- "Do it John. Do it for Laurel."
- —Andy Diggle while being held at gunpoint from John Diggle[src]
Sergeant Andrew "Andy" Diggle, Sr. (died 2016), or simply Andy Diggle, was a former bodyguard and crime lord. He was thought to be assassinated by Floyd Lawton, causing his brother John much distress, but he was actually recruited by the criminal organization H.I.V.E. to become one of their Ghosts. Years later, Andy was found to be alive and was seemingly reformed by Team Arrow, only for it to be revealed that he'd been loyal to H.I.V.E. all along. After causing the death of Laurel Lance and attempting to harm John's wife and child, having failed so many times to bring his brother back, John was forced to shoot Andy dead much to his distress.
Andy was a drug dealer in 2005 and was caught by John, who beat him until his knuckles bled. He convinced Andy to enroll in the army, hoping it would set him on the correct path.
While serving time in the army, Andy spent time in Afghanistan and went back to selling drugs, becoming a crime lord. It was later revealed that Andy had been working with John and Andy's CO Lieutenant Joyner and Joyner's boss, Baron Reiter.
Sometime after 2010, while working as a bodyguard, Andy was shot by Deadshot, who was hired by H.I.V.E. and presumed dead. His death however, was faked by H.I.V.E., who hired him for their operations. His faked assassination was cleverly covered up by Lawton to make it look like he was targeting Andy's client but in reality, Andy was the target. Unknown to Deadshot, his bullets were swapped with a non-lethal round that made the victim appear dead.
Working for H.I.V.E.
While under the influence of H.I.V.E., Andy served as a "ghost". While attacked by Team Arrow, Andy had the opportunity to kill his brother but hesitated and ran off. Andy was captured by Team Arrow and held prisoner at their hideout. John questioned Andy about if everything in Damien Darhk, H.I.V.E.'s leader's file was true and Andy confirmed the evidence.
Betraying Team Arrow
It is revealed he was actually working for Darhk and helped him escape prison, which led to the death of Team Arrow member Laurel Lance. John would eventually come to terms with Andy's madness and killed him.
Before H.I.V.E. faked his death, Andy was a normal person who loved his brother. He went on to become a drug dealer but was caught by John. He tried with all his efforts to kick his drug dealer habit, but he wasn't able abandon it as it was who he was. He did try hard enough to make John believe he had abandoned drugs for good. He also loved his brother John, his wife Carly, and his son A.J..
After H.I.V.E. faked his death, Andy became very cold and indifferent. When John confronted him with the files of him being a drug lord, he apathetically told him all of it was true with no guilt or remorse whatsoever. The love he had for his wife and son had vanished too as he shows no sorrow when John shows him pictures of them and John even remarks that a real man would have asked to see photos of their family. Once John took Lyla's advice to treat him like a brother rather than a criminal, Andy started opening up and becoming more responsive. He later seemingly redeemed himself when he helped John save Lyla. However, this redemption proved to be nothing more than a façade as Andy was still in contact with H.I.V.E. and ascended to a high-ranking position. When confronted about his new betrayal by John, Andy scoffed at John's continued refusal to make the "necessary" choices. Forfeiting all personal ties to his family, he declared his only family is H.I.V.E. with pride. Showing how far his morals have dropped and desired for power had become, he with sadistic pleasure tortured his older brother and even attempted to kill John's wife and daughter.
- Peak of human physical condition: As a former soldier, and a H.I.V.E. operative, Andy was in top physical condition.
- Military training: Andy served in the army and received extensive military training.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Andy was highly skilled in hand-to-hand combat. He was gaining the upper hand against Thea (under the persona of Speedy) in a prolonged fight before she managed to shoot him.
- Great Deceiver: Andy was shown to be great at deception, as he was able to fool his brother and others for months that he wasn't under Darhk's influence anymore.
- High tolerance for pain: When Green Arrow started hurting him, Andy was still able to pretend to be on Team Arrow's side. He even took an arrow to his upper chest, just to prove his loyalty.
Behind the scenes
- Andy is likely named after Andy Diggle, the author of Green Arrow: Year One, upon which the first season of Arrow is largely based.
- In the Arrow comic chapter, "Aftermath", Andy is stated to have died on April 8, 2009. However, this was retconned in-show in the Arrow episode, "The Return", in which he is still shown to be alive in 2010. The date is further confused when John Diggle is told by an A.R.G.U.S. agent in "Restoration" that Lawton was hired "to do a hit back in oh-nine". Furthermore, in "Brotherhood", John claims that Andy let his family believe he was dead for eight years, putting it in around late 2007.