- "You barely defeated Malcolm Merlyn, at nearly the cost of your own life. What hope would you have against the man who trained him?"
- —Al-Owal taunting Oliver Queen[src]
Al-Owal (Arabic: الأول; for The First) (died 2013) was a sword-wielding assassin and a member of the League of Assassins. He, along with two other members of the League, attempted to bring back Sara Lance to Ra's al Ghul.
Al-Owal broke into Queen Mansion and attacked both Oliver and Sara. During their fight he almost killed Sara before Oliver gained the upper hand, forcing him to retreat. He later fought both Sara and Oliver at a pesticide factory which he was using as a base, however he was unable to defeat them. Al-Owal later confronted Sara at her hideout with members of the League of Assassins. The Arrow arrived in time and they engaged in a fight. Al-Owal was killed by Sara when she snapped his neck. Sara hoped this would prevent details of her circumstances getting back to the League.
- Peak of human physical condition: As a highly skilled assassin, Al-Owal was in top physical condition for a man of his age. He had phenomenal reflexes, that allowed him to catch an arrow shot at him by Oliver, (a feat that only highly skilled individuals have accomplished) and done so from behind his head.
- League of Assassins training: Al-Owal had gone through the training all League members do. He likely possessed skills with a variety of other melee weapons such as swords.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: As a member of the League of Assassins, Al-Owal was a master martial artist; in "League of Assassins", he was able to take on both Oliver and Sara at the same time. Even while injured in the leg by a trap he was still able to overpower Sara, though they both seemed quite evenly matched at the time.
- Master swordsman: Al-Owal is a master swordsman, able to hold his own against Oliver and Sara.
- Al-Owal is the sixth person on the show to demonstrate the ability to catch an arrow in midair, after Billy Wintergreen, Helena Bertinelli, Malcolm Merlyn, Slade Wilson, and Oliver Queen. Oliver caught a flechette in mid air thrown by Roy Harper.
- ↑ ""