin Lance and Felicity Smoak (the latter whom he had an instant connection with).
He was set up in the division with Felicity's help, unknown to Barry, because Felicity believed that they should have used him as an asset seeing as forensic science was not the expertise of any of their team (namely Felicity, who usually did most of the information gathering and recon). The two began talking, and Barry began speculating about The Arrow and his background, making incisive observations about why The Arrow wore green instead of black, the type of arrows he used, and how he theorized that The Arrow has partners, particularly someone who had a background in computer sciences; all of this unnerved Felicity.
Barry was astounded when Felicity asked him to help with a blood sample from an arrow she received from the police both by her "connections" from working for Oliver, and the fact that he was working the same case as The Arrow. During that particular part of their investigation, Felicity invited Barry to a Queen Consolidated function, which was actually a party at the Queen Mansion. However, before the results came in, his cover as a crime scene investigator working for the police was blown by Oliver just after he and Felicity began arguing over a news report about the mass particle accelerator. It was revealed that he was just an assistant CSI and there was no connecting case in Central City. Barry explained what happened to him as a child, and how it had caused him to begin looking into cases with impossible circumstances, in hopes of one day proving one possible, therefore solving his mother's murder and freeing his father. He was later re-invited by Oliver as Felicity's plus one to come to his home where he was throwing a party for his mother. When there, he apologized to Felicity while they danced.
After the party, Barry was contacted by his boss and was told to return to Central City if he hoped to keep his job, and revealed the sedative used was ketamine, informing Felicity it should have been easy to track. He tried to catch the soonest train, though missed the last one of the night. He settled down in to the train station to wait for the next one in the morning, when suddenly he was hit with a tranquilizer dart to the neck. When he awoke, he found himself in Oliver's base with Diggle watching him and Oliver lying on a table in full Arrow costume. Felicity approached him and asked Barry to save Oliver's life, who was not only poisoned with an unknown substance from the A.R.G.U.S. disaster bunker, but also had been beaten by the robber who had stolen the centrifuge from Queen Consolidated, raided the blood bank, and encountered Oliver as The Arrow while stealing large amounts of ketamine from the bunker.
Barry was able to save Oliver's life, which Oliver was not too pleased with at first, as they had revealed his secret without his permission. However, Barry eventually gained Oliver's trust. He recommended that a mask would be better than the green grease he used on his eyes as better concealment of his identity. Oliver later asked him if there were any side effects to the rat poison he injected in him, and Barry told him that it could cause hallucinations and heavy sweating. He then discovered that Oliver's hallucinations weren't from the serum, and that it was psychological. Barry soon after headed back to Central City.
After he arrived back, he soon headed back to work, arriving to a crime scene late. He was successfully able to identify the getaway car from the robbery and also grabbed a sample of some animal feces found on the ground, before heading back to his lab to examine the evidence. While processing the feces, he was greeted by Iris West. Barry discussed the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator, noting that it provided ideas that were far beyond their current capabilities of science, hence why he was so excited. Detective West approached right as the feces had processed. Barry described the results found, explaining that it had a chemical used only at four different farms around town, suggesting they check them out. Following, Barry and Iris headed to the unveiling and switching on of the particle accelerator. Barry attempted to convey his attraction towards Iris, but she simply misunderstood it. They began listening to S.T.A.R. Labs CEO Harrison Wells, who described how the particle accelerator would lead to a much greater future. As they were listening, a guy stole Iris' bag along with her laptop inside it. Barry ran after him, attempting to catch up to him, however the guy knocked the wind out of him and ran off (only to later get caught by Detective Eddie Thawne). At the police station, Iris and Barry mocked Eddie, a new transfer from Keystone City. Later Barry headed to his lab, watching the news of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator, but as he watched it, it became unstable. The particle accelerator sent a shock-wave through the city, and only seconds later was Barry struck by a red bolt of lightning through a window in the roof. He was sent backwards through the already-charged chemicals and was knocked unconscious. A red flash of light appeared across his cheek, rising, and then faded away. He was quickly rushed to hospital, where he was kept on life support whilst in a coma.
For the following five weeks, Felicity Smoak visited Barry in the hospital while he was in a coma, and left only to help Oliver. Barry's heart constantly seemed to stop working, however it was concluded by Harrison Wells, who begun to visit him, that his heart was in fact beating too fast to even register. When Barry's condition began to worsen he was moved to S.T.A.R. Labs to be closely monitored and was frequently visited by Iris West.
Becoming The Flash
When he awoke from his coma 9 months later, Barry met Cisco Ramon, Harrison Wells and Caitlin Snow. He learned of his coma and how it had been caused by the explosion of the particle accelerator. Much to their annoyance, Barry chose to leave, claiming that he felt normal. Barry went to meet Iris at her work, where the two embraced, Iris incredibly thrilled to see Barry awake and walking. As they talked, Barry noticed time slow down, then fasten back up again. Iris grabbed her jacket, then they went to visit Joe at the police department. Joe was more than happy to see Barry, though he was called to a robbery at Gold City Bank. Detective Thawne followed West, also expressing his happiness at Barry's return. As they left, Barry noticed a rough detainee, who quickly reached for a police officer's gun. Before he could grab it, Barry sped over to him and back, stopping him from doing anything.
Freaked out by the incident, Barry promised to call Iris that night and left. Once outside, Barry noticed his hand shaking at an unbelievable speed, shortly followed by him accidentally almost running in to a bin at super speed, then breaking the back window of a cop car. Realizing the gifts he had, Barry went off running, testing out his super speed. Before long, he accidentally ran through the back of a van. Sometime later at an airfield, Barry met with Cisco, Caitlin and Wells. He put on a tight suit and got ready to run. Dr. Wells cautioned restraint, whereupon Barry began to run at full pelt.
Partway through, he began to remember the night of his mother's murder, specifically a ball of lightning with a man seemingly inside it surrounding his mother, and he crashed, fracturing his wrist. Back at S.T.A.R. Labs, they discovered that Barry's wrist had healed in under three hours, much to their amazement. Dr. Wells inquired as to what happened, and Barry explained what he'd remembered: a man somehow inside a ball of lightning. Barry raised the question that perhaps there were more people like him, but Harrison rejected the idea, claiming that Barry was unequivocally one of a kind. Following that, Barry went to meet Iris at Jitters. He looked upon Iris and Eddie kissing, and they soon took a walk as Iris explained to Barry how the two of them had met, asking him to promise not to tell her father. As they talked, a police car involved in a car chase slammed on the brakes, leading to Barry pulling Iris out of the way as the car hit the wall under the bridge. As the other car raced by, Barry recognized its driver: the seemingly dead Clyde Mardon. Barry ran after the car, crashing through the side and entering. Before Mardon could get his gun out, Barry grabbed the steering wheel, making the car tumble on its side, on to its top. Mardon exited the vehicle, relatively unscathed and Barry quickly followed.
He called out to catch Mardon's attention, but soon the area was flooded with fog, apparently made by Mardon himself, causing a car to run in to the already overturned car, forcing Barry to speed to a nearby patch of grass for safety. Paramedics soon arrived, along with the police, including Joe. Joe scolded Barry for having Iris out in the open and Iris for having followed the danger. Barry took Joe aside, telling him of his belief that the car was driven by Clyde Mardon, who had apparently survived a plane explosion, also somehow gaining the ability to control the weather. Despite various pieces of apparent evidence, Joe didn't believe him. Frustrated with Barry's seeming fantasies, Joe explained how his claims were impossible, including the ball of lightning with the man inside; he knew Barry's father was the murderer, as did numerous others. Having never asked for anything from Barry, Joe asked Barry to for once be realistic, to which Barry simply walked off, disappointed.
