- "Anansi. A trickster god. According to a legend he fashioned a totem which he gave... ...To a warrior named Tantu."
- —Professor Macalester to Mari McCabe about Anansi[src]
Anansi is or was a trickster god.
Anansi Totem was passed through generations, eventually ending in possession of Mari McCabe. While she read about Anansi in the encyclopedia, she were not aware of totem's powers until her adulthood.
Powers and abilities
- Magic Anansi possesses a rather unlimited and unspecified amount of magic powers.
- Spider physiology: Anansi's true form was that of a spider.
- Totem/Jewelry creation: Anansi was capable of producing jewels such as Anansi Totem.
- Anansi Totem: Anansi channels his power through it.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics Anansi (also known as Kwaku Anansi and Anansi the Spider) is also a creator of Tantu Totem and a trickster god in West African folklore, also being an enemy to the Justice League and a source of power for several animal-based superheroes including Animal Man and Vixen.
- In real life Anansi is a prominent figure in Western African folklore often takes the shape of a spider and is considered to be the spirit of all knowledge of stories. Aforementioned DC comics character is based on this mythological character.