- "All are equal in the court of Camelot."
- —King Arthur to the Legends[src]
Arthur was the king of Camelot in 507 AD. He and his wife Guinevere ruled Camelot together and fought to maintain a rule of peace and justice. Their kingdom's culture and technology progressed far beyond that of their era due to the guidance of the time traveler Stargirl, who posed as their court mage "Merlin", the chief advisor of Camelot's court. During her time there, Stargirl had fallen in love with him.
Arthur was in the throne room, seated at the Round Table, when Guinevere returned with the Legends. They claimed that they were travelers looking to prevent evil, though he accused them of being in league with the Black Knight who was kidnapping his own knights as of late. He then summoned for Merlin to see if they were indeed trustworthy and the Legends were surprised to see that it was their friend Stargirl, who verified their credentials.
Arthur went out on a hunt, and he and his men were ambushed by Damien Darhk. Damien had him at swordpoint and Arthur claimed he preferred to die then surrender to him. Rip Hunter then appeared and told him that he wasn't going to die and that they had plans for him. He was then fitted with mind control technology from the distant future and made to follow Rip's commands. He led them into his castle where he held a knife to Stargirl's throat as they demanded the fragment of the Spear of Destiny she had. When a fight broke out, he killed Sir Galahad before Rip had him hold a dagger to his own throat, holding him hostage. He was made to fight against his queen and own knights at dawn but Martin Stein and Mick Rory managed to short out the mind control and gave him back control of his senses. He then went out and unhorsed Rip Hunter and helped the Legends take him prisoner. When they were leaving, he pulled Amaya Jiwe aside and told her that their exploits would be forever remembered in Camelot.
Due to the broken time created due to the Legends meeting themselves from different time periods and destroying the Spear of Destiny together, Arthur became an anachronism, ending up in the Spanish Civil War. To prevent time aberrations, Rip Hunter's Time Bureau agents retrieved Arthur and brought him to 2017. Recognizing Rip as the "evil sorcerer" from the times of Camelot, Arthur tried to swipe at him, but was restrained by the agents, before his memory got wiped out.
At some point, Merlin crafted a protection spell in Brittonic that would give Arthur additional chances to resurrect himself from death based on the number of lesser knights that died in battle with him. John Constantine learned this spell and replicated it on Chas Chandler.
Powers and abilities
- Protection spell/Resurrection: Merlin cast a protection spell on Arthur that would give him extra chances to survive lethal wounds based on the number of souls belonging to lesser knights who fell in battle beside him.
- Expert leader: Arthur was honed into a fair and just leader of Camelot, respected by his knights and his people.
- Skilled swordsman: Arthur was a skilled swordsman, who personally led his knights into battle.
- Limited souls: The protection spell gives Arthur only as many chances at resurrection as the number of people who died around him when the spell was cast.
- "Quid Pro Quo" (mentioned)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- In the real world, King Arthur is a legendary British leader who, according to medieval histories and romances, led the defence of Britain against Saxon invaders in the late 5th and early 6th centuries AD. His existence, however, is disputed, as much of his story is composed of folklore and literary invention.