He returned to S.T.A.R. Labs, angry at Wells for lying to him about being the only one affected by the particle accelerator's explosion. Dr. Wells claimed to not be entirely sure, as there had been numerous amounts of radiation including anti-matter, dark energy and x-elements, all apparently theoretical prior to the event. Despite them only being theory up to that point, Wells claimed that Barry was proof otherwise. He went in to more detail, explaining that they'd been looking for more "meta-humans", a term they'd coined for people like Barry. Barry brought up Clyde Mardon, whom they had to stop before he hurt anyone again. Wells cautioned Barry to keep himself safe, as Barry had the potential to unlock previously undiscovered vaccines, medicines and breakthroughs in science, yet he wished to put himself on the line and "play hero". Dr. Wells saw him as nothing special, just a boy who'd been struck by lightning. Upset by Harrison's statement, Barry called Oliver Queen, hoping to get some advice. He visited Oliver in Starling City, where he expressed that he believed Barry could save people, though in an entirely different way to The Arrow. As opposed to The Arrow's tough vigilantism, Barry could be a guardian angel to the people of his city, saving them "in a flash". As he speeds away, Oliver expressed his awe at Barry's powers. Barry headed back to Central City, to S.T.A.R. Labs. He apologized to Caitlin and Cisco, understanding that they'd lost things in the explosion, but there had been an increase in crime, presumed to have led from the creation of meta-humans. They agreed to help, and Cisco even suggested the use of a suit he'd made, initially for a firefighter, but believed it suited Barry well. He put on the suit and raced to Mardon's farm, where they'd noticed an acute change in the weather. He saved Joe and Eddie, who'd come to investigate, after a piece of debris flew at them. With Mardon's tornado heading towards the city, with an increasing wind speed, Barry suggested that he run around the tornado in reverse in order to unravel it. Despite Caitlin and Cisco's belief that Barry might not hold up, he proceeded to run around it. Before he could run fast enough, Mardon knocked him away. Believing him to be too strong, Barry didn't think he could beat Clyde. However, as he was about to give up, Dr. Wells began communicating with him. Despite acting selfishly, Wells expressed that he truly, deeply believed that Barry was special, that he could help stop the havoc he'd created. With the confidence boost, Barry was able to run fast enough, clocking just over 700 mph, ultimately unraveling the tornado. After being knocked to the ground, both Clyde and Barry stood up. Clyde proceeded to point a gun at him, claiming them to be the same, though Barry strongly disagreed. Before he could shoot Barry, Joe intervened. The following morning, still at the crime scene, Joe and Barry discussed Barry's powers and Joe apologized, for not believing him and for also believing his father a murderer. Barry also promised not to reveal anything to Iris so as to keep her safe. Not long after, Barry visited his father in Iron Heights Prison, assuring him that he still believed in him, that he was incredibly proud to be his son. After that, with a lightning bolt symbol added to his suit, Barry ran through the streets of Central City, saving a man from crashing on his bicycle.
Sometime after, Barry was at work when he overheard a call that Joe and Eddie received of a situation at the Central City National Bank. He left and suited up, making his way to the bank, not before saving some dogs on the way. He attacked the man, finding that his punches didn't do much. The strongman threw him in to a pillar, causing it to break. Barry used his super speed to escape the crash and left before Joe or Eddie could see him. He made his way back to S.T.A.R. Labs, by which time his ankle had healed the wrong way. He informed the team of it and they sought to re-break it and set it straight. Barry described the strongman to Dr. Wells, who insisted that Barry not take it to the police, as he had to keep his secret identity a secret. He received a text requesting his presence at the crime scene. When he arrived he encountered Iris. She and Eddie walked off together, so Barry got to work by collecting DNA samples of the man. He overheard Eddie talking to another cop, believing that not only were he and Iris like siblings, but that Barry wasn't even her type. Barry handed over the DNA samples to Caitlin and Cisco, and went to help Joe get fingerprint samples from a man who was at the bank. Barry took the man's fingerprints, but accidentally hurt him when he was paying too much attention to Iris and Eddie. Following that, Joe and Barry left. In the car, Barry expressed his disappointment at having to keep his secret hidden, but Joe simply reassured him that it was necessary. As they talked, Eddie and Iris were involved in a crash in front of them. Barry and Joe got out of their car to help. The other two were fine, but they were all quickly shocked by the cause of the crash; a number of leopards and a tiger, who leaped towards Iris. As Eddie attempted to keep the cats at bay, Barry evacuated a bus using his super speed, then used some static electricity from the bus to scare the cats away. Unbeknownst to him, Eddie was left to think that he had done it, while Barry left the scene. He contacted Cisco and Caitlin, who alerted him to a group of chimpanzees wrecking a Tech Village store nearby. He suited up again and headed over there, giving each of them fruit from a fruit stand and allowing them to watch King Kong on a TV. Soon after, he directed them back towards the zoo. On the way there, an eagle defecated on his face. After locking the chimpanzee enclosure, Barry noticed a collar with a purple top hat on the tag, which he recognized. Caitlin and Cisco revealed that they'd ID'ed the sweat sample, finding that it belonged to Joey Rose. Cisco suggested he get back before anyone notice he was gone. When he arrived back in the tunnel, back to his usual clothes, Eddie noticed the smell of poo on Barry. Given that Barry had claimed he'd been hiding, they inferred the worst, Joe suggesting they head back to the police department and get cleaned up quickly. As he was about to exit the police department, Captain Singh ordered Barry, Joe and Eddie to check out a homicide at 122 West Olympic Street. Whilst there, Barry noted bite marks on the victim from a Russell viper. Eddie noticed papers strewn around the floor were in fact deeds to businesses; among them in particular was a circus. Barry contacted Caitlin, who unearthed that the circus, Central City Circus, was foreclosed, with the owner having previously escaped from Belle Reve, killing two people.After discovering the identity of the Central City Circus ringmaster, Barry sped back to S.T.A.R. Labs to learn more about him. Dr. Wells, a former fan of the circus, reminisced about him, Nathan Bliss, or Mr. Bliss as he was known, commenting on how extremely captivating he was. They pieced together that the strongman had been a meta-human due to his enormous size, and the zoo animals had been controlled by someone. Figuring that the circus had been in the range of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator's explosion, it was easily possible that the circus itself had been hit by it, therefore making Mr. Bliss also a meta-human. Barry decided to suit up and head to the circus. When he got there, he noticed Joey Rose, the strongman, standing guard. He mentioned how his boss had been awaiting Barry's arrival. As he entered the tent, a bunch of clowns rode towards Barry on a single bicycle. He knocked all of them out, proceeding on. He came across a man regurgitating swords, who threw one towards Barry. They entered a sword duel, only for Barry to use his super speed to outwit the man, knocking him away. However, he was promptly knocked over himself by the strongman. Before being able to be smashed, Barry raced around Joey towards Mr. Bliss, who had appeared. Before Barry could do him harm, Mr. Bliss had a floating man in a turban named Rajeet levitate him up through the air, soon leaving the atmosphere of Earth. As he started to freeze up, he was brought back down. Mr. Bliss quipped that although he was a speed freak, he was simply still a freak, therefore fitting in rather well with their circus. Mr. Bliss proceeded to tell Barry of his upbringing and how he'd joined the circus, all of which bored Barry. He went on to mention the night of the particle accelerator explosion, which had given most of them powers. Barry, now locked up in a cage, tried to reason that they could be used for good, as he did, but Bliss simply wished to make the city suffer for doing the same thing to the circus. Not wishing for anything bad to occur, Barry vibrated his hands at such a speed that the bars simply melted away, allowing him to run at Mr. Bliss. However, Bliss revealed the nature of his meta-human abilities: the ability to control one's feelings. Initially causing Barry to writhe in pain, as he got up he saw his mother, who he claimed to miss dearly. As they embraced, however, Mr. Bliss turned her in to a nightmarish, demonic creature. She pinned him down, judging him for apparently not having done enough in relation to her murder. He attempted to apologize, but she threatened to stab him as she had been stabbed. He jumped out of her way, but begged for mercy from Mr. Bliss. As he wept on the ground, Cisco and Caitlin crashed through in a van. They soon escaped, taking Barry to S.T.A.R. Labs. While he lay in a catatonic state, Dr. Wells insisted that he had to get better in order to save the city.
Barry continued to save citizens throughout Central City, much to the frustration of Caitlin and Joe. At his day job with the CCPD, Barry investigated a strange robbery and murder scene wherein the surveillance footage showed one man, but evidence indicated that there were at least six present. He later made a casual remark that the perp's footprints were about the same size as those of Captain Singh's but was reprimanded for it by Joe, who reminded him not to tell Iris about his ability. Later, Barry went to Stagg Industries with Iris, where Simon Stagg was set to receive an award from Central City University. Iris was covering the event for her journalism assignment and needed Barry to help her with the scientific parts. At the event, the armed gunmen responsible for the scene Barry had just investigated came arrived and was in the process of taking their valuables when a security guard attempted to stop them. Just before they could shoot him, Barry saved him and went after the robbers, only to lose consciousness along the way. After his fainting, this prompted the S.T.A.R. Labs scientists to investigate Barry's recent weaknesses. After a run at a "Cisco'd" treadmill, it was discovered that Barry had acute hypoglycemia, a condition that Barry developed because of his sped-up metabolism and could be remedied by a more extensive meal plan. Joe then arrived at the lab and called him out for his unnecessary heroics. Because of this, Barry lost confidence in himself and, face to face with Danton Black, the meta-human that infiltrated the Stagg event, he realized that he did not have the ability to really go up against them. At this point, Iris was still trying to get Barry to tell her what was going on with him. Just when he had momentarily quit his association with Wells and the others, Iris revealed that her new journalism topic would be his alter-ego, who has been dubbed the "red streak" by citizens. Caitlin then called Barry back to S.T.A.R. Labs and told him of a way to defeat Black. Joe then arrived to convince Barry to go after him. Barry did and followed Danton to Stagg Industries, where he intended to kill Stagg once and for all. With pep talk from those at the Lab, including Joe, Barry was able to isolate the real Danton from the hundreds of clones and put him down. When Danton momentarily regained consciousness, he attacked Barry only to miss and hit the window. Barry tried to save him from falling but Danton, not wanting to be saved, summoned up an extra hand to pull him from Barry's grip and fell, much to Barry's disappointment. Later, Barry commended the group at the lab, who then fully supported Barry's city-saving, even Caitlin, and made amends with Joe.Barry went to the movies with Iris when Cisco and Caitlin informed him of a car chase. Using his speed Barry quickly stopped the robber and returned before Iris knew he was gone. The next day Barry and Joe investigated the death of the Darbinyan crime family. Noting that as the victims were poisoned with gas they would have all died at the same time, yet some of them had time to move. This led to Barry realizing that they were dealing with another meta-human who could control gas. At S.T.A.R. Labs, Joe brought up the topic of finding a suitable prison for meta-humans. Wells and Cisco decided that the particle accelerator would be the best place to hold them until they could cure them of their powers. Caitlin, remembering the death of her fiancé Ronnie, froze in her spot. Seeing her distraught, Barry offered for Caitlin to help him run tests on the poison gas they'd procured. At Barry's lab the two talked about Ronnie until the DNA results came back, revealing that the gas inside the victims also had someone else's DNA. Hearing of the murder of Theresa Howard on the police radio, Barry left despite Caitlin pleads. Arriving at the scene, Barry found himself too late and angrily chased after the meta-human. Before he could fight him, the man transformed in to gas and forced Barry to inhale him. Rushing back to S.T.A.R. Labs, the team were able to painfully extract the gas with a needle. Despite being told to rest, Barry went to talk to Joe and confide in him about his inability to save the judge. He went on to mention his temptation to break his father out of jail, though Joe reasoned that his father would simply be a fugitive, and despite his abilities, Barry would never be able to save everyone. Later Barry apologized to Caitlin for worrying her, only for Caitlin to reveal that what he had said to her were the same last words Ronnie said before he died. Barry decided to help her overcome her fear of walking into the particle accelerator. After finding peace, she thanked Barry and the two embraced. Wells and Cisco soon called them up and revealed that a sedative was also found in the gas. Barry told Cisco to check if anyone was executed on the night of the particle accelerator, as the two chemicals were used when executing death-row inmates. They identified the meta-human to be Kyle Nimbus, a hit-man for the Darbinyan crime family, who turned on Nimbus, leading him to be arrested by Joe West and prosecuted by Judge Theresa Howard. Barry quickly suited up and headed to Iron Heights prison, saving Joe who was visiting Barry's father. Barry then went after The Mist, as Cisco proudly nicknamed him, defeating him by tiring him (meaning he would be forced to revert to his human form eventually). Barry later visited his father and confided in him they he missed his mother. Henry comforted him by telling him the story of how he learnt to walk. Barry realized that to honor his mother he had to continue running, as he had always done.
Barry trained the speed of his mind by multitasking by playing a game of chess with Harrison Wells, a game of Operation with Caitlin, and a game of table tennis with Cisco. Barry defeated Cisco and Caitlin but made a mistake which caused him to lose against Wells. Soon after, they had an alert of a bank robbery, to which Barry responded to quickly. At the scene, Barry managed to unmask Leonard Snart, the leader of his crew. After a guard was shot, Barry quickly rushed him to St. Andrews Hospital and quickly returned to the scene for work. When Captain Singh noted that a guard said there were four robbers, Barry corrected him to four, though he quickly justified his reasoning as it had to of been a four man job. After Singh sarcastically thanked Barry for his insight, Joe asked if Barry saw anything that could help the case, to which Barry told Joe he saw one of them unmasked. At the prescient, Barry quickly identified Snart to which he learned that Snart's father was a dirty cop. Later when Iris brought Barry coffee, Barry was told by Iris that she began a blog about The Streak. Barry failed to convince her to stop with the blog as it only brings crazies and trolls. Barry was shocked when he saw Felicity in his office. Barry caught up with Felicity to which he learned Felicity listened to his entire conversation with Oliver on the rooftop. Barry showed Felicity his powers and brought her to S.T.A.R. Labs. When asked if they could trust Felicity, Barry told Cisco and Caitlin that she works with The Arrow, reassuring them. Barry showed his powers again, using the treadmill to which Barry attempted to show off by running backwards, though he failed. When Barry brought Felicity to Jitters, he was invited by Iris to join her and Eddie to Trivia Night and to bring Felicity. When Iris asks why Barry isn't dating Felicity who she claims to be the perfect girl, Barry states that they are only friends. At trivia night, Barry and Felicity answer a majority of questions correctly. Iris then pushed Barry to ask Felicity out again, assuming Felicity was very interested in Barry based on how she dressed. After Snart was spotted, Barry left and had Felicity cover for him, though she had no excuse that could work for him. Barry arrived in time to save Joe and a few others but due to the fact he was struck by the cold gun when saving Joe, he was slowed down and failed to save a security guard. Barry later was furious at Cisco for building the weapon which caused the death of a man. Barry felt betrayed as he was never notified of such weapon, causing him to be unprepared. Barry quickly learned Cisco originally made the gun to be used on him, had he gone uncontrollable. After the team tracked Snart, Barry decided to take him on his own and turn off all communications. When Barry confronted Snart, Snart notes that Barry's weakness is his altruism always saving others, rather than go after the villain. Snart froze the wheels of the train, causing it to derail as he fled. Barry having no choice, managed to rescue all passengers though he was attacked by Snart. Before Snart could finish him, Barry was saved by Cisco, Caitlin, and Felicity. Back at S.T.A.R. Labs, Barry said his goodbyes to Felicity, though he later chased after her and hopped on her train. The two had conversations on relationships before sharing a kiss.
Barry was hanging out with Cisco, Caitlin, Iris, and Eddie at a bar where he discovered that because of his high metabolism he could not get drunk. Suddenly a explosion was reported was reported at a building Barry raced over to see a window washer about to fall, thinking of no other way to save him Barry asked Cisco and Caitlin how fast he would need to go to run up a building. They told him that if he moved at extremely fast speeds he would be fine but must maintain his speed on the way down or risk serious injuring. Barry rescued the man but was seen by Iris. blurring his face so she couldn't recognize him he quickly left. Later as police investigate Barry noted that he could find no bomb casing to Joe. Searching through the files using his powers Barry found some information that pertained to the incident. Back at the police station Barry was told by Joe to give the military everything they had on the case. Barry handed the files over but using his speed managed to snatch one file from them. Joe told him to consult with the crew at S.T.A.R labs. At the lab Barry told them of what happened. Wells was familiar with the general leading the investigation, Wade Eiling. Wells explained that he worked with Wade to develop gene therapies for soldiers while Wells was concerned for it benefiting civilians only for him to severe their partnership when he found out Eilings plans for developing mind reading abilities for interrogation purposes. Cisco went through the army's digital records where they discovered the culprit was a woman named Bette Sans Souci a bomb specialist for the army. Barry found Bette at her last known address however when tried to take her in contact with her caused his clothes to begin to detonate Bette told Barry to get out of his clothes before they exploded which he did just barley escaping the blast. Back at Star labs Barry told a distraught Cisco about the suit and revealed to the others she was a meta-human. Joe came him and asked Barry why he didn't tell him Iris saw him the the other night. Barry told him she caught him off guard so Joe told him to tell Iris to stop blogging about him. Barry begged Iris to stop but she refused claiming that he himself wanted to know to find out about the impossible since they were young Barry noted that she wasn't even putting her name on it, Iris told Barry to talk to her when he told her the truth of why he was being so skeptical. Cisco and Catilin called and told him that Bette was spotted at the location of the surgeon who experimented on her. Barry arrived just in time to save Bette from being captured. Back at Star Labs the others told Bette of how the Particle Accelerator explosion and how it changed her.As they examined her Caitilin discovered a tracked inside her graze wound when the army attacked her, leading Wade right to Star Labs. The others quickly got her got her out while Wells stalled Wade. Outside while testing her abilities Bette asked Barry if the others had tried to help him find a cure. Barry told her how a friend once told him that the bolt struck him for a reason and now because of it he can help people. Joe called and told Barry that Iris put her name on her blog. Barry confronted her as the Flash and told her to stop writing about him. Iris revealed that to him that she was writing to help Barry prove that the impossible does exist. Barry arrived at Star Labs where the others revealed to him and Bette that curing her was at the moment impossible. Barry suggested that they join her but the others pointed out that Bette's powers were to destructive and could put them all in danger despite Barry pointing out she was the first meta-human they encountered who was not a criminal or a person to use their powers to hurt others. Back at his lab in the police station Barry met up with Joe. He told him that by visiting Iris as the Flash he found out that Iris was only writing about him to help. Barry pointed out that the only way to get Iris to stop was to tell her the truth claiming he told her everything only for Joe to reveal he been knew Barry had feelings for Iris since he was a child and noted that Barry has not told Iris his feelings about her. Barry claimed it didn't matter since she was already dating Eddie but Joe told him that went fate wants something to happen whether it be him getting hit by the bolt that gave him his powers or getting two people to fall in love it works things out. Back at Star Labs the others told Barry Bette had left without saying where she was going. When they finally found her about engage Eiling and his men Barry rushed to her location before she could kill him. As Barry talked her out of killing Eiling the general shot her killing her. As her body began to detonate the others told Barry to get her remains out of the city. Barry asked them how fast he would have to go to run on water. The team guessed about 650 miles per hour but told him he must escape the blast once he dropped her. Barry did and just barley managed to outrun the shock wave. Later as Eiling covered up the incident Barry expressed disappointment, as Eiling had killed Bette in cold blood right in front of him and yet they could do nothing to him. Caitlin tried to comfort him telling him that running on water put him in interesting "company". Back at Joe's house Barry told Iris about his situation with Bette without telling her the specific details and asked her one more time to stop writing about the streak. Iris again refused forcing Barry to tell her that they should not talk to each other for awhile.
Later Barry visited Iris once again as the Streak and tried to convince her to stop writing about him. However she ignored his request and instead tried to find out more about him. She then asked what she should call him with Barry claiming anything would be better then "the Streak". Their conversation was cut short when they heard sirens. Rushing to the crime Barry saved a kid who was about to get ran over by the culprit. Cutting the criminal off, Barry discovered he was a meta-human when the man rip the door off of the door of Humvee he had stolen and threw it at him. Barry dodged this and attacked the man, only for his skin to turn into a steel like substance which resulted in him injuring his hand and the man brutally back handing him. Beaten Barry escaped but not before the criminal told him that he was "born to take a beating" a phrase that seemed familiar to him. Rushing back to S.T.A.R Labs Barry passed out on the floor . Caitlin examined his injuries and told him he had various fractures, a concussion and a bruised spleen the injuries being so severe to the point that Caitlin told him even with his healing abilities it would take a couple hours for him to recover . Barry then told them about the meta-humans abilities. Barry then asked how he was gonna fight a man made of steel. Dr. Wells and the team assured that they would find a way, . The next day Barry reported to the Central Police Department, where he confirmed with Joe that the metal man was indeed a meta-human. Joe told Barry that he was putting him and Eddie on the case so that Barry could explain to Eddie what he saw. Barry then went to see the Central City District Attorney. The DA identified the "man of steel" as Tony Woodward. Barry recognized the name. Woodward was a former classmate of Barry and Iris’, who bullied Barry throughout his childhood. After the meeting, Barry and Eddie ran into Iris. Eddie asks Barry what’s going on between Iris and him, not knowing that Barry was avoiding Iris but Barry told him everything was fine. At S.T.A.R. Labs, Barry was introduced to a girder dummy built by Cisco so Barry can learn the right speed to take down Tony Woodward. Barry was easily defeated and dislocated his shoulder in the process. Shortly after, he was called by Eddie who had found the missing Humvee. Barry responded and as he arrived, Eddie recommended that he should get a car. Eddie then asked what's happening between him and Iris again where Barry revealed they had a fight. Barry and Eddie then headed to Rusty Iron Ale Brewing Co. after suspecting he had dropped by there due to the kegs in the trunk. After questioning a few men at the brewery, one man ran where Barry and Eddie chased him. Barry ran in front of the two, where the man punched Barry though it slowed him down enough for Eddie to take the man down. They then learn that Tony supposedly died in an accident though they revealed to the man that he lived. Barry visited Iris at Jitters again where he told her that Tony is an example of why she should stop blogging about him. As the cops arrived, Barry ran off to Tony's hideout. Barry was easily defeated by Tony and rendered unconscious. After he was brought back to S.T.A.R. Labs, he was yelled at by Harrison Wells who reminded him that they were still finding a way to stop him. Barry was then told that they had found a way to stop Tony and that is to hit him at 837 mph. At the precinct, Barry and Eddie discussed being victims of bullying as kids. While blowing off heat using a punching bag. They were soon told that Iris was missing where the two quickly rushed down. After learning a fire alarm went off at his old elementary school, he quickly realized that's where Tony and Iris were. Barry fought Tony but was once again defeated. Barry then ran away from the school, 5.3 miles exactly. Barry then ran back towards the school, breaking the sound barrier and knocked Tony down. Barry then greeted an incarcerated Tony, revealing his identity and told him that the particle accelerator made them who they truly were.
After walking away from the makeshift prison, Barry celebrated as he had finally had his revenge on Tony. Barry then greeted Iris at Jitters and the two reconcile. When Iris told Barry more about "The Streak", she told him how he comes and goes in the blink of en eye where Barry interrupted her saying he does it in "A Flash".
Barry went for an early morning coffee run at Jitters, though a trainee was working that morning. After a woman complained about it, Barry sped past and got everyone their coffee and left a large tip for the trainee. As he left Jitters, a man grabbed him and asked for his wallet. Barry laughed at the man, as he chose him out of everyone else in the city. Barry proceeded to take a majority of the mans clothes off and brought a police officer as he ran away. Barry later was called to a crime scene where a man was burned to death. Joe said Barry had to ID him though Eddie asked how Barry was going to do so with the mans face melted off. Barry then bragged about his "mad skills". Barry then brought the photo of the man to S.T.A.R. Labs, where they managed to ID the man as Casey Donahue. Shortly after, the mans ID was used at an electrical plant, which Barry quickly responded to. When Barry arrived, he encountered Farooq Gibran, a meta-human who has the ability to drain electricity. Barry made a few attempts to avoid his attacks though Barry was soon struck by Farooq. Barry later tried to run away, though to his surprise, he had last his super speed. At S.T.A.R. Labs, they had tested him on the treadmill, though to everyone's surprise, Barry ran slow for a normal person. Barry warned Barry about the meta-human who siphoned his abilities and killed the man. Barry later bumped into William Tockman at the precinct, who had complimented him for his watch. At S.T.A.R. Labs, they managed to identify the meta-human who shortly arrived at the lab, demanding to see Harrison Wells. Wells shortly told Barry that they could try jump starting him to regain his speed which Barry quickly agrees to. When Farooq broke into the lab, Barry tried to talk sense into him but Farooq only struck Barry. Cisco managed to close the doors to hold Farooq off for a short while. Barry and Caitlin then went to the treadmill to jump start his powers. When Cisco turned the power back on, Caitlin was hesitant to follow through as she was afraid he would die. Barry told Caitlin that if she doesn't follow through that they would all die. When Caitlin made an attempt to jump start Barry, though they would learn that it had failed. Barry and Caitlin then witness Tony get defeated by Farooq. Barry asked what he was doing outside of the prison where Tony reminded him he never steps away from a fight. Tony then told Barry and Caitlin to get out as Tony died. Barry was then furious at Harrison, who had used Tony to buy some time. They then noticed that Barry's cells were still regenerating though Barry still didn't have his speed. Cisco and Caitlin then believe he has yet to regain his speed is because it's mental and doesn't believe enough. When they made an attempt to escape the lab, they were attacked by Farooq. Harrison then finally faced Farooq.
When Farooq attacked Harrison, Barry finally believed enough to regain his speed and save Harrison. Barry faced Farooq once more but this time he has connected to his powers and the energy overwhelmed Farooq, killing him. Barry then rushed to the precinct, worrying that something had happened to Iris. He was relieved when he saw her safe in Joe's arms. After they locked up Farooq's body, Caitlin noticed that Barry's cells were regenerating faster than before. Barry payed Eddie a visit at the hospital. After Iris left to grab a coffee, Barry briefly left and had a conversation with Iris as The Flash. Barry then told Iris he would never be late again and that Iris is worth being on time for. Barry then ran off and returned to Eddie's hospital room.
Barry arrived at a bank that Roy Bivolo was robbing, only to find everyone attacking each other. Barry managed to save a man from being shot as everyone began to stop attacking. When Joe and a few other police arrive at the scene, Barry suggested to Joe that the people were "whammied". At the precinct, Barry learned that Eddie finally believed The Flash's existence though he learned Eddie believes he's a menace. Barry proceeded to steal Captain Singh's lunch as he went to S.T.A.R. Labs to discuss the new meta-human. Shortly after, Iris called him out through her blog. Before Barry left, Caitlin told him not to get involved in Iris and Eddie's relationship as he would be responsible for their breakup. When Barry arrived at Jitters, he told Iris his name was Ralph. Barry was warned by Iris that Eddie was pushing to get him behind bars. Barry managed to get to the storage facility Roy was hiding at before Joe and two other police officers could be killed. Barry was then greeted by Oliver, who had arrived in time to injure a "whammied" police officer. Barry then raced to the barn Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle were hiding at. When he arrived, he bragged how he gave Oliver a half an hour head start, yet still beat him. Barry asked the three what they were doing in Central City where he learned they were investigating a homicide which possibly connected to Central City, due to the material of the boomerang used to kill. Barry suggested that the two teams should work together, though Oliver refused as he didn't want anymore people in on his secret. Barry then carried Felicity and took her to S.T.A.R. Labs as she volunteered to go help. Barry was later told by Harrison and Joe not to trust Oliver as they feared he was to dangerous. The following day, Barry met up with Barry and Felicity at CC Jitters, where Barry learned that Oliver had helped get the name of the meta-human. Barry was then asked by Iris how he knew Oliver Queen. She then sarcastically said that Oliver's arms were twice the size of his and told him that Oliver was on her top 3 cheat list. Barry was then glad when Oliver decided to work along with him. The following day, Barry arrived late for the training, despite his speed. Barry was told by Oliver that he always ran in blind and he has a lot to learn. Barry was told to run a distance and run back where he'd get shot by an arrow where Barry told Oliver he wasn't going to be shot. Barry proved him wrong by catching the arrow though he was struck in the back by 2 bolts which Oliver had set up. At the precinct, Barry was told once again not to trust The Arrow, though Barry defended him, saying he's the reason they had Bivolo's name. Barry then decided to cut off the partnership and go after Roy himself. Barry was whammied by Roy but he believed there was no effect on him. Barry proceeded to bring up Ronnie in front of Caitlin. He later met up with Oliver where he told him that he believed Oliver was jealous of him. At the precinct, Barry lashed out at Captain Singh. Later on, Barry attacked Eddie and threw him out of Iris' car. As he was about to beat Eddie, Barry was hit by a trick Arrow from Oliver. Barry then pulled the rope from the arrow and dragged Oliver down an alley. When Oliver fired two arrows, Barry dodged them, believing Oliver had missed, though he failed to realize there was an electricity box behind him. Oliver then injected Barry with two thousand milligrams of horse tranquilizer, though his metabolism burned it all off. Barry then ran circles around Oliver and as Oliver used one of his arrows to get on the roof, Barry reached the roof first and knocked Oliver down. Barry then dodged a few hits from Oliver before punching him several times. Barry then caught two arrows which Oliver had set up to his motorbike. Barry was then shot in the leg with a flechette and then held by Oliver as Joe and Harrison arrived to reverse the effects from Bivolo. Barry and Oliver went on to take down Bivolo and look him in the prison in S.T.A.R. Labs. The following day at Jitters, Barry apologized to Oliver for his actions and his words, but was then told by Oliver that guys like them can never get the girl because of what they do. Barry visited Iris at Jitters though he learned Captain Singh has called the task force to bring him in. Iris proceeded to tell him she doesn't want to see him again after what he did to Eddie. Barry then ran off into the night.
Barry arrived in time to intercept two boomerangs from striking Oliver. Barry ran to the arrow-cave and performed the salmon ladder in super speed in front of Caitlin and Felicity. Barry then stated the salmon ladder made him hungry for sushi, which he quickly grabbed before rushing back. When Barry returned to the arrowcave, he had blown his identity to Lyla Michaels, to who he thought was Diggle's wife. Barry offered to help with the case, though Oliver told him that things are a lot different. Barry told Oliver that he had begun to approach cases more carefully rather than just running into them. Oliver then accepted his help and told Barry they needed to reassemble the boomerangs to which Barry did swiftly. Barry and Oliver visited Quentin Lance where Quentin had forgotten has name and believed it to be "Bart." Quentin also believed that Barry was hit by a bus, rather than lightning, though Barry corrected Quentin. Barry asked Quentin about Klaus Markos where he learned enough information to track Klaus down. Barry was later surprised that Oliver was part of the Bratva, where Oliver told him that he's no longer a member. At the Bratva's hideout, Barry managed to subdue the members before Oliver arrived. After Oliver tortured Klaus, Barry brought Klaus to the Starling City Police Department and cuffed him to a drawer. When Barry returned, he admitted that he should have listened to Harrison Wells and Joe West. When Oliver told him that Starling City isn't always sunny and that he had friends and family murdered, Barry interrupted Oliver, saying he watched his mother get murdered also. Barry then told Oliver that he doesn't use his own personal tragedies to torture whoever pissed him off. When they believed they had tracked Digger Harkness, Barry and Oliver arrived at the warehouse, though they realized that they were played. When they returned, they found Lyla in critical condition where Barry rushed her to Starling General Hospital. After Oliver blamed himself, Barry reassured him it wasn't his fault. When Oliver told Barry that everything he had been through taken away his humanity, Barry told him his humanity is what got him through everything. Barry and Oliver arrived later arrived a the train station where they had tracked Digger. Digger told them that they can stop him, or 5 bombs from detonating. Barry left to defuse the bombs while Oliver dealt with Digger. When Barry arrived at the first bomb, the team quickly realized that the bombs are linked and if one is defused, the remaining will detonate. Cisco told Barry that he needed to cut all 5 wires at the same time though Barry reminded him he wasn't Multiplex. Barry then quickly grabbed Felicity, Caitlin, Roy, and Cisco to the other four bombs where the five of them managed to cut the wires simultaneously and stop the bombs from detonating. At the arrow-cave, Barry was surprised when he had a mannequin set up for a future team-up. When Oliver said he will still be calling the shots, Barry told him that they'll see about it. Barry and Oliver then went to a warehouse to settle once and for all, who would win in a fight. Before the dueled, Barry told Oliver that he could still inspire people, but as Oliver Queen. Barry managed to catch two arrows from Oliver before charging towards him and dodging multiple arrows.
Barry visited the West household for Christmas. When he set up the Christmas tree using his speed, he was told to remove what he had added as the only red suited man Joe wanted to see in the house was Kris Kringle. Iris shortly arrived with egg nog using her grandmothers famous recipe. Barry and Iris shortly exchange gifts where he gave Iris a replica of her mothers wedding band. Iris gave Barry a microscope which she thought was lame but Barry claimed he loved it. They were shortly interrupted by Eddie who joined them for tree trimming. Barry went to S.T.A.R. Labs where he brought the team gifts as well as Grandma Esther's eggnog. After an attack at Mercury Labs they discover that a speedster had attacked a few guards in search of a machine. Barry quickly wanted to go after him but was told by Joe that the speedster took all the evidence and threatened to kill Iris. At the precinct, Barry had memories of the night as he looked upon his bulletin board. He was visited by Iris who had been calling his name multiple times. Iris told Barry that Eddie had asked her to move in and she said yes. She then asked if Barry had feelings for her as Eddie was under the influence that he liked her. Barry quickly denied the suggestion. As Iris left, Barry saw the man in yellow just across from the precinct. Barry chased after the man and demanded to know why he killed his mother. The two race down towards a stadium where they battled though the man in yellow quickly defeated Barry. The man told Barry that they were going at it for years and that it's destiny for Barry to lose to him. The following day, Barry told the team about what had happened. After Barry believed he couldn't catch him, Wells reminded that force fields are impervious to speed. Barry and Joe are visited by Tina McGee at the precinct who brought an unsigned warrant. Barry blackmailed Tina into giving them the tachyon prototype within the hour. Barry was then told by Barry that it's best for him to stay away while they capture the man in yellow. Barry argued that it's his fight though they still shut him down. Barry visited his father and told him that he had found the man who murdered Nora. When he apologized for failing to catch the man, his father reassured him that it wasn't his fault. Barry was then told to stop pursuing that man as everything that happened to Barry was influenced by the murder. His father noted that he had given up the chance to be with Iris because he was too consumed with what happened. His father then told Barry to not let the man take anymore from him. Barry then went to visit Iris and confess his feelings, leaving Iris in tears. Barry received a text from Caitlin asking him to save them. When Barry arrived, he attacked the man in yellow though was quickly defeated again. Barry is then saved by Ronnie who quickly fled shortly after. Back at the precinct, Barry and Joe recount the early days of Barry moving in. Joe claimed that Barry changed the atmosphere of the house and asked Barry to move back in. They then return to Joe's home for a Christmas gathering where he gave his best wishes to Eddie and Iris.
Barry is described as someone who complements Felicity Smoak's intellect level, both when it comes to forensics, as she claims it's not her strong suit, and science in general. He is also someone who is regularly late as he missed a train, boarded a late train, and misses a cab all to get to Queen Consolidated's warehouse, and missed the last train back to Central City. He is also considered a comic geek.
Much like Oliver, he has a strong sense of justice, due to the fact he knows his father is innocent of a crime he was convicted of, and for which he is still serving a life sentence. He joins the forensics department to both learn how to investigate crimes, and study cases with unexplained elements, to prove his personal account of his mother's murder true, and ultimately, free his father. Barry is very intelligent, and like Felicity he is socially awkward, and sometimes gets nervous and babbles.
Barry has good morals, he does not like to lie about who he really is, like when he first met, Oliver, Felicity and Quentin, and told them he was a forensic scientist, this was only because he knew they wouldn't take him very seriously if they knew he was only an assistant forensic scientist. When Oliver confronted him, after he found out who Barry really was, he did not try to deny it, but also explained the reason why he did it.
Barry has a lot of respect for the vigilante known as The Arrow. When he found out that Oliver/The Arrow are the same person he is amazed, he also saved his life after he was injured by Cyrus Gold and consequently poisoned, despite the fact that he barely knew Oliver, he also keeps his secret. Despite his respect for Oliver, Barry is not above standing up to him, like when he pointed out that Oliver was being a jerk to Felicity, though he said this in a respectable way.
When he first discovered his new-found powers, he wanted to help people. When he first tried to stop Clyde Mardon, someone unintentionally got killed because of his actions, and he lost his confidence, however after getting advice from Oliver, he regained his confidence. As the series progresses Barry becomes more and more confident.
He enjoys being a superhero, when he briefly lost his super powers, he was sad.
Oliver mentions Barry is very stubborn and isn't likely to learn from his flaws until experiencing them first hand as shown during his training with Oliver. This prompted Oliver to show Barry a potential consequence of not surveying his surroundings before charging at an enemy by shooting him with two remote controlled crossbows.
Despite his dislike of crime and meta-humans who use their new-found powers for evil intentions, killing and torturing his enemies is a line that Barry would never cross, as he criticized Oliver for torturing Klaus Markos to gain the location of Digger Harkness. He even stated that he does not use his bad experiences as an excuse to torture people in general who makes him angry.
Barry is shown to be selfless, like when he found out that Eddie was going to ask Iris to marry him, Barry did not try to stop this engagement, despite recently discovering future events; that Iris will become his wife, instead of Eddie's.
Barry Allen is very good-looking. Caitlin Snow, Linda Park, and Felicity Smoak find him attractive. But even though she doesn't know it yet, Iris West will be his love interest.
Powers and abilities
- Speed Force connection/Meta-human physiology: Barry's powers come from the Speed Force; a mysterious energy field that he first accessed when he gained his powers from the dark matter lightning. The lightning altered his DNA to supercharge his cells with enormous amounts of electricity and likewise augmented his physiology, obtaining a lean-built frame to properly handle his new abilities. As he began accessing more of his true capacities, Barry soon realized that he could use the Speed Force to gain more advanced powers. It is currently unknown if he has full access to the Speed Force or can access it at will/by instinct.
- Superhuman speed: After being electrocuted by the lightning storm created by the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator and having unknown chemicals falling on top of him, Barry was able to move at superhuman speeds. Barry is also unaffected by the side-effects caused by these speeds such as high friction, reduced oxygen, and kinetic impact. Although his potential top speed is unknown, it is known that he can run at least at Mach 1.1 (837 mph/1347 km). The intensity of his speed allows him to run vertically up structures and even above large masses of water. His bodily control can also vibrate his entire body to mask his body from others clearly perceiving it and even distort his vocal cords to disguise his voice. Similar, he can vibrate his cells fast enough to forcibly expel any toxins that due manage to affect him. Barry is able to control air flow on all levels by moving through them fast enough and create vacuums with his accelerated movements. He could spin his arms at the speed of a tornado to remove air from fire and extinguish it, as well and creating a wall of wind capable of completely removing the physical force from a tidal wave created by Mark Mardon by running back and forth. He achieved this by moving in any other repetitive pattern, such as running back and forth or in a circle. Barry has utilized his speed in other ways as well, including vibrating the molecules of his body so far as to become intangible and phase through solid objects, generating extreme force, and even rupturing the boundary between time and space. As of now, Barry's top speed, is Mach 2, as mentioned by Caitlin Snow, Barry had never before gone that fast.
- Superhuman agility: Barry is incredibly agile, able to change direction immediately. This allows him to make sharp turns on city streets without sliding or losing his balance, and helps him leap farther and higher while running.
- Superhuman stamina: Barry's body can handle the stresses of superhuman racing without noticeable distress, and his body's enhanced stamina allows him to function much longer then a normal human without getting tired or weak.
- Superhuman reflexes: Barry's increased speed also augments his reaction time, allowing him to react to danger and events much faster than a normal human. When shot in the neck on his blindside, Barry was able to catch the bullet and minimize the damage before it could fully penetrate.
- Accelerated perception: Barry's speed also extends to his senses and mental capacities, allowing him to take in information and process it at much faster rates than a normal human. This ability allows Barry to see the world as if it is in slow motion, which, combined with his physical speed, lets him perform thoughts and actions, as well as comprehend things, long before a normal human around him could even perceive them. Against fellow speedster like Harrison Wells, the Reverse-Flash, despite enemy's superior reflexes and raw quickness, Barry is still able follow and essentially keep up with Wells' movements.
- Rapid cellular regeneration: Barry's augmented speed also dramatically heightened his healing capacities. This is caused by his body on a molecular level moving at accelerated rates, causing the chemical reactions responsible for metabolism to mend and even restore any damages much quicker and efficiently than regular humans. After breaking his wrist while testing his new-found speed, Barry made a full recovery within three hours with no lingering effects or even signs of it having ever happened. His body also has a heightened resistance, if not immunity, to any sickness, drugs, toxins, and poisons. Normal drinking does not affect and after consuming a special 500 proof alcohol, he was only intoxicated for a few seconds. Similarly, when The Arrow injected him with 2,000 milligrams of horse tranquilizer, Barry was only momentarily slowed down until he burned through it.
- Extreme force generation: Through Barry's ability to accelerate his movement and that of his cells, he can generate great amounts of physical forces, such as kinetic energy and friction. Through generation of momentum via his extreme acceleration, he is able to propel himself through the air and create substantial frictional force with any object he comes into contact with, as seen when he jumped 10-15 feet in the air to collide with a large wooden plank to save Joe West from it as it fell in his direction. This also can set his regular clothing on fire, or simply cast burning from his clothing or sometimes the clothing of others, such as Felicity, who had to pull of her blouse due to it smoking, that are moving with him, all due to the extreme friction force he generates while accelerating his movements at full or almost full potential. When he stops using his speed while in his normal clothes or others with regular clothing are being moved by him, these clothing sometimes smoke, cast embers, or catch fire and burn. Alternatively, his enhanced speed lets him manifest his enhanced force into powerful strikes, often propelling objects or people several feet. While this does not enhance his strength, it compensates for his normal physical strength by greatly increasing the force behind his hits. The more he accelerates his movement, the more force he generates, even to the point where he could create sonic blasts with his strikes while moving at Mach 1.1, enough to disable a meta-human who could become as strong and hard as steel. Similarly, Barry is able to hurl a bullet from his hand with enough force to penetrate a powerful barrier and still pierce clean through a person. His enhanced physical force and momentum has allowed him to overpower humans with little to no effort. When moving at enhanced speed, he can easily avoid indirect physical forces, allowing his to run on walls and other surfaces, leap at super sonic speed and be partially unaffected when struck as he is moving. If their is a surface he can touch, Barry can defy physical forces by generating his own and moving in away that allows the opposing force to pass him or move through him, giving him immunity to indirect physical force it as long as he generates proper amounts of force and moves fast enough. He can avoid death by high impact by accelerating his movement and move away from the object of impact and be unaffected. He did this when moving against Reverse Flash when he fought him at super speed while in the air. They both landed on the ground unharmed by moved to fast to be affected by the force of impact. Accelerating his movement, allowing Barry to physically exert himself with inhuman ease allowing him to perform feats of inhuman physical force and not experience any strain, though he must still accelerate his movement or exert the force right after he stops accelerating himself. He does not need to accelerate all of his body to enhance his force and momentum, as he could generate inhuman amounts of friction and kinetic energy by vibrating only one part of his body, an example being his hands.
- Bodily vibration: Barry has the ability to vibrate some or all of his cells and overall parts of his body on command, with varying effects based on the speed and intensity of the vibrational energy he uses. Being able to move any part of his body at varying speed and intensity, Barry is able to vibrate at varying frequencies and with different levels of force. This stems into his ability to create small tremor like effects on any object or person he touches by shaking them at super speed or making physical contact with a target while he is vibrating. It also stems with his ability to change his frequency to that of air and become intangible, by vibrating at such a frequency. He has used this particular ability to shake a test tube when his centrifuge wasn't working and often to vibrate his face to hide his identity and his vocal cords to alter his voice as Flash. The latter application of this power acts a natural voice filter, much like that of Oliver Queen, Malcolm Merlyn, and Sara Lance.
- Speed vacuum: With accelerated speed, Barry can control air flow on all levels by moving through them fast enough and create vacuums with his accelerated movements.
- Time travel: Barry can move so fast that he can break open holes in the fabric of time and space, allowing him to travel backwards and forwards through time. Arguably his speed's most powerful facet, this means he can alter events that have occurred, allowing him to tamper with the flow of time and possibly create new timelines. Currently this power is uncontrollable, most notably seen when Barry accidentally went back in time an entire day while running to counter the tidal wave Mark Mardon created to destroy Central City. Since Barry has moved at such speeds and has not traveled back in time, Wells theorized that his time travel experience was triggered by biochemical, emotional and mental conditions at the time, such as having a different amount of adrenaline, endorphins, dopamins and possibly other chemicals being produced in his body at a faster rate due to reacting to his surroundings and situation and exertion, while his emotional level was being similarly affected by his kiss with Iris before he changed time.
- Intangibility: Learning to vibrate all the cells in his body at the same frequency as air from "Dr. Wells", Barry can allow himself to seamlessly pass through any solid target unfazed. He seems able to selectively choose which matter he phases together with him through something else and also with people, as he was seen (presumably) phasing Eddie and Joe both in and out of moving vehicles in conjunction with his incredible speed, or he just did it by moving so fast that he could grab them, open the car door, close the car door and, with them, run to another car, open the door, close it and put them in all in an instant
- Flight: Barry is so fast that, with enough momentum, he can propel himself through the air and move across it, just as he can move liquid or solid surfaces, as well defy gravitational force and not be pulled down easily by it. He can push off any form of matter, though he would need other masses, such as falling debris of various sizes to run on air, unless the air is moving at a speed that generates force which he can utilize to move across it or if he is moving at a speed that is far beyond supersonic, such as the speed of light. No matter the substance, he can to create movement and move on or through any matter if he is moving at the right speed and utilizing the right amount of force and momentum.
- Electrokinesis: As a speedster, Barry can produce powerful yellow electricity from his body and use it in any way he chooses. While running at super speed, yellow static emanates off of him. By generating enough friction from his body or a specific part of it, Barry can produce a large, concentrated amount of yellow electricity and static. He can then unleash the accumulated energy on a target to deliver a strong static shock, allowing him for feats as such as restarting Cisco's heart. Barry also creates greater amounts of static electricity from his body than normal do to his enhanced movements and fast molecules. He is also capable of generating blue static, electrical sparks, though he does this unconsciously.
- High-level intellect: Barry is very intelligent. From a young age, he quickly showed a natural understanding and quick capacity to learn, making it hard for his foster-father Joe to help him with homework by the time he was twelve. Barry is also a very well-read individual, greatly impressing the award-winning professor Martin Stein. As a forensic officer, Barry has repeatedly been able to quickly analyze any given data and quickly form accurate theories on the given situation. With The Arrow, Barry correctly determined The Arrow's training background from his green attire, and that The Arrow has at least one accomplice.
- Forensic expert: Despite only being a forensic science assistant, Barry is a highly skilled forensics examiner. From a single glance of the crime scene, he can quickly determine much of the events that transpired.
- Expert engineer: Barry has (or will develop sometime before 2024) very advanced skill in technology, as at some point in the future he creates Gideon, very sophisticated artificial intelligence unit that's system was so complicated that even Cisco had no idea of how it works.
- Chemistry expert: Barry's knowledge and skill in chemistry is very advanced, shown when he was terrified that nitric acid was next to hydrazine, and permanganates on top of acetone in the lab at Queen Consolidated, describing all 4 chemicals as the definition of dangerous. He was also able to cure Oliver Queen using only a small amount of rat poison after he was injured by Cyrus Gold and consequently dosed with a blood coagulant. This skill was also demonstrated when he used unknown types of chemicals to make a compressible micro-fabric green domino mask for Oliver, so he could conceal his identity more effectively than the grease paint Oliver was previously using without affecting Oliver's sight and, by extension, his aim.
- Hand-to-hand combatant: Despite not having many skills and experience in unarmed combat, Barry's superhuman speed, and reflexes combined with his intelligence makes him a formidable opponent alone. In "Flash vs. Arrow", he was able to fight Oliver as an equal (albeit Oliver was trying not to hurt him), despite the latter being more skilled and experienced in unarmed combat than he is.
- Skilled tactician: Barry is a capable tactician.
- Singing: While not a fan of it and being quite modest about it, Barry is shown to be a high quality singer. When being dragged into singing at a dive bar, it ultimately attracted the attention of Linda Park.
- Hyper-metabolism: While moving at accelerated speeds, Barry burns calories much faster than a normal person. This requires him to consume large amounts of nutrients to maintain his peak physical performance. Continued usage of his speed while deprived of such render him disoriented and weak before ultimately passing out as a result of low blood glucose. Also, because of his accelerated healing, he is unable to be given painkillers, sedatives, or anesthetics, as his body's metabolism burns through them too quickly for them to have any effect. Likewise, even a highly concentrated drug or toxin will only affect him for a few seconds of before completely wearing off.
- Cold temperatures: Because speed is produced by a build-up of heat in the target's atoms, Barry is vulnerable to extreme cold temperatures. Under these conditions, Barry's speed will be greatly reduced, and it will also temporarily stunt his healing capacities.
- Electricity absorption: Barry's unique biology causes his body to produce massive amounts of electricity, which charges his molecules and allows him to accelerate his movement. This electricity charges his cells, which gives him his speed. Should Barry be drained of this electrical energy, he will lose his enhanced speed power. However, this power is genetically coded to his DNA, meaning he is incapable of losing his potential for enhanced speed, but the electricity in his body is needed to jump start it. If this electricity is absorbed by another source, such as in the case with the electricity vampire Blackout, all of Barry's powers will be suppressed, including his healing and accelerated perception. Much like an electrical device, which needs to recharge, he must electrify himself to a great extent in order to jump start his powers once more.
- The Flash suit: Barry wears a protective suit as his superhero alter-ego, The Flash, to hide his identity from his enemies when he goes out fighting crime. The costume is made out of a reinforced tri-polymer and is heat and abrasive resistant, organically designed to replace firefighter turnouts. It was re-purposed to help protect Barry from the vigor's of his speed and survive certain environments. It also includes built-in sensors to track Barry's vitals, location, power output, speed level, and allows them to stay in contact with him from S.T.A.R. Labs, however, Barry's communication device can be deactivated by turning his ear piece off. The suit was designed by Cisco Ramon at S.T.A.R. Labs. There is also a lightning-bolt at the center of the suit.
- Hidden Camera: During the week between "Flash vs. Arrow" and "The Brave and the Bold", Cisco had installed a mini-camera in the emblem on Barry's suit to allow his team live video coverage in order to see where he is and better assist him in dangerous situations.
- Earpieces: On his suit's cowl, Cisco installed two lightning-bolt shaped earpieces on Barry's suit to maintain a communication link while he's in the the field. The devices also include headset cameras to maintain video coverage, but for some reason hasn't been used yet.
- "The Scientist"
- "Three Ghosts"
- "Blast Radius" (mentioned)
- "The Man Under the Hood" (mentioned)
- "City of Blood" (mentioned)
- "The Calm"
- "The Brave and the Bold"
- "Uprising" (mentioned)
- "Public Enemy" (mentioned)
- "Broken Arrow" (mentioned)
- "My Name Is Oliver Queen"
- "Fastest Man Alive"
- "Things You Can't Outrun"
- "Going Rogue"
- "The Flash Is Born"
- "Power Outage"
- "Flash vs. Arrow"
- "The Man in the Yellow Suit"
- "Revenge of the Rogues"
- "The Sound and the Fury"
- "Crazy for You"
- "The Nuclear Man"
- "Out of Time"
- "Rogue Time"
- "All Star Team Up"
- "Who is Harrison Wells?"
- "The Trap"
- "Grodd Lives"
- "Rogue Air"
- "Fast Enough"
The Flash: Season Zero
- "The Strongman Cometh"
- "Who Let the Chimps Out?"
- "A Goodnight Hiss"
- "Big Top Brawl"
- "The Talented Mr. Bliss"
- "A Captive Audience"
- He tends to be late for everything, a homage to the fact that in the DC comics Barry would be late for everything to keep his identity as The Flash a secret, though in the Arrow universe it's just because he is unlucky.
- The original DC comic book version of Barry Allen has blond hair and blue eyes, whereas the Barry Allen in Arrow has dark brown hair and hazel eyes.
- In the DC comics, Barry's mother was murdered by Eobard Thawne, better known as Professor Zoom or the Reverse-Flash. This was confirmed to be true in the series, as Wells was actually Eobard Thawne in disguise.
- In the DC multiverse Barry Allen is the second person to take up the superhero mantle of The Flash, after Jay Garrick.
- Just like his DC comic book version, Barry has a hyper-accelerated metabolism and must regularly take in a very high caloric intake to avoid losing energy and passing out. To remedy this, Cisco Ramon created a very calorie-dense series of protein bars for Barry to eat in order to avoid hypoglycemia.
- Despite Barry's Flash costume being red, when he runs at high velocity speeds, the electricity that radiates off of him is actually yellow not red, another homage to the DC comic book Barry Allen.
- In the DC comics, Barry got his powers by being struck by lightning and and having unknown chemicals falling on top of him. In the Arrow/The Flash universe Barry gets his powers from the particle accelerator enhanced Lightning and having unknown chemicals falling on top of him.
- Both Barry Allen and Eobard Thawne, aside from wearing masks, conceal their identities by vibrating the molecules of their faces. This is very similar to how Jay Garrick/The First Flash hid his identity whenever his helmet fell off during The Golden Age of Comic Books(1938-1957).
- Barry in the series, has many elements taken from Wally West.
Behind the scenes
- In 2014, The Flash is the third DC-owned character to have its own television broadcasted show on The CW, following Smallville and Arrow.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Going Rogue"
- ↑ "Plastique"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "The Flash Is Born"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 "Pilot"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Fastest Man Alive"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "A Goodnight Hiss"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 "The Scientist"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "Three Ghosts"
- ↑ "Blast Radius"
- ↑ "The Man Under the Hood"
- ↑ "The Calm"
- ↑ "The Strongman Cometh"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "Who Let the Chimps Out?"
- ↑ "Big Top Brawl"
- ↑ "The Talented Mr. Bliss"
- ↑ "A Captive Audience"
- ↑ "Things You Can't Outrun"
- ↑ "Power Outage"
- ↑ "Flash vs. Arrow"
- ↑ "The Brave and the Bold"
- ↑ "The Man in the Yellow Suit"